Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You don't know that it's laziness. I suspect that it's more often confusion -- you and I are used to this stuff, but a newcomer or an FTer who hasn't been active in this area could easily be overwhelmed by a 6000-post thread. You don't actually know the people asking the questions, so you can't know why they're asking unless they tell you. You certainly can't know their personality flaws.

How would your boss feel if you spent 3 hours reading through a 1000-page binder to find the answer to a question that your coworker could have answered in 15 seconds? How would you feel if your coworker instead told you, "go read that 1000-page binder over there"?

I'd like it if you'd stop replying with negatives to the posts that irk you. If others want to answer the question, they can do so.
I'd like it if more new FT members would do some research on their own, and thus become contributors to these efforts. These credit cards earn benefits easily worth $1,000 each, yet people post question after question that has been answered repeatedly so they can get 2, 3 or more cards

Isn't $1,000 or $2,000 of benefits worth an hour or two of someone's time? Read the first few pages of a thread; read the last 10-20 pages of the thread. Take notes, ask yourself questions, be curious. What are the key issues to getting this card? As you read posts, see how the data points underline and eliminate what works and what doesn't. Then come on, ask questions, but be ready to add data points and ideas of your own.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:44 pm

i have 10 citi accounts.... one of them business acct.

Originally Posted by pianistat
Update: Called at the number provided and got denied. Reason: reached the maximum number of allowed accounts w them. Currently have 4 open citi personal cards, and none business. Use to have total of 2 business before w them, both cancelled.
2 of my personal cards are AA. Do you think it is a good idea to close immediately one of them, and in a week when I get the letter, I call for reconsideration?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
How would your boss feel if you spent 3 hours reading through a 1000-page binder to find the answer to a question that your coworker could have answered in 15 seconds? How would you feel if your coworker instead told you, "go read that 1000-page binder over there"?
If the 1000-page binder was in chronological order of updates, I wouldn't start from the beginning, I would at least look at the last few pages.

"Our" (collectively) response is never "go read 600 pages." It is "read the last 10 pages."

When the question of "Is such and so link still valid" and there are numerous posts on every page with data points, pointing that out, or asking the person to do their own research, and when applying for credit/anything banking, you need to do your own research, is not an unreasonable suggestion.

I would also like to point out that you are not a mod, you may have a high post count and older join date, but you are not a mod, and you cannot dictate how others post.

Last edited by PainCorp; Apr 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
I'd like it if you'd stop replying with negatives to the posts that irk you. If others want to answer the question, they can do so.
^
Ahhhh, if only.
Personally, I too find the incessant self-appointed FT scolding police much more annoying than the innocent FT 101 questions that seem to motivate the self-appointed FT scolding police.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I would also like to point out that you are not a mod, you may have a high post count and older join date, but you are not a mod, and you cannot dictate how others post.
Surely you can't be serious. Neck-deep in irony anyone? Kettles and pots anyone? (And I apologize for calling you Shirley.) (Unless your name actually is Shirley.)

Last edited by brasov02; Apr 15, 2013 at 12:20 am
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brasov02
Surely you can't be serious. Neck-deep in irony anyone? Kettles and pots anyone? (And I apologize for calling you Shirley.) (Unless your name actually is Shirley.)
There's a difference between saying "your posts bother me, you can't do that" and saying "this topic has been covered in depth, please research before asking very obvious questions that have been covered to death already."

I also don't think this is an argument that needs to take place publicly on FT. For the sake of not cluttering up an already clogged thread, I'm removing myself from this conversation and won't be responding to more posts.

Mods, feel free to delete this banter.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:25 am

Wink my immense success with the AA citi cards

So I'm a college student, employed, with $35k annual income through combined sources. I applied for the 50k/$2500 spend AA Select AMEX through the link in post 1 in January, approved instantly with $6500 credit line/zone 1/2 club passes, etc. Applied through a link not listed for the Gold AAdvantage card, and somehow citi received it as the application for their basic Visa AA cards, but still with a 30k/$1k spend bonus, approved with a $2000 limit. Both bonuses posted immediately after the statement closed in which I hit the spend threshold. Applied april 1 for the Thank You Premiere card, approved instantly with a $3500 limit. Just applied tonight for the 30k/$1k spend AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard, approved with a $2500 limit after shifting $2500 away from the Amex. Had to call in for the MasterCard and the rep (very nice) explained to me that Citi had a maximum credit amount they could offer me, so I did so, and that's how I was approved for the MasterCard.

