Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Keeping ThankYou Points from expiring after closing Premiere Card

I currently have a ThankYou Premiere Card and I no long wish to pay the annual fee but I have leftover ThankYou points and would like to keep them. I was told if I cancel the card I will have 60 days to redeem them before they expire. Even if i was to combine them with the Checking ThankYou points they will expire.

I was only given the option to downgrade to the Citi Preferred card in order to keep the points from expiring.

I was wondering instead of downgrading can I apply for a new Preferred card get the sign up bonus and also transfer the Premiere points over to the Preferred card without the points expiring in 60 days? This way I can earn a bonus and keep the points from expiring.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I was only given the option to downgrade to the Citi Preferred card in order to keep the points from expiring.
I was wondering instead of downgrading can I apply for a new Preferred card get the sign up bonus and also transfer the Premiere points over to the Preferred card without the points expiring in 60 days? This way I can earn a bonus and keep the points from expiring.
No, the points from the closed Premier will still expire in 60 days even if transferred to or combined with any other TY sponsor account, including any new Preferred account. Those points can only be kept from expiring by (1) continuing to hold the same Premier card and paying the annual fee, perhaps asking for a retention offer to help offset the fee, or (2) downgrading the Premier to a Preferred card, as downgrading seems to maintain the underlying TY sponsor account and therefore the points don't expire until closure of the downgraded Preferred card. Of course, this downgrade probably means no ability to sign up and get a bonus for either a Premier or a Preferred for 24 months under Citi's current application policies, since the Premier was just closed and the Preferred was just opened.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jigri2003
No, the points from the closed Premier will still expire in 60 days even if transferred to or combined with any other TY sponsor account, including any new Preferred account. Those points can only be kept from expiring by (1) continuing to hold the same Premier card and paying the annual fee, perhaps asking for a retention offer to help offset the fee, or (2) downgrading the Premier to a Preferred card, as downgrading seems to maintain the underlying TY sponsor account and therefore the points don't expire until closure of the downgraded Preferred card. Of course, this downgrade probably means no ability to sign up and get a bonus for either a Premier or a Preferred for 24 months under Citi's current application policies, since the Premier was just closed and the Preferred was just opened.
Thanks. I guess there's only the downgrade option really. Kinda what I figured but hoping I was wrong.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:26 pm

My TY premier card AF is due soon and thinking to close it but a couple of question before I close it, 1. If downgrade to no fee card I can retain points but can I transfer to airline program later? 2. Which airline transfer would be best for travelling to southeast asia from midwest?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
My TY premier card AF is due soon and thinking to close it but a couple of question before I close it, 1. If downgrade to no fee card I can retain points but can I transfer to airline program later?
It depends on which other TYP cards you hold. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1596227
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
ThankYou account still shows cancelled Premier card

In anticipation of my annual fee coming on the Premier card, I combined all my TY points from that Premier account and Gold checking account into my sponsor Prestige account.

One week later, cancelled the Premier card and the Gold checking account.

Seven weeks later, my ThankYou account still shows that Premier card active and no expiration date on those points. BUT... the 900 points from the checking account show a 12/31/2019 expiration date.

Has anyone experienced this? Does it take some time for the ThankYou account to realize a Citi card has been cancelled? Did I just jinx myself?!?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobears293
In anticipation of my annual fee coming on the Premier card, I combined all my TY points from that Premier account and Gold checking account into my sponsor Prestige account.

One week later, cancelled the Premier card and the Gold checking account.

Seven weeks later, my ThankYou account still shows that Premier card active and no expiration date on those points. BUT... the 900 points from the checking account show a 12/31/2019 expiration date.

Has anyone experienced this? Does it take some time for the ThankYou account to realize a Citi card has been cancelled? Did I just jinx myself?!?
Read a posts above, and you'll realize it's 60 days before points from a cancelled card disappear, and that the expiration date never shows up for points from a cancelled card, they just go "poof" after 60 days.

There are 7 days in a week. Divide 60/7 and you'll realize that 60 days is 8.57 weeks.

So your points from the Premier are still active but only for about a week more!

So you better use them quick before they go "poof" in about a week.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Read a posts above, and you'll realize it's 60 days before points from a cancelled card disappear, and that the expiration date never shows up for points from a cancelled card, they just go "poof" after 60 days.
Correct. As stated at the end of the wiki, "Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account."
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Holy cow, seriously? So your ThankYou account never actually accurately shows when the points expire? Reading through this thread, I did learn about this expiration policy, but looking at the details of my ThankYou account, I sure as heck assumed the Premier card would at least show up as being cancelled.

My confusion comes from the fact that ThankYou.com still shows the Premier card as being active. Am I completely unclear on the details here? I took a few screen shots for clarity/confirmation:
Attached Images   
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobears293
Holy cow, seriously? So your ThankYou account never actually accurately shows when the points expire? Reading through this thread, I did learn about this expiration policy, but looking at the details of my ThankYou account, I sure as heck assumed the Premier card would at least show up as being cancelled.

My confusion comes from the fact that ThankYou.com still shows the Premier card as being active. Am I completely unclear on the details here? I took a few screen shots for clarity/confirmation:
You're showing a Thank You points page. I don't know if that page shows which cards are cancelled.

Which cards are cancelled shows on the main My Accounts page right after you log into your Citi account. Somewhere in the summary for the canceled card it'll say something like "this card has been cancelled".

So are you looking in the right place to see whether it shows as cancelled?

Meanwhile, "never" is not correct. You ThankYou account page sometimes shows expiration accurately, but not in the case of a cancelled sponsor credit card account.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I am wondering what terms points can be redeemed at if you have no open accounts? I.e. you cancel Prestige, your points are active for another 60 days, but under what redemption rules?

(I realize that it would be best to not let it come to that, but due to some life uncertainty, I am just exploring what my options are if I can't use my points before I need to close the card.)
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I am wondering what terms points can be redeemed at if you have no open accounts? I.e. you cancel Prestige, your points are active for another 60 days, but under what redemption rules?

(I realize that it would be best to not let it come to that, but due to some life uncertainty, I am just exploring what my options are if I can't use my points before I need to close the card.)
Probably 1/2 cent cash payout.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Probably 1/2 cent cash payout.
Mortgage checks at 1cpp are a better option.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by beltway
Mortgage checks at 1cpp are a better option.
Correct but I wasn't sure they would do it after he cancelled the card. During the 60 days before they expire.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:08 am

I am sure this question has been asked before and I so I apologize in advance. My Citi Premier card is also about to expire soon and I want to cancel the card and transfer out the 70k TYP I have earned before doing so. I have the Preferred card as well but if I understand the rules, if I only have a Preferred card I can not then transfer those points to an airline partner.
I am wondering if someone can recommende the best airline partner to transfer to. I mostly travel europe - asia rt and east coast - west coast rt. (I also have several hundred thou UR and MR points.) TPG recommended bunkering the points in singapore krisflyer, but I am unsure. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.