Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by tbm13
I read some reports online that it can take up to 30 days for the downgrade from Prestige to Rewards+ to take effect, and this could result in only a pro-rated annual fee refund as you go beyond 37 days.
I have Citi Prestige renewal annual fee coming up in about a month (last year's $495 fee hit on Nov 5), but with zero traveling happening at the moment it's no longer worth it from the bonus points perspective or from the Priority Pass benefit so the card is definitely getting canceled/downgraded. However, I was thinking of holding the card until the new year in order to use the $250 credit and then downgrading to Rewards+ get a pro-rated credit. Last year's travel credit hit on Feb 5th, so I guess that would mean essentially a 3 month hold of the card in order to get a pro-rated credit of $371.25 after paying a $495 annual fee in November. However, I'm not sure if this would allow me the travel credit and then to downgrade immediately while also using the travel credit benefit. Anyone know the rules about this?

Last edited by Khabibul35; Oct 7, 2020 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 4:57 pm

When downgrading Citi TY cards - do product changes that result in a new card number reset the 24-month bonus clock?

I know that product changes do not reset the 24-month bonus clock when the card number stays the same. My question is only about product changes that result in a new card number being issued (eg. downgrading Premier to Rewards+).
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mster
When downgrading Citi TY cards - do product changes that result in a new card number reset the 24-month bonus clock?
No, a new card number, in and of itself, is NOT the same as closing or opening an account. See post 7 in this thread for some evidence: Is Citi's "Conversion" the same as "Product Change"?
Many other posters will tell you that a new card number does reset the clock. Ask for evidence.
hurnik and mster like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You can only keep from expiring if you downgrade from Premier to Rewards+. If you outright cancel the Premier card, the points will expire after 60 days, and you can't stop that by moving those points around. Citi keeps track of which card account every single TYP points was earned on, once that card account is closed, all of those points earned on that card account are subject to quick expiration.

By the way, an update to what I wrote to you before: After I wrote that, Virgin Atlantic announced their points no longer expire at all, so that's a new "safe" transfer possibility, though since Virgin Atlantic is not part of an alliance (and I'm not familiar with its program partners) I'm not sure what flexibility points transferred there would have for travel on any other airlines.
Thanks for that info on Virgin Atlantic! That would be a nice option to use in flying ANA (if their partnership continues), but I also have been thinking lately of transfering it to Jetblue. Though the value would be a downgrade from initial plan of transferring it to Singapore Airlines, Jetblue is probable as their points don't expire and there may be usage of them as I'm in the NYC metro area where Jetblue is based. So it's probably down to Virgin or Jetblue.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
Correct. You must keep the same account open.
Thanks for the confirmation Mia!
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, a new card number, in and of itself, is NOT the same as closing or opening an account. See post 7 in this thread for some evidence: Is Citi's "Conversion" the same as "Product Change"?
Many other posters will tell you that a new card number does reset the clock. Ask for evidence.
Is there evidence that a conversion that results in a new card number does not reset the clock though? The lack of data points either way is frustrating...
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:06 pm

In theory if
(1) you're at > 24 months since your last citi open / close / bonus
(2) you product change a Prestige card and the number stays the same

Could you then apply for a new Prestige a month or two later and still be eligible for the welcome bonus?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 8:27 pm

You can only keep from expiring if you downgrade from Premier to Rewards+. If you outright cancel the Premier card, the points will expire after 60 days, and you can't stop that by moving those points around. Citi keeps track of which card account every single TYP points was earned on, once that card account is closed, all of those points earned on that card account are subject to quick expiration.

By the way, an update to what I wrote to you before: After I wrote that, Virgin Atlantic announced their points no longer expire at all, so that's a new "safe" transfer possibility, though since Virgin Atlantic is not part of an alliance (and I'm not familiar with its program partners) I'm not sure what flexibility points transferred there would have for travel on any other airlines.
Actually, I have another thought and was wondering if this will work. I originally signed up for the Premier card in 10/26/2018 so 24 months is coming up, so if I downgrade it to the Reward +, can I sign up for the Premier in another few months? If so, how many months must I wait before signing up?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
A....how many months must I wait before signing up?
You need to read the terms of the current Premier offer:

Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these accounts, in the past 24 months.
...and lookup when you last received a bonus -or- closed any of the cards mentioned. The date that you opened an account is not important.
hurnik likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
You need to read the terms of the current Premier offer:

...and lookup when you last received a bonus -or- closed any of the cards mentioned. The date that you opened an account is not important.
Thanks Mia for that info. Yes I read the terms and realized my 24 months from receiving the Premier bonus is coming up--I received it on 12//08/2018. But I wanted to confirm if downgrading my Premier now to Rewards + (instead of closing it), will I be able to receive a new Premier sign up bonus if I sign up in 01/2021? Thanks again!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Just to confirm my understanding...

If you simply downgrade a CIti Prestige card to a Premier card:
  • Your TY points accumulated under the Prestige card will stay without an expiration.
  • You will still be able to transfer them to travel partners just like with the Prestige?
Is that accurate? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by david22
Just to confirm my understanding...

If you simply downgrade a CIti Prestige card to a Premier card:
  • Your TY points accumulated under the Prestige card will stay without an expiration.
  • You will still be able to transfer them to travel partners just like with the Prestige?
Is that accurate? Thanks.
Yes.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:01 am

Quick product change data points:
(1) Premier Rewards+ = Rewards+ kept same card # as Premier
(2) Prestige → Rewards+ = Rewards+ issued with new card #

It's unclear if card number change during product conversion affects bonus eligibility in Citi's system or not. It does appear from the above data points and a number of others I've seen shared that product changing from a Citi Premier card is slightly less likely to result in a new card number than product changing from a Citi Prestige card.

Product changing from Prestige to Premier (or vice versa) should be the type of product change least likely to result in a new card number being issued though. These cards are very closely related - both full Citi ThankYou cards with transfer partner access, both World Elite Mastercards etc..

Last edited by mster; Oct 12, 2020 at 7:13 am
Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:22 am

Can I downgrade to rewards+ Online or do I need to call?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Help re clarifying downgrade and transfer rules

While you can keep your points around by downgrading the Prestige to the no-AF Rewards+ card, that card doesn't allow you to transfer to any airlines (except I think JetBlue). However, if you do that, and then later apply for the Premier card, at that point you will be able to transfer to other airlines.
Based on the above and other posts I've read on this site, please let me know if I have the following right:

1. My wife might cancel her Premier card. (She has no other Citi cards.) She can retain her TY points if she instead downgrades it to a Rewards+ card without any 60/90 day deadline kicking in. But she won't be able to use those points for any airline transfer other than JetBlue. Is that correct?
2. I will definitely cancel my Prestige card. I also have a Premier card. I can downgrade my Prestige to a Rewards+ and then transfer its TY points to my Premier without any 60/90 day deadline kicking in. And all the combined TY points (previously Prestige plus those already in Premier) in my Premier card can all be used for all airline transfers. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 13, 2020 at 5:08 pm Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.