Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
.... I can downgrade my Prestige to a Rewards+ and then transfer its TY points to my Premier without any 60/90 day deadline kicking in......
Close.You can Share points from Rewards+ with Premier, just before you need them, but Shared points do expire.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Close.You can Share points from Rewards+ with Premier, just before you need them, but Shared points do expire.
Ah, good to know. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mia
NO. Citi tracks the card account that earned the points. If that account is closed the points will expire. No exceptions. The only ways to keep the points is to DOWNGRADE to Rewards+ or Preferred (if still available) It is unclear if downgrading to Double Cash will preserve points because Double Cash does not natively earn TYP, it only offers them as a redemption option.
Just checking on whether the situation with downgrading to a Double Cash card (rather than Rewards +) and retaining points is any clearer. As indicated by the immediately prior posts here, I'm interested because: 1) I will be looking to downgrade my Prestige card soon and 2) because my wife just downgraded her Premier card to Rewards+ and I am wondering whether switching it to DC is at all viable for retaining points.

Thanks for any updates/advice.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all, despite all the current circumstances.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Just checking on whether the situation with downgrading to a Double Cash card (rather than Rewards +) and retaining points is any clearer. As indicated by the immediately prior posts here, I'm interested because: 1) I will be looking to downgrade my Prestige card soon and 2) because my wife just downgraded her Premier card to Rewards+ and I am wondering whether switching it to DC is at all viable for retaining points.

Thanks for any updates/advice.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all, despite all the current circumstances.
It's almost certain that downgrading to DoubleCash will wipe out your points, because DoubleCash is technically not a ThankYou points card.

The answer won't be any more conclusive until someone decides to be a guinea pig and test out converting TYP AF to DC, instead of avoiding converting TYP AF to DC because we tell them it likely won't work. Only hard data about someone who tried it will answer the question for sure.

Do you want to be that guinea pig?

Btw, you can't count on getting an answer from Citi, because Citi is known for telling people wrong info left and right.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's almost certain that downgrading to DoubleCash will wipe out your points, because DoubleCash is technically not a ThankYou points card.

The answer won't be any more conclusive until someone decides to be a guinea pig and test out converting TYP AF to DC, instead of avoiding converting TYP AF to DC because we tell them it likely won't work. Only hard data about someone who tried it will answer the question for sure.

Do you want to be that guinea pig?

Btw, you can't count on getting an answer from Citi, because Citi is known for telling people wrong info left and right.
Thanks for this very useful reply. Much appreciated. And no, I certainly don't want to be the guinea pig.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My AF is due in a few days for Prestige. I doubt I’ll get a retention offer so will either cancel or downgrade. Can anyone advise on what I can do with 5k TY points and how long I have to do it? I vaguely remember reading that TYP can’t be moved between cards.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My AF is due in a few days for Prestige. I doubt I’ll get a retention offer so will either cancel or downgrade. Can anyone advise on what I can do with 5k TY points and how long I have to do it? I vaguely remember reading that TYP can’t be moved between cards.
You'll have 60 days to use them (per Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations - FlyerTalk Forums). If you don't want to transfer them to a travel partner, I'd probably just use them for account credit (assuming there are charges on your Prestige) or redeem for discounted gift cards.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:36 am
mia

If you close Prestige the points will expire in 60 days. If you downgrade to Premier or Rewards+ they will not expire.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:18 am

If I down grade my Citi Premier to Rewards+, will i able to transfer those thank you point out to those partner airplane after the down grade to Rewards+ in 6 month later?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
If I down grade my Citi Premier to Rewards+, will i able to transfer those thank you point out to those partner airplane after the down grade to Rewards+ in 6 month later?
No, you will not be able to Transfer unless you hold a card with that feature (Premier or Prestige)
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For those who closed their Citibank TYP-earning card (and perhaps even also the TYP account) but have a refundable flight ticket booked using TYPs, what happens to the funds from the ticket cancellation/refund? Does Citi provide cash value of the refund back directly to the former card member via check?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by GUWonder
.... Does Citi provide cash value of the refund back directly to the former card member via check?
Recent discussion: TYP Points Refund But Card Account Now Closed
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:51 pm

Prestige or new card first

Annual fee just hit so I’m going to call retentions. Most offers I read are not great even including the $250 restaurant and supermarket credit.

Should I apply for a thank you card first, then downgrade? Is it better to just downgrade to a no fee version?

I have another thank you card open for several years but if I close the prestige are the points less valuable?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dantrav
... I have another thank you card open for several years but if I close the prestige are the points less valuable?
TY Premier card give you same transfer to airlines option. Rewards+ provides a 10% rebate on any redemptions. So having these two together is a good option.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Dantrav
Annual fee just hit so I’m going to call retentions. Most offers I read are not great even including the $250 restaurant and supermarket credit.

Should I apply for a thank you card first, then downgrade? Is it better to just downgrade to a no fee version?

I have another thank you card open for several years but if I close the prestige are the points less valuable?
you may not have enough time to pull off the 'get new SUB, downgrade old card, refund AF' trick

and on top of all that, citi itself is not reliable / trusty in how they compute all the day count

you could call in and ask about your specific situation, but Citi CSRs are unreliable in what info/rules they provide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.