Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page > Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html

ALL known links for ALL Citi Hilton Honors cards appear to be dead now.
-----------------------------

This thread is a continuation of: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Link no longer working: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...7A711D5L00101W

Link no longer working: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...s-reserve-card

- Earn two weekend night certificates - at select hotels and resorts - after making $2,500 in purchases.
excluded properties: https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/Proces...tingproperties

- Enjoy Hilton HHonors Gold Status as long as you are a Citi Hilton Reserve cardmember

- Annual Fee: $95,
not waived

From the app page:
"Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had any Citi®Hilton HHonorsTM card opened or closed in the past 24 months"."Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months." (Language change to "any" dates back to August 2016.)

When will I receive my free nights?
Some datapoints indicate that the certificates are emailed ~7 days after the statement in which the spend is met, but others datapoints indicate that it may take 1-2 additional statement cycles before they're actually sent.

How long do I have to use the free nights?
The certificates expire 12 months from the date that they're emailed to you. Your stay must be completed on or before this expiration date.

Do I need to print the certificates and take them with me?
Yes. Some people say they haven't been asked for them, but it's much better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Can the free weekend certs be redeemed online?
No, you have to call the HHonors department to book them. Even regular Hilton reservations cannot book them, although they can transfer you to the right department.

so the 2-browser trick is dead. can we still apply two HH Reserve card every 65 days, with same HH #, and get four certificates?
Several people have reported successfully churning this card, and receiving the certificates for both cards. Closing one card before applying for another doesn't appear to be required.

You can still get as many as you want of the Citi Hilton 50k cards (except that CITI only allows two cards of any type every 60-65 days).all 50k card offers without 18 month language dead as of 7/5/15

Can you get the anniversary free night bonus without paying the annual fee, or do you get the free night bonus only if you hit $10,000 in charges AND renew?
This seems to be YMMV. Some people have reported not getting it until well after their AF payment is due, while others have reported getting it in time to cancel and have their AF refunded. More data points on this are needed.

Terms and conditions for the free nights
Friday, Saturday & Sunday night, and I don't think there are any blackout nights (beyond the normal HHonors program rules). Here is the description from the Cert as well as the T&C's:

Description: You've received this reward certificate because you've met the purchase requirements with your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card. This reward is valid for one complimentary weekend night for a standard room at participating hotels worldwide, subject to availability. This reward is not valid at All-Inclusive or Distinctive properties and cannot be combined with the 5th Night Free benefit or other promotions. Please visit HHonors.com/weekendcertificate to see a list of excluded properties.

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As with any HHonors Reward, this Reward Certificate is subject to all HHonors Terms & Conditions on participation, use, and redemption, posted at http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do. The hotel stay received with this Hotel Reward Certificate shall be treated as a Hotel Reward Stay, as defined in the Terms & Conditions, except Points & Money, Premium Room and Room Upgrade Rewards cannot be used with this Certificate.

HOTEL REWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Reward Certificate is not transferable after issued and may be redeemed only by the individual named thereon, consistent with HHonors Terms & Conditions. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward Certificate attempts to redeem it, the Certificate will be deemed void and accommodations will be denied.
2. Reward Certificate may not be sold, auctioned, bartered, brokered or purchased except with the express written consent of Hilton HHonors. Any Reward Certificate obtained in this manner by any person or entity will be considered to be fraudulently obtained and will be deemed void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Altered Reward Certificates are void and will not be honored.
3. Reward Certificate may not be combined with other certificates, discounts, packages or promotional offers, or Hotel Reward stays beyond Standard Room Rewards, unless otherwise specified in writing by Hilton HHonors.
4. Reward Certificate cannot be redeemed for cash, prizes or credit. Reward Certificate is not exchangeable.
5. Reward Certificate will not be replaced, reissued or credited if lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed.
6. Reward Certificate is void if copied, prohibited or restricted by law.
7. HHonors members will not earn points or miles for Hotel Reward stays, unless otherwise stated on the Reward Certificate.
8. Reward Certificate expires on the date noted on the face of the Reward Certificate.
9. Reward Certificate must be redeemed in strict accordance with the procedures specified on the certificate.
10. For the purpose of Certificate redemption, a weekend night is defined as a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, unless specified otherwise on the Reward Certificate.
11. Reward Certificate applies to the room rate and tax of one standard room at a participating hotel and as further provided on the Certificate. A "Standard room" is as defined by the hotel. Any tax liability incurred in connection with the receipt and/or use of this Certificate, including, but not limited to, local or city occupancy taxes, or individual income tax is the sole responsibility of the user. Incidental charges are the responsibility of the user.
12. Reward Certificate usage is limited to Double Occupancy. Additional occupants, age 19 and above, are subject to the standard extra person charges.
13. Reward Certificate reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. Some hotels may require a deposit in lieu of a credit card guarantee. Deposits cannot be waived for Reward Certificate reservations. Reward Certificate reservations that are cancelled outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's minimum rate for that date.
14. Reward Certificate is valid for the number of nights noted under the description on the face of the Certificate. If the Certificate is valid for more than one night, all nights must be used and the Certificate redeemed for a single stay that includes up to all Certificate nights. The Certificate cannot be broken down and/or redeemed for more than one stay. Any unused nights will be forfeited and will not be replaced or credited.
15. No credit or substitutions will be given for any Reward Certificate including those that are only partially used.
16. Promotional Rewards are for Standard Rooms only.
17. Hotel stays resulting from Reward Certificate are non-commissionable to travel agents.
18. Recipients of Reward Certificate may be required to sign a release of liability and a statement permitting the use of their name and/or photo for promotional purposes without additional compensation.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 2, 17, 6:02 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOSOGG View Post
I did talk to a human, and I was not offered any other options. I requested a portion of my CL to be transferred to an existing Citi Card, and was specifically told that transfers of CL’s from Hilton cards were not being allowed. I did not beg, because it was not important to me. End of story.
Yup. No dice. "We are not offering any other options, but you may close the card if you like." Not a direct quote, but pretty much.
Old Nov 2, 17, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Unless they are very efficient in email out the cert, you will be getting the cert in February with a Jan 6 anniversary date. So your account would be switched over already.

Here is the quote from Hilton Rep:
Interesting because here is the other quote from the Hilton Rep:

Any word on when we would receive the free night certs for $10,000 spend if we have already completed that spend? Are we still going to be waiting for our cardholder anniversary date?
Citi Reserve cardmembers who have already spent the $10,000 should receive the email with the reward code in it on the anniversary date.
Old Nov 2, 17, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader View Post
Interesting because here is the other quote from the Hilton Rep:

Any word on when we would receive the free night certs for $10,000 spend if we have already completed that spend? Are we still going to be waiting for our cardholder anniversary date?
Citi Reserve cardmembers who have already spent the $10,000 should receive the email with the reward code in it on the anniversary date.
When was that quote posted? The one I quoted was posted today. It was HonorRep's newest post on the forum.
Old Nov 3, 17, 12:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
12:33 pm, same day, so only a few hours apart. The questions were very slightly different (already met the spend versus meet the spend during 2018), but I think that the two situations will likely be treated the same, we just have no idea which way because the two answers clearly conflict.
I actually question whether either answer is correct. For the Ascend free night, the terms say that you will get your night right after completing spend, not on anniversary. To me, it doesn't make much sense to build two processes.
Old Nov 4, 17, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
Yup. No dice. "We are not offering any other options, but you may close the card if you like." Not a direct quote, but pretty much.
Did anyone recently try lowering their credit limit before cancelling? I didn't bother (when I cancelled my no-AF Citi HH card the other day online), because I'm not applying for any more Citi personal cars in the foreseeable future, but that's a common technique (for freeing up CL faster than cancelling with the full CL) if you are planning on applying for more Citi personal cards.

But I wonder now if they even allow lowering CL any more (if they're not allowing all sorts of other things)?
Old Nov 10, 17, 7:57 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
In the past, it has arrived within a couple of days of statement after AF statement.

My annual fee statement was on Oct 5 and the next statement was on Nov 6. My free night certificate still hasn't arrived. It is making it difficult for me to close the card and get $95 back
Old Nov 10, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mintcilantro View Post
In the past, it has arrived within a couple of days of statement after AF statement.

My annual fee statement was on Oct 5 and the next statement was on Nov 6. My free night certificate still hasn't arrived. It is making it difficult for me to close the card and get $95 back
You will probably get $79.16 (10 months of prorated refund) back like I did. My fee was posted on 9/22. I got my cert end of Oct (around 30th). Cancelled the card on Nov 3rd. I thought I would get $87.08 back as I cancelled in under 60 days, but I guess they counted it as 2 months.
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I posted the below in the Hilton forum thread.

It is really an Amex issue, but wanted to alert Citi holders that cancelled about the concern:

I already have the Hilton Honors Citi Card. I also have Amex Surpass and have no need for another card whether identical or similar.

So I deceided to cancel the Citi Card last month so that it does not convert to Amex.

I received a letter in the mail from Amex today. The letter reiterates what the Citi letter said to expect.

However, what bothers me is the letter goes as far as assigning a NEW Amex account number xxxxx91006. It says the card will automatically be mailed in January.

Obviously I don’t want the card and more important, do not want a new account showing up on my credit and that is why I cancelled early.

I called the special Amex # on the letter and was connected to an offshore agent.

She said no worries.... that “the system” will recognize in January that I cancelled with Citi and a new Amex Card will not be sent.

I asked for that in writing and she said they can’t but will document the notes from the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor will not be able to put in writing either. Supposedly a sup will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have zero confidence at this point that my request to not issue a new Card will be honored given that an Amex account has already been assigned in this letter.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:49 am

I'm trying to decide on the best play for me. I opened the Citi Reserve in June 2017. It was my first and only Hilton card. My first thought was that I should cancel the Reserve now, so that the Amex bonus will be available to me later. I'm thinking Amex will have a generous bonus for the rollout of a new product.

On the other hand, I could apply for the Surpass right now, and get the 120K sign up bonus and lock in the lower annual fee for a year. Then I could keep or cancel the Reserve and it wouldn't make a difference.

