Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA,UA,Hilton,Wyndham,Hyatt
Custom Cash product change to Rewards+

Currently have a Custom Cash card with 63K TYP and signed up for the Premier late last year and have 90K TYP. Both of these have separate TYP accounts and I have not merged them yet. I wanted to product change the CC to the Rewards+ so I could take advantage of the 10% bonus for 100K per year by using the Premier to transfer. I wanted to know the following:

1) Will downgrading reset the clock for the Custom Cash card? There are DPs suggesting that if the card number is the same it will not reset the clock but there are also DPs suggesting a card number change will reset the SUB clock but the credit history remains untouched. Do I have this right?
2) Will the 63K TYP on the downgraded Rewards+ card be expiring in 60 days or does this also depend on the card number being the same or not?
3) Will the two TYP accounts have to be merged after downgrading the Custom Cash card to take advantage of the 10% bonus or will it still issue 10% the rebate without merging accounts?

Please let me know if I have missed anything? Any other better ways?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:23 am

Point Transfer Issue

I signed up for the Citi Premiere, did the required spend and earned the 90k point bonus. After a year, I downgraded to a Citi rewards + card in October 2022, I was told the difference as far as earning points. I went to transfer points to Virgin Atlantic and online only saw 4 transfer options. So I called and one rep told me I had to have the premier card to transfer to Virgin. My question is I was never told my transfer options would be crap and I'd lose all decent ones when I downgraded. The points were earned when I had the Premier card, not sure that matters. Is there any argument for me to be able to transfer the points to Virgin since it was never stated I would lose transfer partner options? The card is useless to me otherwise since I don't use the 4 current transfer partners so there isn't a point in me even keeping the Rewards + card. I'd hate to have to have another hard pull to upgrade back to the premiere to transfer the points if that is an option. Not sure if this is a buyer beware situation, but I feel like during the downgrade process I should of been told this, I would of never downgraded or transferred points first. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bonesaz
...The card is useless to me otherwise since I don't use the 4 current transfer partners so there isn't a point in me even keeping the Rewards + card
You may cancel the downgrade within a certain period (I recall 45 days from the time of initial request). That info is typically buried in speed-read disclosures (along with the features gained and lost due to the downgrade).
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:55 am

Thanks, I downgraded in October, so its been about 4 months.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I've tried reading through this thread but I'm still a little confused about what to do. I've had a Citi Premier (I'll call this 'premier a') and a double cash for several years. I have a few hundred thousand thank you points from them, and their rewards are linked. I recently opened a second Citi premier (premier b), and the rewards from this card to not seem to be merged with the others. The annual fee just hit on the first Premier card (premier a). I'd like to cancel or downgrade 'Premier a' to avoid having to pay this fee. But I have a lot of TY points and I want to preserve them to transfer to partners in the future. Do I need to link the rewards accounts first, or does that even matter? I definitely don't want the points from Premier a card to expire in 90 days. If downgrading to another Citi card is the best answer, which card is best for preserving my points (and keeping the ability to transfer them to partners in the future)?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
....I recently opened a second Citi premier (premier b), and the rewards from this card to not seem to be merged with the others.
This does not happen automatically, you need to do this if you want to rely on Premier B to be able to Transfer points earned with your other cards after Premier A is downgraded to Rewards+ or Custom Cash.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:37 am

I've tried reading through this thread but I'm still a little confused about what to do. I've had a Citi Premier (I'll call this 'premier a') and a double cash for several years. I have a few hundred thousand thank you points from them, and their rewards are linked. I recently opened a second Citi premier (premier b), and the rewards from this card to not seem to be merged with the others. The annual fee just hit on the first Premier card (premier a). I'd like to cancel or downgrade 'Premier a' to avoid having to pay this fee. But I have a lot of TY points and I want to preserve them to transfer to partners in the future. Do I need to link the rewards accounts first, or does that even matter? I definitely don't want the points from Premier a card to expire in 90 days. If downgrading to another Citi card is the best answer, which card is best for preserving my points (and keeping the ability to transfer them to partners in the future)?
I thought a 2nd citi premier card can not earn points. How did this happen? I thought Citi Premier point earning feature was only once per life time.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
This does not happen automatically, you need to do this if you want to rely on Premier B to be able to Transfer points earned with your other cards after Premier A is downgraded to Rewards+ or Custom Cash.
OK, so I can merge the rewards accounts, then downgrade Premier A to Rewards+ or Custom Cash? Do I have to call to merge them, or is there a way to do this online?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by misterno
I thought a 2nd citi premier card can not earn points. How did this happen? I thought Citi Premier point earning feature was only once per life time.
Are you referring to the signup bonus? You can earn a signup bonus on the Premier (or any citi card) as long as you haven't opened or closed that card product within 24 months. I'm pretty sure Amex is the only cc issuer with a once per lifetime rule.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:45 am
mia

Do I have to call to merge them, or is there a way to do this online?
This can be done online. I have done it, but many people find it easier to ask customer service to do it.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I upgraded my preferred to premier and my points now show they expire in one week, end of the month. Will they actually expire. Or is that a fake expiration date? Both have the same credit card number as far as I can tell.

I plan to use them to hold a hotel. But if I cancel the hotel after the expiration date. Will those points vanish?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:12 am

They won't expire. It's mentioned near the end of the wikipost at the top.
RedElmo likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What's the most optimal way to downgrade my Premier? I have 1 year anniversary coming up in September 2023.

Please let me know if I am missing any options

Option A:
Retention offer?

Option B:
Transfer out my points
Downgrade to a CCC/Rewards+

Is there any way to "use" the $100 hotel credit and not have it get clawbacked? From what I understand, it's not a statement credit but an actual discount at checkout?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
What's the most optimal way to downgrade my Premier? I have 1 year anniversary coming up in September 2023.

Please let me know if I am missing any options

Option A:
Retention offer?

Option B:
Transfer out my points
Downgrade to a CCC/Rewards+

Is there any way to "use" the $100 hotel credit and not have it get clawbacked? From what I understand, it's not a statement credit but an actual discount at checkout?
Your option B is actually two options. If you convert it to Rewards+, the points don’t expire so you don’t have to transfer them out.

You are correct that the $100 credit is discount at checkout and not statement credit. If you use the credit for the current membership year, I don’t see why would Citi claw it back?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 4:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Your option B is actually two options. If you convert it to Rewards+, the points don’t expire so you don’t have to transfer them out.
Correct, BUT Rewards+ does not allow transfers to airline or hotel partners. If that is the desired redemption it must be done before changing from Premier.
ithinkurdumb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.