Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 7:55 pm

Existing travel reservations and cancelling premier card

If I've booked travel with TY points and then cancel my card prior to using the travel reservations, do I run the risk of losing the reservation? Or will that better considered a separate transaction that had already been booked and paid for? I know trying to get a refund on that booked travel reservation with a cancelled card may be futile but just curious if anyone has insight into this.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by eiloo
If I've booked travel with TY points and then cancel my card prior to using the travel reservations, do I run the risk of losing the reservation? Or will that better considered a separate transaction that had already been booked and paid for? I know trying to get a refund on that booked travel reservation with a cancelled card may be futile but just curious if anyone has insight into this.

Thanks.
Has anyone done this before?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question about CitiBusiness AAdvantage card has been moved, because it earns AA miles rather than ThankYou points:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...ne-offers.html
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:14 pm

I have Citi Prestige and Citi Premier, but do not use the Premier much anymore. I would only keep the Premier for credit history. If I downgrade to no-fee card to maintain history, would I be able to apply again for Premier in 24 months to get a new welcome bonus?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by 247traveler
.... would I be able to apply again for Premier in 24 months to get a new welcome bonus?
Depends on the terms at the time you apply again. Here are the current offer terms:

Bonus ThankYou® Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Downgrading from Premier to Rewards+ should not reset the clock because it isn't a "close".
halluc1nati0n likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Well shoot, I need to book flights for late August/early Sept next year and looks like I will just miss the out with the devaluation of TYP.

eta: I also have Premier, so I guess I keep my 1.25x (for now)

Last edited by voodoogirl; Jun 21, 2019 at 4:46 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:42 pm

Citi preferred

guys - i don't plan to travel over the next 12 months and the annual fee is up. What's the best way to use up the points and close the card? Can I use the points to buy airbnb gift cards or something or is it possible to just get a check so I can invest that money

thx
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:39 pm
mia

Preferred was a free card. Which card do you actually have, Premier, Prestige? How many points?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Preferred was a free card. Which card do you actually have, Premier, Prestige? How many points?
Premier card with 58k points
Would downgrading to double cash still give me 1:1 travel booking ability
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:48 pm
mia

This is subject of this entire thread, you will find useful ideas if you scroll back and read.

Premier allows you to transfer to airline partners. Any interest in that?

Most reported downgrades have been to Preferred or Rewards+.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:53 pm

They only offered double cash, not preferred. Can double cash transfer to travel partners or book at 1 cents per point redemption
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:14 pm
mia

Double Cash earns cents, not points. There is a report that there will be an option to convert Double Cash monet to points, but because this has not yet happened we do not know the details.

Citi Double Cash to allow conversion to ThankYou Points (Fall 2019)

I would not expect a free card to offer the ability to transfer to airlines. At present only Premier and Prestige can transfer.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:29 pm

I could not find an answer to this specific question.

I have a citi thank you premier card. Used points to book hotel reservations (which are refundable if cancelled within some # of days prior to arrival).
If I cancel card before my trip and end up for some reason NEED to cancel the reservation (unlikely but you never know) then what happens?
Do points go back to my cancelled account? Would I then be able to use them again?
Any information appreciated.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:19 pm

Citi Premier downgrade points questions

Hi all, currently I have 50k TY points in my old Premier card. I got approved for another Premier card with 60k welcome bonus points. I plan on downgrading my old Premier to rewards+ for the 10% rebate benefit. To go with that plan, do I need to transfer/combine my old Premier 50k TY points to my new Premier first? I am afraid I do the downgrade, and lose all my 50k TY points. Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I just downgraded my ThankYou Premier card to ThankYou Preferred. My points from the card are now set to expire in 7 days!!! Is that normal?

I have done this downgrade in the past and my points never expired. Is this expiration new?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.