Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
A good step right? This cancellation policy is quite a deal breaker for me.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I wonder if Citi has quietly changed the ThankYou points cancellation policy as it pertains to card cancellation. I "know" that the points earned with a specific card expire 30 days after the card account is closed, but I can no longer find this in the terms of the ThankYou Rewards program on thankyou.com, nor in the terms of the cards offered on citicards.com.
For what it's worth, which may not be all that much, when I made my recent retention calls to Citi about my Premier card, multiple CSRs confirmed to me that I would have 30 days to use the points if I closed the card.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
multiple CSRs confirmed to me that I would have 30 days to use the points if I closed the card.
Not surprised. I won't consider the policy changed until the terms include an explicit statement that points earned with a card do not expire if (for example) I still hold another ThankYou card.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:53 am

I want to cancel the AU card on my Prestige account. Will that have any affect on points expiring?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
I want to cancel the AU card on my Prestige account. Will that have any affect on points expiring?
I have no direct experience, but points earned by an authorized user's card are commingled with points earned on the primary card. ThankYou does not know which card generated the points, so there should not be any expiration implication because the card account is still open.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Nope.

Originally Posted by mia
I have no direct experience, but points earned by an authorized user's card are commingled with points earned on the primary card. ThankYou does not know which card generated the points, so there should not be any expiration implication because the card account is still open.
Exactly right.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:18 am

Nope.

Exactly right.

Great thanks. Now that the second card on Prestige doesn't get the companion ticket or have lounge access, I can't see any reason to pay the extra $50 a year for it. We also have the Premiere with a secondary card, he can just use that and the TYP will end up in the same place.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
CitiGold 40k bonus

Apped for CitiGold the other day (had to do it on the phone cause their website is crap), but once I get the 40k bonus...can I close the account and keep the TY points in my TY account? I also have a prestige and a forward card, so I have a thankyou account i'll be keeping.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by jsucool76
Apped for CitiGold the other day (had to do it on the phone cause their website is crap), but once I get the 40k bonus...can I close the account and keep the TY points in my TY account? I also have a prestige and a forward card, so I have a thankyou account i'll be keeping.
Regardless of how many other Citi cards you have, the points earned from a credit card will expire 30 days after closure of that card. See the wiki above.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Regardless of how many other Citi cards you have, the points earned from a credit card will expire 30 days after closure of that card. See the wiki above.
I think the OP was asking about TYPs from opening a Citi Gold checking account. If so, banking points cannot be combined with TYPs from credit card bonuses and spend, nor can they be transferred to a FF account.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by Brugge
I think the OP was asking about TYPs from opening a Citi Gold checking account. If so, banking points cannot be combined with TYPs from credit card bonuses and spend, nor can they be transferred to a FF account.
The TY accounts can be merged, but the system will differentiate between banking account TY points and credit card TY points - Indeed, it won't let you transfer the merged points from the bank account TY points.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:35 am

Just double checking on expiration of points. If I transfer my TYP's to my wife's account then close my CC, the points I transferred do not expire for 90 days, correct?
Old May 12, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by MrBill64
Just double checking on expiration of points. If I transfer my TYP's to my wife's account then close my CC, the points I transferred do not expire for 90 days, correct?
Ciorrect:
Do shared points expire?

Yes. Shared points received are valid for 90 days from the date received. Shared points not redeemed within 90 days of the date received will expire.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
So Citi does not have a card similar to Chase's Freedom or an Amex Everyday rewards cards that can receive rewards points before cancelling a premium card that earned a bonus like Premeire? They are forfeited if not redeemed for something in 30 days.

I have a few Amex, BRG & PRG 130kpts and now Chase CSP & InkPlus 100k and counting. In Chase's case I have 2 Freedoms to go along with the above and will exchange my Amex Costco to an Everyday and will then decide next June which AFs I'm willing to keep.

What are Citi 50k TY points worth dollar wise or travel wise?

Last edited by mhdena; Jun 13, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:51 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mhdena
So Citi does not have....
We really don't know because Citi has changed the ThankYou Rewards terms without making an announcement. See this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24958639-post678.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.