Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Thankyou Premier vs Preferred vs Bank America Travel Reward?

Old Jun 6, 12, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

While desperately trying to upgrade my current credit cards I've called Citi to do something about Diamond Preferred card that had 'not-so-great' ExtraCash offer. They asked me to pick a card and I chose Premier because I thought I would get no-preset spending limit.

Turns out, all limits will transfer over so I won't have much benefit in that area.
So I was looking at the benefits to justify $125 annual fee.
1. Companion Ticket sounds good but reviews are horrible. I probably won't use it much
2. Earn as many points as you have flown. Good but it's still max 2% reward
3. Earn extra points by booking tickets through citi travel.

Would there be anything else that'll justify the premier over no-annual-fee Preferred?

Also BofA just introduced a Travel Reward card that has 1.5% points with no-annual fee. I've heard that you can redeem points just like the Captial One Venture card, which will be great since you can search for cheapest flight anywhere and redeem with points. Is there a truth to this?

Thanks in adv. You guys are great.
Old Jun 6, 12, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM; UA Silver, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ncentives.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...irst-year.html
Old Jun 6, 12, 5:45 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH, Marriott & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by larciel View Post
... chose Premier because I thought I would get no-preset spending limit.

1. Companion Ticket sounds good but reviews are horrible. I probably won't use it much
2. Earn as many points as you have flown. Good but it's still max 2% reward

Also BofA just introduced a Travel Reward card that has 1.5% points with no-
0. No preset limit is a feature of MasterCard World and VISA Signature cards. The card will still have an assigned revolving limit, but you will be able to exceed it by an unspecified amount. Ask Citi for guidance.

1. See this thread about the companion ticket feature:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...on-ticket.html

2. ThankYou Points are worth $0.0133 if redeemed for travel. Flight Points raises the maximum to 2.66%, if your spending and travel patterns allow you to use the feature well. See this thread. Don't be confused by the title or the early posts which describe a temporary software glitch. A 25% "discount" is identical to a 33% "bonus".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-holders.html

3. Here is the Bank of America thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l-credits.html
Old Jun 7, 12, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
No ForEx fees on the Premier if you travel internationally.

The companion ticket is a great feature, in my opinion. I've used mine this year, and my parents used theirs. Each time we saved in excess of $300.

15% off any airfare purchase is nice as well.

If you earn flight points and TY points, it's true you're essentially stuck at 2 points per $1. But, if you redeem your TY points for flights, you get 1.33cpp and, therefore, 2.66% per $1 (if you've earned flight points).
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, AS MVPG, AR PLT,SPG GOLD
Maximize ty points With the forward card and an att universal card so you get 5 Ty points on select categories. Having the premier card along with these 2 among other Ty cards like the preferred which is giving you 5 Ty points on gas,supermarkets and drugstores for first 12 months. You can get excellent value. I'm not sure why the premier card does not get more love.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by roki View Post
No ForEx fees on the Premier if you travel internationally.

The companion ticket is a great feature, in my opinion. I've used mine this year, and my parents used theirs. Each time we saved in excess of $300.

15% off any airfare purchase is nice as well.

If you earn flight points and TY points, it's true you're essentially stuck at 2 points per $1. But, if you redeem your TY points for flights, you get 1.33cpp and, therefore, 2.66% per $1 (if you've earned flight points).
Originally Posted by bilah1 View Post
Maximize ty points With the forward card and an att universal card so you get 5 Ty points on select categories. Having the premier card along with these 2 among other Ty cards like the preferred which is giving you 5 Ty points on gas,supermarkets and drugstores for first 12 months. You can get excellent value. I'm not sure why the premier card does not get more love.
Like the above post I've saved over $350 on my companion ticket. Plus Citi has other cards to combine with the Premier card. Both my wife and I have made over 110,000 TYP's by doing this.
Old Feb 26, 13, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Can the Citi TX Preferred be redeemed for 1.33 cents to 1 Thank You points? I got a Premier card right now, with annual fee due soon. The customer service rep said I can downgrade to a Preferred with no annual fee.

In case I don't redeem them for flights, can Preferred thank you points be redeemed for gift cards at 1 cent per 1 Thank you points?
Old Jul 22, 13, 1:28 am

Anyone know the difference between the Citi ThankYou Preferred vs the Citi ThankYou regular? They seem to be the exact thing.
Old Jul 22, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by opus2002 View Post
Can the Citi TX Preferred be redeemed for 1.33 cents to 1 Thank You points? I got a Premier card right now, with annual fee due soon. The customer service rep said I can downgrade to a Preferred with no annual fee.

In case I don't redeem them for flights, can Preferred thank you points be redeemed for gift cards at 1 cent per 1 Thank you points?
With the Preferred card, points cannot be redeemed at the 1.33c level for flights, only 1c. They also cannot be transferred to Hilton. They do get the 1c value for gift cards though.

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Anyone know the difference between the Citi ThankYou Preferred vs the Citi ThankYou regular? They seem to be the exact thing.
I believe the primary difference is that the Preferred can be a World MC / Visa Signature giving you the associated benefits compared to a regular MC / Visa.
Old Jul 22, 13, 3:22 pm

thank you, @islandguy84

Anybody know if I can product change from a regular ThankYou card to the Citi Prestige? I've had my ThankYou card since it came out, but it use to be a Diamond Preferred. They product changed me automatically to the ThankYou card.