Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by acinchus
@roki, thanks for the tip on getting Best Buy cards. I had seen the offer but not considered converting to Amazon. Thats a definite plus. BTW whats highest denomination Kindle GCs you have seen at BestBuy?

As far as combining points, isnt there a 90 day limit to use the transferred points after which they expire? Is there a way around it or exceptions made by convincing Citi agents?
My best buy carries Kindle GCs in $25, $50, and $100 denominations. They may frown upon trying to buy 12 $100 GCs using 24 $50 BB gift cards in a single transaction, but they should still do it. Or you could spread it out.

My experience is, if it's going to severely inconvenience the checker or make him bring the manager over, it becomes more difficult than it's worth.

On combining points, the 90 days is when you transfer the points, but with a husband/wife TY account, they actually MERGE the two (this cannot be undone, FYI), and your and her sponser accounts all feed into the same TY account. The expiration dates remain the same.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by roki
My best buy carries Kindle GCs in $25, $50, and $100 denominations. They may frown upon trying to buy 12 $100 GCs using 24 $50 BB gift cards in a single transaction, but they should still do it. Or you could spread it out.

My experience is, if it's going to severely inconvenience the checker or make him bring the manager over, it becomes more difficult than it's worth.

On combining points, the 90 days is when you transfer the points, but with a husband/wife TY account, they actually MERGE the two (this cannot be undone, FYI), and your and her sponser accounts all feed into the same TY account. The expiration dates remain the same.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Merging of accounts beween husband and wife is painless. Call TY, complete a form they send you and return to Citi. TY points (other than relationship points) do not expire.
Beware, though, that your wife's unused points will expire if she cancels her card. This results even though the accounts have been merged.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by kayjay
Merging of accounts beween husband and wife is painless. Call TY, complete a form they send you and return to Citi. TY points (other than relationship points) do not expire.
Beware, though, that your wife's unused points will expire if she cancels her card. This results even though the accounts have been merged.
I called Citi TYP customer service couple of times to get the answers and was given the same information on both calls.

Merging with spouse account
- only possible if both have joint Citi bank account earning TYP (which we do not have)
(folks who have been successful in getting TYP accounts merged, please confirm if you had a joint Citi bank account)

Transfering to spouse/other acct
- 90 days to use the transferred points

Combining accounts for person having two cards and canceling one card
- canceled account's points will expire in 30 days

Air Tickets booked using TYP
- are revenue tickets
- if cancelled
and if airline refunds cash value then TYP points credited back or check sent (if account closed)
other possibility is that airline credits/vouchers ticket for future use, then use tkt within time indicated (varies by airline policies)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by daveland
If it were me, I'd use them on a refundable AA ticket, make a change to get my real ticket, asking for the balance as a voucher.
@ daveland, how can you tell that you're buying a refundable ticket when booking via TYP?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
@ daveland, how can you tell that you're buying a refundable ticket when booking via TYP?
I answered my own question by reading the terms and conditions:

"Airline tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-CHANGEABLE unless permitted by the terms of the fare and are subject to airline rules, penalties and fare difference. A $35.00 per ticket service fee for domestic flights and $50.00 per ticket service fee for international flights will be collected by CLTS for all exchanges, modifications, or cancellations, in addition to airline penalties and fare difference. CLTS fee(s) will appear on your card statement as Trip Charges."

All TYP tickets are non-refundable, so you can't get around closing the account and the points expiring by buying a non-refundable ticket.

I'm in a similar position to the OP, and I'm trying to figure out what to with 50,000 before my annual fee hits in February. I was originally planning to use the points for two short weekend trips out of NYC in 2013. But I actually might be moving in 2013. I'm not sure where I'll be, so booking flights months ahead of time originating in NYC might not be the best idea.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Losing out on the 1.33x multiplier on 108K TY points is an opportunity cost of $356.40. Definitely offsets the $50 difference on the annual fee.

how do you get the multiplier? I went to TY site and priced a sample ticket that I know costs $706, the cost in points came out to 70600
So where is the multipler?

thank you!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by dsauch
how do you get the multiplier? I went to TY site and priced a sample ticket that I know costs $706, the cost in points came out to 70600
So where is the multipler?

thank you!
You need a Citi TY Premier credit card as a sponsor account
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
You need a Citi TY Premier credit card as a sponsor account
now it makes sense! ;-)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by acinchus

Air Tickets booked using TYP
- are revenue tickets
- if cancelled
and if airline refunds cash value then TYP points credited back or check sent (if account closed)
other possibility is that airline credits/vouchers ticket for future use, then use tkt within time indicated (varies by airline policies)
With Delta this was my experience:

booked DL ticket with TYP via TYP website.

plans changed

saw my reservation on DL.com which looked like any other

called DL to cancel, DL charged $50 "agency fee" because this was booked by TYP, but waived the change fee as a courtesy goodwill, and I got an Ecredit on DL.com for future use.

