Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question on cancelled ThankYou points air ticket

Old Dec 31, 11, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If I book a ticket using all ThankYou points, and then have to cancel, is there any way that the points can get redeposited back into the account - or are they just forfeited at that point?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mia; Dec 31, 11 at 9:14 pm Reason: Update title
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney View Post
If I book a ticket using all ThankYou points, and then have to cancel, is there any way that the points can get redeposited back into the account - or are they just forfeited at that point?

Thanks in advance.
What did you find out? Did you call Citi/TY?
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I did not have time to further pursue the matter, presently. Was sort of hoping someone would know.
Old Jan 3, 12, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just a guess on my part, but if the tkt purchased using the Pts was a non-refundable Id imagine the Pts are history
Old Jan 3, 12, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
When I cancelled a refundable booking I made with TYP I just asked the airline to give me airline credit. No questions asked.
Old Jan 4, 12, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz View Post
just a guess on my part, but if the tkt purchased using the Pts was a non-refundable Id imagine the Pts are history
Correct. Any change after booking would be between you and the airline.

Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
When I cancelled a refundable booking I made with TYP I just asked the airline to give me airline credit. No questions asked.
You were lucky.

Most airlines insist the refund goes back to the original form of payment - in this case, it is the credit card used by TYP to book your ticket.

Be very careful employing this tactic. Refundable ticket usually is refunded back to original form of payment as a standard procedure. Retain as airline credit or a voucher is not a standard procedure. Mishandling could happen and unintended consequence is not pretty - for the refund would go right back to the CC used by TYP to pay for your ticket. Good luck in untangle the mess after that has happened. just sayin.
Old Jan 4, 12, 8:09 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
ThankYou terms are ambiguous.

In one paragraph they stipulate that all tickets are non-refundable:

All airline tickets, hotel, car rental, vacation packages, cruises and activities booked in exchange for ThankYou Points are nonrefundable, nonendorsable and nontransferable. Changes to bookings are subject to the fees and conditions described in these terms and conditions. All changes must be within the same travel region as defined by the carrier's fare rules and meet the booking requirements in effect at the time of the change. Any additional costs due to a permitted change are your responsibility and will be collected in U.S. dollars, not ThankYou Points, with a credit or debit card in the name of the ThankYou Member. Any change, cancellation or additional collection fees imposed by the airline, hotel, car rental company, tour, cruise or activity provider are the responsibility of the traveler.
Yet in another paragraph they stipulate the fees for processing refunds:

Airline tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-CHANGEABLE unless permitted by the terms of the fare and are subject to airline rules, penalties and fare difference. A $35.00 per ticket service fee for domestic flights and $50.00 per ticket service fee for international flights will be collected by CLTS for all exchanges, modifications, or cancellations, in addition to airline penalties and fare difference. CLTS fee(s) will appear on your card statement as Trip Charges.
Old Dec 18, 16, 10:18 am

I was able to cancel a non-refundable American Airlines ticket within 24 hours of making the reservation using a combination of TYP and cash. There was no charge for the cancellation when I called the TYP travel department.

Note that as of 4/1/2016 AA allows free cancellations of purchased tickets within the 24 hour window even though they continue to have a hold option on their website. Previously, they used the hold option as their only way of complying with the federal requirement of offering a 24 hour refund.
Old Dec 31, 16, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I hope we get more data points before the TYP value on AA plummets later this year.
Old Jan 4, 17, 9:16 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
I was able to cancel a Frontier flight booked with TYP within 24hr (the prestige card apparently has an added benefit of being able to cancel any award ticket within 24hrs).

I was unsuccessful trying to get a TYP refund for a AA flight canceled after 24hrs of booking (and within 24hrs of the actual flight).
Old Jan 10, 17, 5:41 pm

I had the experience of having my flight cancelled by AA. AA tried to refund or give me a voucher but it didnt work so I was refunded the TYP back to my account. It did require a second call 30 days later to get my points but I was refunded in full due to an AA cancellation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: