Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk
I closed my Premier via the automated system. Before this, I had my Premier and Prestige points pooled. Does anyone know if I will lose any points as a result of the closure? Or will it automatically go into the remaining card?
Do you mean the points you earned that haven't posted yet?

Originally Posted by mia
The points earned with Premier will expire in 60 days. You could have avoided this by downgrading to Rewards+, rather than closing, but now you need to redeem those points.
There are lots of data points prior, but when I closed my premier card (via a human) she said in about 1-2 months my points would then start their countdown to expiration, which would be 60 days.
And there have been people posting that that actually didn't happen.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And there have been people posting that that actually didn't happen.
There have been reports that DOWNGRADED accounts display a very short point expiration date, but do not actually expire.

I do not recall any reports of CLOSED accounts where the points do not expire. Of course this might happen, but if there is no way to know in advance, and no recourse if the points do expire, what practical benefit is there to knowing that the terms are not followed in every instance?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There have been reports that DOWNGRADED accounts display a very short point expiration date, but do not actually expire.

I do not recall any reports of CLOSED accounts where the points do not expire. Of course this might happen, but if there is no way to know in advance, and no recourse if the points do expire, what practical benefit is there to knowing that the terms are not followed in every instance?
Well, depends on how much you trust the Thankyou dashboard where it shows points expiring. I was told my points would expire 60 days from July, but currently it shows "premier card" points as not expiring. If you want to remind me in July I can check again to see if it shows.
Are you saying people's accounts online where it shows "expiring" weren't accurate, and all of a sudden even though it showed not expiring the points were gone?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat
thanks all for the reply. I merged by TY accounts (combining my checking, Prestige and Premier). any way to know how many points is left with the cancelled Premier card other than calling in?

also, how do I ensure redemptions come from my Premier card? I’m not able to break this down when doing an online redemption.

I’ve gone through the TY website in quite some detail but have not been able to find a breakdown.

Thanks again, all for the help!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I've just downgraded my Prestige to Reward+. As others indicate, the Thank You Point site tells me that the points associated with the Prestige are expiring (in 6 days no less, 7 days after the conversion).

Citi has promised that this will not going to happen and it is a "glitch" in the system, and open a case just to make sure.

I'm pretty sure it would be fine in the end, but still surprised about the approach Citi is taking with not resolving the problem.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I've just downgraded my Prestige to Reward+. As others indicate, the Thank You Point site tells me that the points associated with the Prestige are expiring (in 6 days no less, 7 days after the conversion).

Citi has promised that this will not going to happen and it is a "glitch" in the system, and open a case just to make sure.

I'm pretty sure it would be fine in the end, but still surprised about the approach Citi is taking with not resolving the problem.

Wow. That problems has been around for like almost 1.5 years. That when I downgraded.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:17 am

Just closed a Premier account with 90k points. While trying to transfer points to an airline, only 85k points were allowed to be transferred--leaving me with 5k points.

Anyone know why the full 90k can't be transferred? I've never received a promotion or retention offer
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer

Update: The date of the proclaimed expiration had passed, and incidentally it was the date when the new card arrived and was activated. No points had expired and the note about expiration vanished.
liger likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by neony77
Got it, thanks! The order of events needs to be Apply/get bonus for Premier and then downgrade Prestige to Rewards+ correct? If I downgrade first then I won't be eligible for the sign up bonus due to resetting the 24-month clock?
A data point on this. I was approved for the Citi Premier a little over a month prior to downgrading my Prestige to a Rewards+. With the downgrade I was given a new card number for the Rewards+. I just hit my spending threshold on the Premier and the 60k points deposited almost immediately. So it appears that you do not have to wait until the bonus before downgrading to Rewards+ and whether you get to keep the Prestige card number with the downgrade also seems irrelevant since I was given a new card number. I successfully pooled my TY Points between the Premier and Rewards+ last week and I do not see any expiration date on the points.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
nevermind, found my answer!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Question here after reading the whole thread.

I opened a Premier card recently and want to combine the TY account with my existing Prestige account. Obviously a big reason to do this is to get a .0125 redemption through the TY portal vs .01 for Prestige until the .0125 goes away next year. Combing to do this should be doable right? I just got off the phone with Citi and they said the higher level account would be the parent and survive so not only could I not do this - I would lose the .0125 of what is in the Premier account too so I left alone for now.

I am on the fence about reupping the Prestige as is when my AF is due in a few weeks. Is my best course of action here then to downgrade the Prestige to Rewards+ then combine with Premier where Premier will be the "higher level" card so all could be redeemed at $.0125? Crazy the hoops needed to jump through here - any help is appreciated

Last edited by uscjeff; Jul 8, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I am on the fence about reupping the Prestige as is when my AF is due in a few weeks
If you close Prestige the points will expire in 60 days, even if you have combined the ThankYou account with another card. The only way to preserve the points is to renew Prestige or downgrade to Rewards+.

Approximately, how many Prestige points do you have? Any idea when you will redeem?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
If you close Prestige the points will expire in 60 days, even if you have combined the ThankYou account with another card. The only way to preserve the points is to renew Prestige or downgrade to Rewards+.

Approximately, how many Prestige points do you have? Any idea when you will redeem?
For sure - my plan would be to downgrade to the Rewards+ - not close. I have about 150k points I can easily redeem over next 9 months - hence wanting to transfer to Premier to get even more value at .0125 booked through Thank You.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:47 pm

For those of you cancelling Prestige and downgrading to Rewards+, what do you plan on using your point for on the new card? Youre stuck with the 1 cent value redemption right?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
For those of you cancelling Prestige and downgrading to Rewards+, what do you plan on using your point for on the new card? Youre stuck with the 1 cent value redemption right?
The point of the downgrade is not necessarily to redeem, but just to hold onto the points, until they get another AF card (Premier or Prestige) at some later time. Rewards+ will keep your TYP points intact as long as you have it, so you don't have to redeem with it if you're planning on getting another AF card at some point in the future.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.