Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by eethan
(at least that I'm aware of, all Citi forwards were visas and we got new mastercard numbers.)

sdsearch, I understand there's risk that downgrading Prestige->Preferred resets the 24-month clock. But my philosophy in life is that if there's 80% chance of success go for it. Seems like there's a good chance we won't reset clocks by making TYP card -> TYP card conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I recently converted prestige to Preferred and my account number, expiration date and CVV didn't change. I'm more worried about Forward to Preferred conversion, but you can argue this with Citi, because it was involuntary.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(at least that I'm aware of, all Citi forwards were visas and we got new mastercard numbers.)

sdsearch, I understand there's risk that downgrading Prestige->Preferred resets the 24-month clock. But my philosophy in life is that if there's 80% chance of success go for it. Seems like there's a good chance we won't reset clocks by making TYP card -> TYP card conversion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Double-check this list of datapoints:

but my scouring of it seems to suggests you're correct, as long as you mean "true" TYP (ie, Prestige/Premier/Preferred only). TYP-earning cards that have other names (such as the AT&T family) do tend to involve new account numbers (when converting into or out of the AT&T group).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Is there anything preventing you from downgrading Prestige -> Preferred? - For example, if you already have a Preferred card, that would mean ending up with 2 preferred cards.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Is there anything preventing you from downgrading Prestige -> Preferred? - For example, if you already have a Preferred card, that would mean ending up with 2 preferred cards.
Nothing should prevent you. I have 4 Preferred cards.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:17 pm

I have 60k points received for opening a Citi gold account. Although the points are in my Premier credit card account, they're not transferable to airlines due to them being earned from a 'banking promotion'.

Is there a way to make the points transferable to airlines?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you cancel it, all points on it will go "poof" 60 days later. Are you OK with that? If not, you can downgrade to the no-AF Preferred, that'll keep the points alive, and then once you have another card that can transfer, you'll be ablt to transfer them. BUT:
If the points are kept after a change to a no-AF preferred, can we change it back to a Premier later and use the points to transfer to airlines?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arandomflyer
If the points are kept after a change to a no-AF preferred, can we change it back to a Premier later and use the points to transfer to airlines?
I don't know if you can change it back, but if you can't, you can always apply for another Premier and then use it to do the transfer (moving the points from the Preferred to the Premier once you're sure you're going to transfer).
Old May 2, 2018, 10:10 pm

Downgrading and 24-month clock

Apologies if this is covered somewhere - I checked the stickies and didn't see this information.

I know you can't have opened or closed a card in the 'Thank You Points Family' for 24 months if you want to apply and get another bonus. What I am unsure of is how downgrading plays in. I downgraded my Premier card to a no fee Preferred card a while back - would this have reset my 24 month clock?
Old May 3, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrDannyOcean
Apologies if this is covered somewhere - I checked the stickies and didn't see this information.

I know you can't have opened or closed a card in the 'Thank You Points Family' for 24 months if you want to apply and get another bonus. What I am unsure of is how downgrading plays in. I downgraded my Premier card to a no fee Preferred card a while back - would this have reset my 24 month clock?
The general rule is that if you keep the same account number when you downgrade, it doesn't reset the clock, but if the account number changes when you downgrade, it does reset the clock.

So since you already did the downgrade, you should know: Does your Preferred card have the same account number as your Premier card did?
Old May 9, 2018, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Does the same apply when upgrading? If the same account number holds, does that product change reset your clock?

Went from AA Plat to AA Exec in January. Would love to pick up another bonus if the upgrade product change with same account number doesn't reset your clock?
Old May 9, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtav559
Does the same apply when upgrading? If the same account number holds, does that product change reset your clock?

Went from AA Plat to AA Exec in January. Would love to pick up another bonus if the upgrade product change with same account number doesn't reset your clock?
See these blog pages from DoC and TPG:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

That's where this information comes from, so it's better to read the sources.
jtav559 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Many thanks @sdsearch ! Bodes well for my AA account balance
Old May 12, 2018, 10:47 am

Question Using Thank You points

I am ready to cancel my Citi Thank You Premier card--mainly because of the annual fee.

I messed up and missed the 'sale' on gift cards.

Any suggestions for what to do to get decent value out of 60k points? I looked at their travel partners to which I could transfer my points but I don't use any of those airlines. I fly out of DSM (Des Moines).

Would you have any suggestions for me to be able to get more than 1 cent per point?

Thanks.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
If the annual fee is your main concern, call Citi up and ask for a retention offer. Look in the Citi retention thread: they generally give good retention offers for Citi Premier. For example, my Premier annual fee was just refunded and I also received a spending bonus for the next 16 months.

To get more than 1 cent per point, you can use your points to book for airfare on Citi Travel Center (thankyou.com). It can be worth up to 1.25 cent per point.

Another thing you can try is to understand the concept of airline alliances. For example, you may not fly on Air France flights, but it doesn't mean Air France Flying Blue miles is of no use to you. You can use Flying Blue miles to book for award travel on Delta flights, as they are both in SkyTeam. American Airline has a similar arrangement with Qantas (OneWorld), and United with Singapore Airline (Star Alliance). You may have to do some legwork to find out what the award charts look like, and may have to get familiar with their websites or to call them to book an award. Note that Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Qantas, Singapore Airline loyalty programs are just some of the transfer partners Citi Thank you points can transfer to. It's up to you how much you want to make your Thank You points work for you.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by happychic
If the annual fee is your main concern, call Citi up and ask for a retention offer. Look in the Citi retention thread: they generally give good retention offers for Citi Premier. For example, my Premier annual fee was just refunded and I also received a spending bonus for the next 16 months.
I forgot all about retention offers. Thanks for the reminder. Are my chances for a retention offer reduced because I haven't used the card in 9 months?

Originally Posted by happychic
Another thing you can try is to understand the concept of airline alliances. For example, you may not fly on Air France flights, but it doesn't mean Air France Flying Blue miles is of no use to you. You can use Flying Blue miles to book for award travel on Delta flights, as they are both in SkyTeam. American Airline has a similar arrangement with Qantas (OneWorld), and United with Singapore Airline (Star Alliance). You may have to do some legwork to find out what the award charts look like, and may have to get familiar with their websites or to call them to book an award. Note that Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Qantas, Singapore Airline loyalty programs are just some of the transfer partners Citi Thank you points can transfer to. It's up to you how much you want to make your Thank You points work for you.

So if I was to transfer my points to TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES, would I book a United flight through the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES site? Is there a way I could combine/move the TURKISH AIRLINES MILES & SMILES miles to my United Mileage Plus account?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.