Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
This benefit ends in October 2014. See THIS thread.

Please verify that you are posting in the correct thread.

This thread discusses a Companion Ticket benefit provided to Citi Premier and Prestige cardholders.

There is also a 15% Discount benefit, which is discussed in a separate thread:

New Citi Premier & Prestige 15% Off Travel when booked through Spirit Incentives

Both benefits can be booked online: http://www.thankyoucompanion.com/

Can also be booked by phone: (866) 428-4078, M-F 9a-6p ET, Sat 10a-1p ET. There are some reports that Delta results will not populate online but can be booked by phone, assuming it is among the lowest published fares.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige card companion ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alex_b
First year fees are waived so this might be a good deal.
I have not seen any offer for Prestige with fee waiver or any type of bonus. Do you have a link?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
What most people have said is the inventory changes day to day. So try tomorrow and you'll find different choices.
Really? How the heck are the "available" flights selected? And can you call to get more inventory?

Why would they manage the progam this way? It seems to have no purpose other than to inconvenience customers. Maybe that depresses redemption a little, but I think it mostly just creates inconvenience.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:48 pm

If you have the TY Prestige you can as they have international companion fares. First year fees are waived so this might be a good deal.
Is the International companion fare for economy only or for business class as well. Has anyone used this benefit? Any positive/negative experiences?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by maulah
Is the International companion fare for economy only or for business class as well. Has anyone used this benefit? Any positive/negative experiences?
The free companion ticket is ONLY for domestic flights
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by iahphx
Really? How the heck are the "available" flights selected? And can you call to get more inventory?

Why would they manage the progam this way? It seems to have no purpose other than to inconvenience customers. Maybe that depresses redemption a little, but I think it mostly just creates inconvenience.
I don't know I guess you would have to ask them. I do know when I've picked out a destination I usually follow it daily. Some days I have a choice of 4 DL, 3 UA and 6 AA the next day it could be 6 UA 1 DL and 3 AA. I will say I've never called. I do believe that's been brought up in the thread and people who have called were told no more inventory, what you see is what you can get?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I don't know I guess you would have to ask them. I do know when I've picked out a destination I usually follow it daily. Some days I have a choice of 4 DL, 3 UA and 6 AA the next day it could be 6 UA 1 DL and 3 AA. I will say I've never called. I do believe that's been brought up in the thread and people who have called were told no more inventory, what you see is what you can get?
I just "gave up" and chose a different long weekend to travel -- where the displayed flight inventory was, of course, different. I didn't want to wait because I was able to get a nonstop transcon for $233 all in (to PDX no less), and they then effectively charged me $95 for the companion. Best deal I'm likely to get these days, especially since we're both UA plats and will earn double miles on each ticket.

My wife also has one of these Premier cards though, so I am still interested in figuring out a way to get more inventory displayed.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:20 am
mia

If you have the TY Prestige you can as they have international companion fares
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
The free companion ticket is ONLY for domestic flights
Premier card offers only domestic companion benefit, but Prestige card benefit is different.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I have not seen any offer for Prestige with fee waiver or any type of bonus. Do you have a link?
I applied with my CitiGold account and got a fee waiver.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

breakdown of benefit

My UA receipt actually indicates that Citi's travel agency paid $500.80 for my 2 tickets. The published fare was indeed $250.40, and I was billed $328.42. So my "free" ticket was $78.02. Not sure how you get to that amount -- it's obviously not "free" and it's hard to say I'm "just paying the taxes" -- but it's hard to complain about this "throwaway" benefit (we all got this card for the bonus points) that's saving me some genuine dinero.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by iahphx
...So my "free" ticket was $78.02. Not sure how you get to that amount
$78.02 is the taxes and fees. Some of the taxes have always been embedded in the fare (e.g. 7% excise tax), even before the recent rules requiring airlines to include all taxes in advertised fares.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
$78.02 is the taxes and fees. Some of the taxes have always been embedded in the fare (e.g. 7% excise tax), even before the recent rules requiring airlines to include all taxes in advertised fares.
They also were (are?) placing as surcharge on top of the taxes and fees a couple months ago that ranged from 10%-35%. I don't know if this is still the case as I used up my companion tickets for the year.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustinTI
They also were (are?) placing as surcharge on top of the taxes and fees a couple months ago that ranged from 10%-35%. I don't know if this is still the case as I used up my companion tickets for the year.
If you go to the "receipt" function on United.com, they break down the taxes further. For my ticket, it shows that, for my "free ticket." Citi paid:

Airfare: 202.80 USD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 15.20
U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 11.40
September 11th Security Fee: 7.50
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 13.50

So they're definitely charging me me more than "the tax" for the free ticket.

I guess we could hire a class action lawyer in California to sue them and all get a refund check in 2016 for something like $3.28. I shouldn't joke about it -- it might actually happen!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by maulah

Both are only economy, for the premier this is only domestic (48 states) but for prestige it is also international.

Oddly enough Spirit doesn't even offer business for the 15% discount benefit, only economy and first. Clearly the international thing was tacked on later by somebody who has never flown internationally and doesn't realise planes come with more than 2 cabins named as per the US domestic standard.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:01 am
BCF

Programs: AA, US, WN, Marriot, Hilton
I am going to use free companion ticket for my wife on a trip which I will get reimbursed for (just my own air fare). So, I need to show them the receipt which shows how much I paid for the ticket. My question is what will show on the receipt? Will they give separate receipt for my ticket and the companion?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by BCF
I am going to use free companion ticket for my wife on a trip which I will get reimbursed for (just my own air fare). So, I need to show them the receipt which shows how much I paid for the ticket. My question is what will show on the receipt? Will they give separate receipt for my ticket and the companion?
I just booked a flight and my receipt shows:
Ticket Price
$633.60 USD
Companion Ticket Price
$0.00 USD
Taxes & Fees
$232.76 USD
Total Price
$866.36 USD

Interestingly I added my UA MP number and my receipt on ua.com shows:
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 528.00 USD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 33.40
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
September 11th Security Fee: 2.50
Mexico Departure Tax: 37.44
Mexico Tourism Tax: 21.04
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
Per Person Total: 644.38 USD
eTicket Total: 1,288.76 USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.