Figured the maximum credit line offered issue could be affecting some outcomes?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
So I'm a college student, employed, with $35k annual income through combined sources. I applied for the 50k/$2500 spend AA Select AMEX through the link in post 1 in January, approved instantly with $6500 credit line/zone 1/2 club passes, etc. Applied through a link not listed for the Gold AAdvantage card, and somehow citi received it as the application for their basic Visa AA cards, but still with a 30k/$1k spend bonus, approved with a $2000 limit. Both bonuses posted immediately after the statement closed in which I hit the spend threshold. Applied april 1 for the Thank You Premiere card, approved instantly with a $3500 limit. Just applied tonight for the 30k/$1k spend AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard, approved with a $2500 limit after shifting $2500 away from the Amex. Had to call in for the MasterCard and the rep (very nice) explained to me that Citi had a maximum credit amount they could offer me, so I did so, and that's how I was approved for the MasterCard.

Figured the maximum credit line offered issue could be affecting some outcomes?

Most denials that I've seen lately are for same product, but we're seeing more and more slipping through lately....
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:15 am

Instantly approved personal Visa link #2.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by Long Islander
You can call Citi and ask them to be sure, but my understanding is that the clock starts runnin on the 4 months the day you apply -- not the day you get approved or the day you activate (which would make more sense).
Unfortunately, when I activated the card, it was pass midnight (EST) and they were "doing updates" so I couldn't change my pin nor get an operator... I'll call the regular customer line later to confirm the promotion and deadlines...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
If the 1000-page binder was in chronological order of updates, I wouldn't start from the beginning, I would at least look at the last few pages.

"Our" (collectively) response is never "go read 600 pages." It is "read the last 10 pages."

When the question of "Is such and so link still valid" and there are numerous posts on every page with data points, pointing that out, or asking the person to do their own research, and when applying for credit/anything banking, you need to do your own research, is not an unreasonable suggestion.

When did I dictate anything? You are positing something that isn't there.

I'd LIKE you to be nice. Apparently you prefer not to be, and come up with rationalization after rationalization to justify your behavior.

Me, if I know the answer I'll give it. It's not hard and it does me no harm.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
People. These message boards are daunting.
1) Be nice.
2) Download the FlyerTalk App and start reading threads while you're waiting online at the grocery store. The material here is more interesting than Kim Kardashian's pregnancy.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 am

datapoint: applied for biz and personal on same day. Although one was a deferred approval, both arrived in the mail 2 weeks later with no further contact.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:59 pm

Used link#2 personal Visa. Approved, 50k confirmed by calling
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by masondfw
Used link#2 personal Visa. Approved, 50k confirmed by calling
Thanks for posting the confirmation. Didn't think to call until I received the physical card and activated it. When I activate, I always ask them to confirm the bonus and spend terms. Did you just call the main Citi credit card customer service number? Or was it a reconsideration line (to speak with an analyst, even though you were already approved).

As for the debate, it strikes me as unusual to let threads grow to hundreds or thousands of posts and constantly consolidate new, similar threads into mega-threads. Perhaps not so bad if every mega-thread has a Guaranteed Updated post #1. Do moderators commit to this for consolidated threads? If so, then it seems reasonable to ask folks to read the first post and perhaps skim the last 5 pages of new ones.

At the other extreme, I've seen sites as a matter of policy close new posts very shortly (within days) after being created once a question is answered versus keeping threads open for years. Huge difference in moderating philosophies.

Might be interesting to trim the mega-threads and link to the out of date archived versions of them(for those interested in historical, perishable info older than X months/years). Some sort of rolling thread. Leaving an updated Post #1, and not many dozens, or hundreds, of pages of posts to wade through. Just a thought. Not sure how feasible it would be to implement.

Anyway, as a FT guest and beneficiary of its collective wisdom, it's hard to complain too much or too stridently about how things are done. I'm hugely grateful for the help and content available here, even if I do find mega-posts intimidating. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.