Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP
cancelled TY Preferred - what to do with points?

So i think citi may have canceled my (unused) Thank You Preferred card.
I don't have a Citi checking account, or a Citi branch anywhere near me.

I tried generating a reward acct number to pay a utility bill, which didn't work. According to the wiki I can not transfer points to an airline, or pay down another Citi card. Every option i try online just loops back to the citi home page/acct summary.
Gift cards my only option?
Transfer to a new card?

And my points don't disappear for 30 days, correct?
Are they cancelling other people too? (Never had anyone cancel an acct before)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Jlove
So i think citi may have canceled my (unused) Thank You Preferred card.
I don't have a Citi checking account, or a Citi branch anywhere near me.

I tried generating a reward acct number to pay a utility bill, which didn't work. According to the wiki I can not transfer points to an airline, or pay down another Citi card. Every option i try online just loops back to the citi home page/acct summary.
Gift cards my only option?
Transfer to a new card?

And my points don't disappear for 30 days, correct?
Are they cancelling other people too? (Never had anyone cancel an acct before)
Even if you could transfer to another card you would only have 90 days to use them. GC's are your best option unless you have a Prestige or Premier card so that you could transfer them to an airline. I am guessing that you had not used the card for quite some time and banks are known to sometimes closed unused accts. I use every cc at least once every 3-4 months, which is a pain with ~40 cards between wife and I but better than the alternative.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:05 pm

Confused about TYP Expiration, Combining Accounts and Closing Cards

I just got off the phone with the Citi TYP rep, but some stuff doesn't seem right.

Right now, I have the Citi Forward, Premier and Prestige. Foward TYP expires after 5 years, Premier and Prestige does not. Right now, each card has its own separate pool of TYP.

If I combine all the TYP into a single account, the Citi rep tells me that even though they are in the same account, the TYP are not the same. So TYP earned from the Forward will still expire after 5 years. Also, they tell me if I close the Prestige, then the points earned from Prestige will expire after 60 days.

This seems inconsistent with the blogs that say you can combine all TYP into the Prestige account and get the benefits of TYP not expiring and the 1.6/1.33 rates for AA/other airlines.

Could someone please enlighten me on how combining TYP work? Basically, what I want is to have a "perpetual" TYP account, as I churn through Citi TY credit cards, without any points expiring.

Do individual TYP keep the "characteristics" of the card from which they were earned? Does that mean that Forward TYP cannot be used to redeem for 1.6 at AA flights even if I combine my Forward TYP with my Prestige TYP?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will suggest you to HUACA.

However, in light of Citi's webste:

The expiration status of your ThankYou Points appears in your online ThankYou Points Summary at www.thankyou.com under My Account. ThankYou Points are subject to expiration as disclosed in your Citi Account materials or in ThankYou Rewards promotional materials, unless ThankYou Rewards is terminated. Please refer to your Citi ThankYou Rewards or Citi Account Terms and Conditions for additional information. ThankYou Rewards may be revised or terminated upon 30 days written notice.

Any revisions may affect your ability to use the ThankYou Points you have already accumulated. In the event the ThankYou Rewards Program is terminated by us, you will have 90 days from the termination date to redeem all of your accumulated points.
I am inclined to believe what you heard is true.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Merging ThankYou Rewards accounts will change the redemption value of the points to match the value of the highest linked card, but merging does not change the expiration dates. Citi continues to track the source of all the points in your ThankYou Rewards account and applies the expiration policy specified in the terms of each individual source account.

As recently as 2014 it was clear that if you cancelled a card or bank account the points earned by that specific account would expire in 60 days, even if they did not otherwise have an expiration date. Sometime in 2015 Citi changed the wording of the ThankYou Rewards terms, removed the 60 day policy, and replaced it with an instruction to read the printed terms which were mailed when each source account was opened.

