Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:09 pm

@Fresar - yes, buying an AA gift card will get you the credit. Buy a real plastic one just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Happy
People, the language difference is a wishful thinking on our part - in reality it does NOT matter. Whether you get it or not, really largely depends on your LUCK - if you can get thru to Step 5 and get a friendly rep, you are golden. If you are stopped at Step 3, things would be much tougher because the app now is reviewed (if it is not auto-rejected) by human at the desk with more time / attention versus via an online chat. And of course, whether the reviewer is going by the letter or more casual makes all the difference.
Understood on the langauge of APPROVAL and phone confirmation of bonuses, 100% in agreement there. BUT - do we yet have data of this translating through to PAYMENT of the bonuses? My understanding is that, in the post-2BM-era, we do not, particularly regarding the 1-plat-1-gold trick ("2BM V.2.1"). Did I not read on this thread or another of people getting approved for a given card, making it through the minimum spend, and then getting a letter a week before statement close saying that points would not be issued because cardholder was not a first time account holder? I am pretty new around here so anything I read had to be fairly recent - and I swear I didn't make that up!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I got a targeted Citi offer in the mail for the Gold AA card. It's the normal 30k, but it has an additional 10k miles if you spend $5k in the next year. Brings it to 40k, not bad for a secondary card.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Did I not read on this thread or another of people getting approved for a given card, making it through the minimum spend, and then getting a letter a week before statement close saying that points would not be issued because cardholder was not a first time account holder? I am pretty new around here so anything I read had to be fairly recent - and I swear I didn't make that up!!!
i think you're talking about chase. with chase approvals do not guarantee bonuses (amex too for that matter if you apply and are approved but dont meet the terms, ie have not had card in last 12 months). citi usually honors their promos if you're approved.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Did I not read on this thread or another of people getting approved for a given card, making it through the minimum spend, and then getting a letter a week before statement close saying that points would not be issued because cardholder was not a first time account holder?
I believe you were reading about Chase bank. They've done that in the past on some of their cards.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:50 pm

brownie20, ddallas, thank you for the clarifications.

I am currently for my own records keeping a spreadsheet with all of this "common knowledge" - who pays bonuses, churnability, max # of personal apps in a time frame, etc. - by company. I would imagine that given the industrious nature of FT posters, surely I am not the first to think of this idea. Has anyone posted a working document of this sort anywhere? It would not surprise me if there was something on this site that I hadn't seen...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:01 pm

I applied on 2/18 for the Visa 50K after $3K spend in 4 months. I activated the card today and confirmed the bonus, statement, and club passes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:41 pm

Anyone waiting for 75,000 miles?

Anyone know if this year there will be a 75,000 mile bonus anytime soon?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DALKOR13
Anyone know if this year there will be a 75,000 mile bonus anytime soon?
If we knew there was a bonus coming up with 50% more miles, do you think people would be applying to the existing ones?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:58 pm

Have an active Citi AA Visa from Aug '11.

Just applied and approved for the Citi AA AmEx.

Also applied for the Citi AA Biz but the initial representative denied the app and told me to 'wait for the letter by mail'. Called again and a nicer rep actually looked into the whole issue and said there is a problem with an account I closed a few years back. She couldn't see any 'Notes' for the closed account (to determine why it was closed) and I explained I voluntarily closed it myself; but apparently they have to verify the reason for which that account was closed before approving me (at least the application has gone back into Pending from Denied!).

Is this the norm for Citi Biz apps? Quite a strict criteria. I have a nearly 2-decade-long standing history with Citi, and didn't really expect the interrogation, partly because I'm yet to have an issue being approved by Citi for the few cards that I do have with them.

Hoping for the best after they are finished re-reviewing! This will be a nice 100k AA run if all works out.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:05 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Has it been determined, or is there a consensus, that applying for the Signature (50K) and the Gold (30K) within a short period ( several minutes) will result in: a. one hard pull, b. two hard pulls, or c. YMMV?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ned
Has it been determined, or is there a consensus, that applying for the Signature (50K) and the Gold (30K) within a short period ( several minutes) will result in: a. one hard pull, b. two hard pulls, or c. YMMV?
I think I remember a couple posters reported that the pulls merged into one, but that's just if they only pull one bureau. I think someone else reported that Citi pulled two different bureaus. People have only been applying for these two cards together for the last two weeks so it shouldn't take much time to scroll back and look what's been posted about pulls.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:23 am

Hello all, I posted here a few times in the last month and I'm back to update my story. For those who don't recall, I applied and was instantly approved for TWO 50k Visas after $2,500 spend in 4 months on January 20 (which seems to be right before they stopped doing the 2 browser). My cards arrived and were activated (as well as bonuses confirmed) on Jan 24.

Since I had a cruise to pay off as well as airline tickets and so forth, I met the minimum spend on both cards within days, the 29th in fact was when the second card spend was met. Both cards had the same closing date, which turned out to be an issue. On February 10 after my first statement, 50,000 miles appeared in my AA account. Only ONE bonus, mind you, not both. Yet, I got the card spends for both cards credited as miles so I knew both cards had been reported by Citi.

Operating under the assumption that Citi reported both bonuses (this was after the statements stopped showing any bonuses, even when they are reported), I wrote a nice and detailed email explaining the situation to AAdvantage Customer Service. I told them Citi had confirmed both bonuses, which was entirely true, and that I believe a simple computer error occurred on AA's end due to two 50k bonuses being reported on the same day, thus looking like an accidental duplicate posting.

I got no response for days, over a week, then last Thursday I opened up my email and saw a very kind, understanding response where the responder agreed that the computer error was the problem and he sent along a message to another department to get it fixed. He said it would take up to three business days.

Well, too late to make a long story short, but I just checked my AAdvantage account and the other 50k bonus has arrived! So in summary, despite a few hiccups, I applied for the two 50k Visas on January 20 and I already have 100,000 bonus miles in my account on February 26. Not too shabby!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by ned
I applied for the 2 card for my mum and dad and in both cases, got ONE pull on Experian.
So, I think in the MAJORITY of cases, they are being combined.

What's more, earlier on when I did my AOR (and not knowing that the 2 browser thing was dead), I tried to get the Visa and Amex. Got shot down for the Amex...but only got ONE pull.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
I applied for the 2 card for my mum and dad and in both cases, got ONE pull on Experian.
So, I think in the MAJORITY of cases, they are being combined.

What's more, earlier on when I did my AOR (and not knowing that the 2 browser thing was dead), I tried to get the Visa and Amex. Got shot down for the Amex...but only got ONE pull.
Only one pull because the second app didn't get that far, probably. Citi shut it down as soon as it saw the duplicate.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Only one pull because the second app didn't get that far, probably. Citi shut it down as soon as it saw the duplicate.
No...they actually considered the Amex app. I tried for 2 days to get a supervisor to approve it and they looked at it again and again.

So I don't think it's because it was shut down...I just think CITI is good when it comes to inquiries being combined.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.