I don't know what would have happened had I asked TYP to change the ticket, but I prefer dealing directly with the airline anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska Sig Visa, Citi TY Premier, Citi Prestige, Amex Biz Plat, Amex SPG Biz
I have the following TYP situation:

Some time ago they switched me from the Citi Premier Pass to the Thank you card.

Current Balance 333,450
Card: Citi ThankYouSM Premier Card
Expiring 9/30/2012: 64,337 - 64,377 Citi PremierPass(SM) Card - Elite Level

Previously Combined Accounts:
Citi PremPass-EliteM
ThankYou Premier

However, I don't see anywhere where they deducted those expired miles in the activity/history of transactions. They show in expiring section only but with the date past.

I show the full balance 333k when I pretend to buy something in there online "mall". When I pretend to transfer they deduct the "expiring" 64k miles.

My question is if those 64k miles are really gone or will disappear somehow. I never got an email saying they were expiring.

Any help in understanding will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by dyna; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by dyna
I have the following TYP situation:

Some time ago they switched me from the Citi Premier Pass to the Thank you card.

Balance 333,450
Card: Citi ThankYouSM Premier Card
Expiring 9/30/2012: 64,337 - 64,377 Citi PremierPass(SM) Card - Elite Level

Previously Combined Accounts:
Citi PremPass-EliteM
ThankYou Premier

However, I don't see anywhere where they deducted those expired miles in the activity/history of transactions. They show in expiring section only but with the date past.

I show the full balance 333k when I pretend to buy something in there online "mall". When I pretend to transfer they deduct the "expiring" 64k miles.

My question is if those 64k miles are really gone or will disappear somehow. I never got an email saying they were expiring.

Any help in understanding will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Call them. You'll find it was a systemic issue arising from the transition of the PremierPass Elite product to the ThankYou Premiere product. Citi identified it and corrected it already by reinstating any expired points. Your points should now expire under the terms of the Premiere product which is not at all. They may be unaware of the misreport at the shopping portal.

I lucked out. Not trusting Citi I used my points expiring in September. They reinstated those as well. Got a free iPhone 5.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Sig Visa, Citi TY Premier, Citi Prestige, Amex Biz Plat, Amex SPG Biz
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Call them. You'll find it was a systemic issue arising from the transition of the PremierPass Elite product to the ThankYou Premiere product. Citi identified it and corrected it already by reinstating any expired points. Your points should now expire under the terms of the Premiere product which is not at all. They may be unaware of the misreport at the shopping portal.

I lucked out. Not trusting Citi I used my points expiring in September. They reinstated those as well. Got a free iPhone 5.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like I'm okay.

Can you see a similar discrepancy between your current total and transferable miles like I do? Basically, the expired yet still counting miles don't apply to my transferable miles.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
You can provide your own analysis.

1. log into your ThankYou account

2. click on My Account > Point Summary

3. click on the Expiring link to the right of your total available points

4. click on the Show All link to the right of the 'Points Expiring' section

At this point you can now see each date of expiry in the series of your ThankYou points however you cannot see if the sponsor or if multiple sponsors share the same expiry date, so...

5. expand all the little orange + signs to see the sponsor(s) on that expiry date

Now at this point Citi should have sorted them for you but they didn't so you're going to have to sort them yourself. I got weirdness copying them into eXcel (mac) but found that they copied quite nicely into Word (mac) as a table and could then be sorted. The A>Z sort put the NA expiries on top but other than that they were now sorted in the order in which they will expire. This is also the FIFO (first in, first out) order that Citi will use them.

See the next post for a special consideration when closing a sponsor in a ThankYou account with combined sponsor accounts.
With the new website one has to click on the icon to the left of the "Welcome to ThankYou®" sign in the top left corner.

Does anyone know why my points are not expiring? My mom transferred some points to me on 8/30/12 and when I look at the points expiration I see that they were to have expired on 11/30/12, however they are still in my account. I have Preferred and Premier sponsor cards.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does anyone know why my points are not expiring? My mom transferred some points to me on 8/30/12 and when I look at the points expiration I see that they were to have expired on 11/30/12, however they are still in my account. I have Preferred and Premier sponsor cards.

bump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.