Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
This benefit ends in October 2014. See THIS thread.

Please verify that you are posting in the correct thread.

This thread discusses a Companion Ticket benefit provided to Citi Premier and Prestige cardholders.

There is also a 15% Discount benefit, which is discussed in a separate thread:

New Citi Premier & Prestige 15% Off Travel when booked through Spirit Incentives

Both benefits can be booked online: http://www.thankyoucompanion.com/

Can also be booked by phone: (866) 428-4078, M-F 9a-6p ET, Sat 10a-1p ET. There are some reports that Delta results will not populate online but can be booked by phone, assuming it is among the lowest published fares.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige card companion ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pedro colizzle
What if I want a specific airline and flight which I found available online?
Spirit Incentives uses the largest global distribution system (GDS) available to provide you airline and schedule options. Other online venues may at times have specific arrangements with airlines or resellers that Spirit Incentives is not participating in. In the unlikely event [!] that you would find an airfare option not offered you should contact our Reservations Center at 866-428-4078... [note: in which case they won't be able to offer you anything beyond the results on the website].
So I'm looking at a possible itinerary, and the thankyoucompanion website is giving me the regular fares (although they seem to be marking up the "taxes and fees" on the companion by about $40). But the flight options they give me are funky -- almost random. They're even ignoring a bunch of nonstops for more expensive connecting flights! If I call, can I get different flights? They're not more expensive that what's being presented on the website.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm looking at a possible itinerary, and the thankyoucompanion website is giving me the regular fares (although they seem to be marking up the "taxes and fees" on the companion by about $40). But the flight options they give me are funky -- almost random. They're even ignoring a bunch of nonstops for more expensive connecting flights! If I call, can I get different flights? They're not more expensive that what's being presented on the website.
If you call, the reps will tell you they see the same inventory you see on the website.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pedro colizzle
If you call, the reps will tell you they see the same inventory you see on the website.
That's not good. Anyway to manipulate the input? Like I was looking for a way to pick the time of day I wanted to travel to get closer to my preferred flight time, but that function did not seem to exist.

I can't think of a reason why Citi would want to restrict the award in this way, other than programming incompetence.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond
A few posts have already mentioned you earn AA miles on both the paid and companion ticket, but I just wanted to reconfirm, because I have used Spirit Incentives in the past (a few years ago now, outside of Citi) and you definitely didn't earn miles on the free ticket. Is it different for the Citi sponsored program, or is it carrier specific (interested primarily in United)? I'm interested primarily in earning EQM for both tickets.

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:00 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Another datapoint-- I had luck booking a TY companion ticket on AA JFK-SFO.

The lowest fare from AA booked into O class and was $317 all in. $317 was also the lowest fare offered from UA, DL, VX and B6 on my travel dates, and I was offered options from each airline through the Spirit online booking engine. Unfortunately, only 2 AA options were offered for each of the outbound and the return, even though when I checked with AA, every flight on each travel day was the same price.

My total for the two tickets through Spirit was $414, so a savings of $220, so I definitely feel like I received sufficient value from this benefit for this year, even if I had paid the annual fee (I just got the card, so the fee is waived for the first year).

I was able to enter the AAdvantage numbers for each flyer on the Spirit website, the itinerary immediately showed up as linked to my account on AA.com (and the e-ticket receipt through AA shows that the tickets were booked into O class), and I was able to request upgrades using my 500-mi stickers.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
As an update, the charge for the 2 tickets posted to my Citi account with the merchant simply listed as "Spirit Incentives", with no extra information (such as flight routing information) listed.

I'm comparing this to when you purchase directly from an airline, travel agent, or online travel agent, where the charge usually identifies the airline, dates travelling, fare class, and flight routing information.

Based on there being none of this information on my statement, I will assume that I will not be earning flight points for this ticket. (I know there is inconclusive and conflicting information in this thread as to whether one earns flight points on the first ticket.)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by dw
As an update, the charge for the 2 tickets posted to my Citi account with the merchant simply listed as "Spirit Incentives", with no extra information (such as flight routing information) listed.

I'm comparing this to when you purchase directly from an airline, travel agent, or online travel agent, where the charge usually identifies the airline, dates travelling, fare class, and flight routing information.

Based on there being none of this information on my statement, I will assume that I will not be earning flight points for this ticket. (I know there is inconclusive and conflicting information in this thread as to whether one earns flight points on the first ticket.)
I just purchased tickets using Spirit Incentives for the first time recently. I agree that my Citi account shows the transaction as "Spirit Incentives" without any flight details. However, I also just bought a ticket off of United.com which shows up under United on my transaction list and doesn't have any flight info either.

My recollection is that the flight details are on the statement for the billing cycle that includes the actual flight (not the purchase) but will check in a few months.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by am23
.? flight details are on the statement for the billing cycle that includes the actual flight (not the purchase) but will check in a few months.
The flight details appear as part of the purchase transaction details. Are you looking at the transaction on Citi's website or on the PDF (or printed) statement?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by mia
The flight details appear as part of the purchase transaction details. Are you looking at the transaction on Citi's website or on the PDF (or printed) statement?
Good call. I was looking at the transaction on Citi's website but the details do appear on the PDF. Guess I'll have to wait for the current billing period to close and check the actual statement.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
My details did not show up on the printed statement or PDF. Is there a way to fax in the boarding pass to get flight points on the purchased ticket?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:44 am
jk2

The same issue here. I've purchased a companion ticket through Spirit, paid with my Citi Premier card, and didn't get any flight points. At least, I got airline miles (SkyMiles) for both tickets.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Citi ThankYou Premier Card Companion Cert

Hi,
I just got the Premier Card a few months ago and completed the minimum spend for the card. Is the companion cert already available for my use, or do I have to wait until my 1st anniversary with the card?
Also, is this companion cert useful, or are the terms and conditions restrictive enough to make it useless?
Thanks!
Kay
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Hi,
I just got the Premier Card a few months ago and completed the minimum spend for the card. Is the companion cert already available for my use, or do I have to wait until my 1st anniversary with the card?
Also, is this companion cert useful, or are the terms and conditions restrictive enough to make it useless?
Thanks!
Kay
https://www.thankyoucompanion.com/ss...l/gateway.rvlx

you can start using it right away. No need for a paper cert.
Useful. Not exactly half off due to tax and limitation on some airlines, but a good saving.
The 15% is also very useful.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Thanks! That's actually great news. Can I look at routings online, or do I have to give them a call?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have transplanted Kay_nyc's question into the established thread on this topic. Reviewing old posts should help set realistic expectations. Self service booking is available at the URL included in 5DMarkIIguy's reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.