Anyone have any advice for me, or see an angle I'm missing? Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
I'm trying to decide on the best play for me. I opened the Citi Reserve in June 2017. It was my first and only Hilton card. My first thought was that I should cancel the Reserve now, so that the Amex bonus will be available to me later. I'm thinking Amex will have a generous bonus for the rollout of a new product.

On the other hand, I could apply for the Surpass right now, and get the 120K sign up bonus and lock in the lower annual fee for a year. Then I could keep or cancel the Reserve and it wouldn't make a difference.

I would absolutely apply for the Surpass right away, and once approved quickly cancel the Citi Res. With any luck AMEX will issue a "new product" next year, and you can then apply for that too.
Old Nov 15, 17, 6:37 am
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr Gold, SPG gold, Assorted debris
Originally Posted by murphy View Post

Frequentmiler blog had a few posts last week on how best to play the CITI-AMEX tranasfer, suggest reading that
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:27 pm

Letter came today announcing my Citi Hilton Reserve will convert to Amex Hilton Ascend in January. It makes clear that, on a one time basis, you will still receive your Reserve annual free night award if you meet the $10,000 spend on either Reserve or the new Ascend card by what would have been your Reserve card anniversary date. Spending on either card counts. The $15,000 spend for the Ascend's own annual free night is not nearly as good a deal, but if you still have spending to do to meet the Reserve $10,000, the same spending is going to double up and count toward the Ascend $15,000 after the conversion. That won't help me because I met my Reserve spend months ago. I recently took advantage of a 100,000 point bonus to switch my no fee Amex Hilton to Surpass so I'll keep either Surpass or Ascend but not both. I understand you have to keep Ascend open until what would have been your Reserve anniversary date to hold on to the Reserve annual free night you have earned.

Last edited by Tizzette; Nov 17, 17 at 11:16 am
Old Nov 16, 17, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
I received a letter today that my Citi Hilton Reserve will convert to a Citi ThankYou Preferred account in January. I don't know why my card isn't being converted to AmEx. I am a longtime American Express and Citi cardholder, and I've never had any negative items with either (or any) issuer. I also don't have, to my knowledge, any conflicting American Express card product, so I don't know what what criteria were used to make a card eligible to be transferred to AmEx.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, MR plt, HH dia
Originally Posted by chix View Post
I posted the below in the Hilton forum thread.

It is really an Amex issue, but wanted to alert Citi holders that cancelled about the concern:

I already have the Hilton Honors Citi Card. I also have Amex Surpass and have no need for another card whether identical or similar.

So I deceided to cancel the Citi Card last month so that it does not convert to Amex.

I received a letter in the mail from Amex today. The letter reiterates what the Citi letter said to expect.

However, what bothers me is the letter goes as far as assigning a NEW Amex account number xxxxx91006. It says the card will automatically be mailed in January.

Obviously I don’t want the card and more important, do not want a new account showing up on my credit and that is why I cancelled early.

I called the special Amex # on the letter and was connected to an offshore agent.

She said no worries.... that “the system” will recognize in January that I cancelled with Citi and a new Amex Card will not be sent.

I asked for that in writing and she said they can’t but will document the notes from the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor will not be able to put in writing either. Supposedly a sup will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have zero confidence at this point that my request to not issue a new Card will be honored given that an Amex account has already been assigned in this letter.

Any suggestions?

Did the supervisor ever call you? I am in a similar situation, but with multiple Citi HH cards. I cancelled them back in October. After finally getting under 5/24 so that I could apply for some Chase cards that I wanted, now these HH cards are causing me grief. The accounts were over 2 years old. My main concern is that I don't want new accounts on my credit report. If they show up as being opened when the Citi accounts were opened, I can live with that. I just really don't want this to mess me up with Chase!

Last edited by jeanie; Nov 27, 17 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 29, 17, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
Did the supervisor ever call you? I am in a similar situation, but with multiple Citi HH cards. I cancelled them back in October. After finally getting under 5/24 so that I could apply for some Chase cards that I wanted, now these HH cards are causing me grief. The accounts were over 2 years old. My main concern is that I don't want new accounts on my credit report. If they show up as being opened when the Citi accounts were opened, I can live with that. I just really don't want this to mess me up with Chase!
We don't know yet how these converted-between-banks cards will show up on your credit report.

They would only mess up Chase if they show 'opened on" dates of "around now", whether they're new accounts or not. If their "opened on" dates are backdated to when opened your corresponding CIti HH card, it won't matter (if those were over 2 years old).

It's only if they don't backdate, or for people who opened their Citi HH cards less than 2 years ago, that a new account duplicating the Citi account would mess you up with Chase.

Banks have the ability to backdate "opened on" dates if they wish. And in fact Amex has a history related to this: Up until early 2015, every Amex card you got was backdated on credit reports to the date on which you opened your first Amex card (at least that they have a record of). So until early 2017, any Amex card you got before early 2015 didn't mess you up with Chase, because Chase saw it as if it had been opened years earlier than it actually was opened.

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?
jeanie likes this.

Search this Thread