Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Old May 14, 2018, 5:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iowa guy
... transfer my points to TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES, would I book a United flight through the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES site?
Yes.

Is there a way I could combine/move the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES miles to my United Mileage Plus account?
No, but if both programs allow one-way redemptions you could book one direction using TK or SQ miles and another using UA miles.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I forgot all about retention offers. Thanks for the reminder. Are my chances for a retention offer reduced because I haven't used the card in 9 months?
Only a Citi rep will be able to pull up your account to tell you. You can check the retention thread for other data points.

So if I was to transfer my points to TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES, would I book a United flight through the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES site?
No, you will have to call M&S to make an award ticket reservation, then email or visit their sales office in person to get the award ticket issued.

Is there a way I could combine/move the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES miles to my United Mileage Plus account?
Generally speaking, frequent flyer miles in one program are not transferrable to another frequent flyer miles program.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:47 am

So if I was to transfer my points to TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES, would I book a United flight through the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES site?

Originally Posted by mia
Yes.

Originally Posted by happychic

No, you will have to call M&S to make an award ticket reservation, then email or visit their sales office in person to get the award ticket issued.

Anyone one else want to reply and offer their opinion?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[quotes of two conflicting answers]
Avianca is also a United partner (it's also in Star Alliance), and a TYP transfer partner. I haven't tried, but the lookup and booking process might be easier on Avianca than described above on Turkish.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Sorry for the confusion. I know nothing about TK's frequent flyer program or booking process, but if you want to book a UA flight using TK miles the booking must be made through TK, using whatever procedure they specify - which would be better researched here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles-641/
Old May 21, 2018, 11:21 am

I think the best option for me is probably going to be to cancel the City TY Premier card and use the points within 60 days. Does anyone happen to know if I get to use the points at the Premier rate or will they be valued at a lesser rate?

Thanks
Old May 21, 2018, 8:07 pm

So if I PC a ThankYou Preferred (previous Forward) to a ATT Access More, will it reset the 24 month clock..? And will the PC cause my points expire ? I have around 50k points expires at this Dec.

Last edited by j262byuu; May 22, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old May 26, 2018, 9:07 am

If I cancel my Citi Thank You Premier today will I be able to get a refund for the annual fee that is due to be paid on June9th?
Old May 26, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
30 days of the mailing or delivery date of the statement on which the fee is billed.

If I cancel my Citi Thank You Premier today will I be able to get a refund for the annual fee that is due to be paid on June9th?
The annual fee is refundable within 30 days of the mailing or delivery date of the statement on which the fee is billed.
So rather than looking at the date due, I would look at the statement closing date and add 30 days from there and you have until that time to call and cancel the card to get a refund.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j262byuu
So if I PC a ThankYou Preferred (previous Forward) to a ATT Access More, will it reset the 24 month clock..?
Impossible to know for sure ahead of time. Assume that it will. The rule seems to be that if your credit card account number changes in a PC, that resets your 24 month clock, if it doesn't change the account number, then it doesn't reset it. The problem is that no one can tell you (truthfully) for sure whether you account number will change or not in a PC until the PC is completed, by which time it's too late.

As to your points expiration question, I think you'll have to ask Citi. It's a very rare combination of cards to PC AFAIK, so I doubt there are datapoints on it.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:28 am

Citi

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As to your points expiration question, I think you'll have to ask Citi. It's a very rare combination of cards to PC AFAIK, so I doubt there are datapoints on it.
I doubt that any frontline Citi agent will be able to give you that answer or know the right answer without making something up.
If you are going to do it though would love to know how that turns out.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:31 am

So does anyone know - when you cancel your Prestige card - and the points then have a 60 day expiration - can you still redeem them TYP in those 60 days at the same 25% bonus on airfare - or do you lose that benefit and it just goes to 100 TYP for $1?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
I recently downgraded my Premier card to a Preferred since I didn't need the benefits of that card anymore. I also have a Prestige card.

Any ideas on which points are used first in a redemption, when both don't have expiration dates? I don't envision getting rid of the Prestige anytime soon since it's my primary travel card, but would prefer to use up the points associated with the Preferred card first on my next redemption.

Thanks in advance!
Hi;

I'm about to do the same (downgrade Premier, have and will keep Prestige). I didn't see an answer on this question, so I'm asking it once again.

Thanks from me in advance as well!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Hi;

I'm about to do the same (downgrade Premier, have and will keep Prestige). I didn't see an answer on this question, so I'm asking it once again.

Thanks from me in advance as well!
Don't you have to specify which card's points to use? So until/unless you transfer points from multiple cards into one, there is not necessarily newer or older expiration, even with expiring points.

So if you want to transfer from the card that has transferrability first, just transfer.

The only thing I don't know is if you would want to trransfer the pionts from the downgraded-to-Preferred card first, then how would you do that.

But what it does matter which points you use first, if neither expire, when the card you downgraded has no annual fee and thus you can keep it "forever" which just one small purchase a year or so?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, UA 1K
Question Combined Premier and Prestige TY Accounts - Cancel or downgrade prestige account?

I have both the Citi Prestige and Premier Accounts. I don't want to keep the Prestige card because of the annual fee.

I read that I could downgrade the Prestige card to the no annual fee Preferred Card. And then transfer the points back to my premium Premier card. But it seems like I am unable to do it because I have pooled or combined my points together. Which will just devalue my prestige points to regular preferred points. Is this true or can I downgrade and then transfer back to my Premier card maintaining the ability to transfer to hotel or airline partners?

Does anyone have similar experience of having both cards and combined the accounts together? I know that the safest method is to transfer all my points out to an airline partner. But I was hoping to keep it as thank you points for its flexibility. Thank you for any input or suggestions you may have!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.