The fact that one CSR recited the old 60 day expiration policy is not conclusive. Points may, or may not, expire 60 days after closing. We need to ask CSR's to show us exactly where that policy is still published. Meanwhile, the safest course is to keep all of your points in separate ThankYou accounts or to redeem all of your points before closing any account.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
its gets even more confusing when you've combined TYP accounts and want to redeem rewards. In the example above, if the forward points were combined with the prestige to get better redemption, how could you ensure that you use the forward points first??
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by odin99
its gets even more confusing when you've combined TYP accounts and want to redeem rewards. In the example above, if the forward points were combined with the prestige to get better redemption, how could you ensure that you use the forward points first??
when you redeem, points with earlier expiration dates are used first.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
when you redeem, points with earlier expiration dates are used first.
but what if you have a preferred account and prestige and combine them. what point will be used first? (assuming that you plan to cancel the preferred before 1yr AF hits and that they would expire 30d after you cancel)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:52 pm

but what if you have a preferred account and prestige and combine them. what point will be used first? (assuming that you plan to cancel the preferred before 1yr AF hits and that they would expire 30d after you cancel)
Read the wiki to be enlightened.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Read the wiki to be enlightened.
it is still unclear to me.

I have two Citi TY accounts. one for prestige one for premier. I will combine my premier with my prestige to get my 1.6 redemption for AA flights. Additionally, I plan on canceling my premier citi account (But have not yet done that!). Before canceling my account and after I've combined with TY Prestige, how can I make sure I'm using the premier generated points first so that when I do cancel it, I'll ensure I've used up my 50k signing bonus points? I won't cancel the prestige account, so don't want to use those pts right now.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:59 am
mia

...after I've combined with TY Prestige, how can I make sure I'm using the premier generated points first ...
Variants of this question are asked repeatedly, and there does not seem to be a definitive answer. We know that points are redeemed based on expiration date. If none of the points have an expiration date we do not know if Citi's system redeems based on the date the points were earned, or the age of the card account, or randomly. We need reports from people who have actually tried it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Variants of this question are asked repeatedly, and there does not seem to be a definitive answer. We know that points are redeemed based on expiration date. If none of the points have an expiration date we do not know if Citi's system redeems based on the date the points were earned, or the age of the card account, or randomly. We need reports from people who have actually tried it.
i guess i'll be testing this out in the next year. i want to use up my premier points through AA flights at 1.6 redemption and then close the premier account (or downgrade). i'll report back in a 10mo I guess.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:54 pm

I cancelled my prestige card 59 days ago, however forgot to combine the points with my premier points, so they disappeared. I was told by the messages with Citi CSR i had 60 days to transfer, but needed to be done over the phone

I am on the phone now, but the agent is insisting since they are expiring in less than 60 days i cannot transfer to airline, or to another member, rather i need to redeem them for gift card or statement credit.

does this make sense? i am very confused
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
As recently as 2014 it was clear that if you cancelled a card or bank account the points earned by that specific account would expire in 60 days, even if they did not otherwise have an expiration date. Sometime in 2015 Citi changed the wording of the ThankYou Rewards terms, removed the 60 day policy, and replaced it with an instruction to read the printed terms which were mailed when each source account was opened.

The fact that one CSR recited the old 60 day expiration policy is not conclusive. Points may, or may not, expire 60 days after closing. We need to ask CSR's to show us exactly where that policy is still published. Meanwhile, the safest course is to keep all of your points in separate ThankYou accounts or to redeem all of your points before closing any account.
Citi has refreshed thankyou.com, rewritten the program terms, the expiration policy has been clarified, and points DO still expire 60 days after closing the card or bank account which generated them:

LOSS OR SUSPENSION OF POINTS

This section tells you when you may not be able to use Points that you've already earned or received.

You Close Your Citi Account. If you have Points, and you voluntarily close your Citi Account, you must use your Points within 60 days after closing your accounts, or you'll lose them.

We Close Your Citi Account. If you have Points, and we close your Citi Account for any reason other than inactivity, you'll lose your Points immediately. If we close your account solely due to inactivity, you'll have 60 days from the closure date to use your Points, or you'll lose them.

TIP:

If you have multiple Citi Accounts associated with only one ThankYou Account at the time one of your Citi Accounts is closed, you'll lose only the Points that you earned with the closed Citi Account.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:35 pm

instead of closing an account, if I switch the account from premier to preferred (but still have a prestige), do you think I'd be ok? (i.e., my premier points wouldn't expire). this is assuming citi would let me change the card from premier to something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.