Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you have a preference which TYP account number survives, log into that account first. Then look for a menu option to "combine" or "merge" accounts. I can't recall where it is, and no longer have multiple accounts to help you search for it.
The info you have provided are very helpful already. I will dig around the TYP website when I get a chance. Thanks.

LAX
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Combine accounts here: https://www.thankyou.com/combineMyAccounts.htm
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:27 am

I had asked in a different thread but since we’re talking about combining accounts, is there any example of the following that Citi warns about, “However, in some situations, you may lose access to certain redemption options if you combine ThankYou accounts.” When can this occur?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
I'm looking to "Downgrade" my Prestige card to Premier, by Applying for a new Premier card, then Cancelling my Prestige card.

There's a 80k SUB for the Premier that i THINK i qualify for. (have not received new or closed Rewards+, Preferred, Premier, Prestige within 24 months per stipulation)

What are the chances that my Premier card application will be approved?

I understand that TYP are not easily transferrable (expires, and has a limit). Are there any other potential pitfalls to my plan?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
...There's a 80k SUB for the Premier that i THINK i qualify for. (have not received new or closed Rewards+, Preferred, Premier, Prestige within 24 months per stipulation)
What are the chances that my Premier card application will be approved?
You qualify for the SUB. But that's an unrelated issue to getting approved for the Premier. No one will give you qualifications for getting approved. If you feel you're good credit risk, go ahead and try. Applying won't reset any clocks.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
TYP expiration for downgrade

I have Prestige and Thank you Premier. Opened thank you premier about 7-8 months ago, had prestige for 4 years. If I downgrade my TY Premier to custom cash I won’t lose any points earned from bonus or spend on thank you Premier OR start the clock on expiration of those since I have the Prestige, correct?

And the TYP I earn on custom cash will be the same as I earn on the Prestige, not the transfer only to Jet blue type, correct?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:00 am

For a Prestige cardholder; it seems like a smart choice to;
  1. Downgrade to Rewards+. This results in loss of transfer partners, and loss of ability to earn Rewards+ sign-on bonus
  2. Apply for $95/yr Citi Premier card.
  3. Spend 4K. Get 60k TYP from Premier card. Regain ability to transfer to TYP partners

Between steps 1 and 2, do I need to wait 24 months? Citi isn’t offering any retention bonuses for the Prestige card. IME, the 4th night benefit on the Prestige card is very YMMV. I don’t necessarily need another card with free priority pass and global entry.

Based on what I piece together; it would be unwise to go from Prestige to Premier, unless you had near term needs requiring transferring TYP to partners. This downgrade approach would eliminate your ability to get the 60k bonus with the Premier card.

Does all of this sound right?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by factory81
Does all of this sound right?
The steps are out of order. Open a new Premier card, then downgrade Prestige.
hurnik, MaxVO, levilevi and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mia
The steps are out of order. Open a new Premier card, then downgrade Prestige.
If one is looking to get the bonus, is it necessary to wait until the sign-up bonus is received before downgrade?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:10 am

I have a good number of TYP from a few cards over the past few years. None of the current cards are premium cards so I can’t transfer to the airlines I want. Today, I just activated a targeted offer I received in email to upgrade one of my Preferred cards to Premier, but my account still shows Preferred and my points still aren’t transferrable. I understand Citi cards can take a while to convert. When can I expect my points to be available to transfer to those programs? Days? Weeks?
Old May 28, 2022, 10:40 am

I just closed my Prestige card. I have two other TY point earning cards already (Double Cash and Premier) and all my TY are pooled together in a combined TY account.

Reps were unable to tell me how many TY point were tied to my Prestige account as I know once you close an account, the points from that account expire within 60 days. My points across my TY credit cards are pooled together so there doesn't seem to be a way to tell. The steps in the wiki do not give me any information about points per account or any that are expiring. Does anyone here know how to find out?
Old May 28, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
...Reps were unable to tell me how many TY point were tied to my Prestige account as I know once you close an account, the points from that account expire within 60 days.
There is a nuance to the terminology, and it's relevant. Points earned on closed CC still do not expire, but you forfeit them in 60 days. The difference is that the expiration dates can be displayed in your summary table. Points subject to forfeiture just evaporate without notice.

I think it's still possible to display the original account that earned each pool of points. But I haven't tried that in a long time, so not completely sure how it will work right now. If you see how many remaining points are due to your Prestige, and there are no points expiring prior to the forfeiture, you can redeem that amount right away.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
I just closed my Prestige card. I have two other TY point earning cards already (Double Cash and Premier) and all my TY are pooled together in a combined TY account.

Reps were unable to tell me how many TY point were tied to my Prestige account as I know once you close an account, the points from that account expire within 60 days. My points across my TY credit cards are pooled together so there doesn't seem to be a way to tell. The steps in the wiki do not give me any information about points per account or any that are expiring. Does anyone here know how to find out?
Originally Posted by MaxVO
There is a nuance to the terminology, and it's relevant. Points earned on closed CC still do not expire, but you forfeit them in 60 days. The difference is that the expiration dates can be displayed in your summary table. Points subject to forfeiture just evaporate without notice.

I think it's still possible to display the original account that earned each pool of points. But I haven't tried that in a long time, so not completely sure how it will work right now. If you see how many remaining points are due to your Prestige, and there are no points expiring prior to the forfeiture, you can redeem that amount right away.
An update on this: After a few days I logged into my TY account and there was an "!" by the point balance total. I clicked it and the link for "Points Summary". There it said I had a certain amount of points expiring and I could see the reason ("Closure"), the account ("Prestige"), and the expiration date.

So, long story short, even if your points are pooled from across multiple Citi accounts, the system will display the total points that expire in 60 days from a closed account - but it may take a few days to show. However, it seems Citi representatives (both customer service and TY reps) can't see this total until the account closure takes place.
sdsearch, ithinkurdumb and MaxVO like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K
Hi, I've read the master Wiki and many of these pages and I am a bit confused, so forgive me.

My Prestige is due for renewal and, frankly, I am not getting $495 of value from it. (My go-to card is now the Venture X.) Still, I don't want to lose all of my TYP and would prefer to retain airline transfer as an immediate option. Nor do I want to prospectively transfer them to an airline partner now without a trip in mind. (I have enough miles already sitting at LifeMiles.)

My understanding is that the only solution is to downgrade to Premier, correct? Will this keep the miles from expiring?

Is another option to open a new Premier and then cancel Prestige? I'd like to get the 80K SUB but I fear Prestige cancellation will still expire those Prestige miles in 60 days and may also negate the SUB once miles post 3 months from now.

TIA for your advice.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by UALCASTRO
Hi, I've read the master Wiki and many of these pages and I am a bit confused, so forgive me.

My Prestige is due for renewal and, frankly, I am not getting $495 of value from it. (My go-to card is now the Venture X.) Still, I don't want to lose all of my TYP and would prefer to retain airline transfer as an immediate option. Nor do I want to prospectively transfer them to an airline partner now without a trip in mind. (I have enough miles already sitting at LifeMiles.)

My understanding is that the only solution is to downgrade to Premier, correct? Will this keep the miles from expiring?

Is another option to open a new Premier and then cancel Prestige? I'd like to get the 80K SUB but I fear Prestige cancellation will still expire those Prestige miles in 60 days and may also negate the SUB once miles post 3 months from now.

TIA for your advice.
As I understand it: open a new Premier and downgrade Prestige to Rewards+ or Custom Cash.
UALCASTRO and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.