Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Travel Fee for Ticket Cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Travel Fee for Ticket Cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:17 pm

Happy, I see in another thread you posted in 2009 about these credits a bit.

I couldn't quite follow from the discussion however,

Say this credit is sitting there in AA from my TYN cancellation, is the thinking that I can call to request a paper voucher from it?

Or is the thinking that I could call to request a paper voucher of only the residual after booking another ticket from it?

Can either of the above be done, since Citi TYN told me I could likely not even book a flight with the residual directly with AA because (as AA told me earlier as well) they will say only the Travel Agency can do anything with it.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
About two months ago I made an error, booking an 6am flight instead of the intended 6pm flight through the TYP website.

Upon calling UA I was told they can't help since I didn't book the flight on their website.

Upon calling Citi/Spirit incentives I was told they could either change the flight for me, or cancel it (and have my points refunded), but both would cost me $35.

I elected to have the flight canceled and points refunded, and I immediately followed up with a call to Citi Premier customer service to complain about this 'exorbitant' fee for an honest mistake. The supervisor was very kind and offered a $35 credit on my account as 'valuable customer credit'.

YMMV but I charge approx $18-20k / year on the card and I made the call within 24 hours of the original booking.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:32 pm

Thanks, my booking was several months ago, so not within 24 hours. I am mainly trying to figure out if I can get the credit issued as a voucher, which would give me a lot more flexibility. (I booked 13 tickets to a family wedding in Panama, so I needed to do it well in advance to get us all down there the same time, but one person cannot make it now due to new job.)

The TYP terms look to be similar to other travel agencies. Googled and found this on Orbitz.

When using a flight credit for a previously cancelled flight, the following restrictions apply:
Your new flight must be with the same airline(s) as the original ticket.
You cannot change the name on an airline ticket or give the ticket to someone else to use.
All flights are subject to availability.
If the cost of the new flight exceeds the amount of your credit, you will need to pay the difference in price.
Expect to pay change fees, which typically average about $230.00 per ticket.

So I am wondering if what Happy wrote about in an old thread would be available today. i.e. get a voucher from original unused ticket amount or book a low cost ticket and then get the remainder as a voucher as another option.

At this point, I guess, I can cancel the ticket through TYP, and then try getting the credit sent as a voucher from AA. Also, I could ask them if I use only part of the credit could I get the remainder as a voucher.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:58 am

As a Citi Prestige card holder. I was able to cancel an AA reservation without any fees within 24 hours. Points were refunded back to the account immediately.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by imm2b
As a Citi Prestige card holder. I was able to cancel an AA reservation without any fees within 24 hours. Points were refunded back to the account immediately.
All US airlines have to provide 100% refunds within 24 hours of booking.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
-OR- they have to allow you to hold the reservation for 24 hours. If you book on aa.com you cannot cancel and claim a refund, you must use the 24 hour hold feature instead. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-elliott.html
Old May 1, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
When cancelling the reservation within 24 hours, did you call AA to cancel or Citi Prestige/TY Rewards? Trying to determine which would be easier.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by dangw20
When cancelling the reservation within 24 hours, did you call AA to cancel or Citi Prestige/TY Rewards? Trying to determine which would be easier.
I cancelled in March, no fees. Everything was refunded. Called City TY number. It was an AS flight.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I cancelled in March, no fees. Everything was refunded. Called City TY number. It was an AS flight.
Thanks, ended up not having to cancel (luckily). I've had trouble cancelling with Citi TY within 24 hours before, though it was with Norwegian Air and they aren't very common so that may have partially been why.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:08 am

Just cancelled a flight I booked about 12 hours ago. No fees at all, agent was very pleasant, all points returned within 60 seconds.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
This may not be the case for last-minute bookings. Let's say it's evening, and I make a reservation on Delta.com for a 6 PM flight the next afternoon. If I understand their posted rules correctly, I can cancel without penalty only until midnight.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Anyone with experience on changing a TYP ticket on American more than once? (Well after 34hours)

The T&c earlier said changed only once.

Also, what if the new fare is less (say on a different touting)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
For those that have made changes, did the new fare book under special fares still?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:03 pm

Scheduled changed for more than 5 hours. Used my Citi Prestige card for 1.6 redemption but cancelled my Prestige but still have the Premier. Would it be possible to return the points to another card?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think I"m up a creek.

Bought a RT F LAX-AUS for my wife right before the points devalued (roughly $500 fare at 1.6 cents per point).

The hotel isn't opening in time, and the event organizer is moving citiies. I'll have to go to the new city.

I cancelled my wife's prestige card last week. So is there any chance I can some residual value from the ticket? Can I use Citi, pay a change fee and fare difference? If the card was still open, how would it work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.