Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

ThankYou Reward travel engine limitations/bugs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

When I tried to book three seats on the Thankyou engine recently, I found something strange.

The flight I want has the following fare buckets available: 1 ticket at $100, 1 ticket at $200, 7+ tickets at $300 (to illustrate I simplify the numbers). When I ask for 1 ticket, the engine grabs the $100 ticket and ask for around 8k points. But when I ask for 3 tickets, it requires 72k points. The fare engine can not grab the two tickets at the lower price buckets.

I wonder if this has been the experience with other travelers as well. Also, is Chase card's engine any better in this?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:30 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Wouldn't Travelocity, Expedia, or even a site like AA.com do the exact same thing? The only way around is booking 1 ticket, 1 ticket, and then the rest.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The booking engines tie directly to airline inventories. Airlines have limit on each fare bucket and usually the lowest one often has only 1 ticket available for sale. When you take 2 tickets the airline site automatically prices the tickets at the higher fare base.

The only way to get around it is 1 at a time. And dont expect every subsequent ones would be as cheap as the previous one.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

I have limited knowledge of different fare engine/GBS. But my company's fare engine will always get the cheaper fares and average out (I think it's tied to Amadeus). I always thought Expedia will do the same but never tried.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mntblue
I have limited knowledge of different fare engine/GBS. But my company's fare engine will always get the cheaper fares and average out (I think it's tied to Amadeus). I always thought Expedia will do the same but never tried.
I believe Citi TYP does not use Expedia from almost 2 years ago.

AFAIK, airline websites do not average out the fares - when the intended purchase has more tickets than the available for the lowest fare bucket, the airline sites always give you the HIGHER fares for ALL the tickets you want to purchase, despite there are still 1 or 2 available at the lowest bucket.

More over, if you try again and again in short time span, the sites would not give you the lowest fare any more even if you only ask for 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.