Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:35 pm

If one has applied for the offer that will credit you only $1 for every $1 you spend on American Airlines products up to $150, apart from sandwiches and drinks in flight, or in Admirals Club (assuming you can gain entry), what other purchases would qualify?

I see the list of exclusions here, but not so many approved purchases.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wheelsup57
If one has applied for the offer that will credit you only $1 for every $1 you spend on American Airlines products up to $150, apart from sandwiches and drinks in flight, or in Admirals Club (assuming you can gain entry), what other purchases would qualify?

I see the list of exclusions here, but not so many approved purchases.
Try read back a few pages and see what people do?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:03 am

I was expecting to see the $100 applied after first purchase (like it did for the UA card), but haven't so far, so I guess I have to spend it somehow on American; gift card, taxes on a ticket, etc. Oh, great! How long do we have to do this?

I did see something on my Citi site in my AA card area that mentioned those Admiral passes come every year. I haven't received any yet, but it's only been 2 weeks. The agent I talked with (who shifted the credit around) mentioned the 50,000 miles and the $3K spend, but I didn't want to push any buttons, as I'm really in it for the miles, so didn't ask. But I'll take whatever I get.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lbotez
I was expecting to see the $100 applied after first purchase (like it did for the UA card), but haven't so far, so I guess I have to spend it somehow on American; gift card, taxes on a ticket, etc. Oh, great! How long do we have to do this?

I did see something on my Citi site in my AA card area that mentioned those Admiral passes come every year. I haven't received any yet, but it's only been 2 weeks. The agent I talked with (who shifted the credit around) mentioned the 50,000 miles and the $3K spend, but I didn't want to push any buttons, as I'm really in it for the miles, so didn't ask. But I'll take whatever I get.
As far as I know, you have as long as you want to make the spend. Since I always cancel before my annual fee is due, I can't for certain say it's as long as you want, but I have gotten the credit at the 10 month mark before.

I've not seen any indication of new passes each year in my account (business nor personal), but I know that any I've ever gotten had an expiry date of 12/31/12. Not so great now, but of course the links I've used are way past the advertised offer end date so I'll take what I can.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Need some help here -

Question - Does the date of the last business card application impact the "18-24 month" counter while attempting a second round of personal cards? To elaborate, it has been about 24 months since the last personal card approval, but only 12 months since the last business card approval.

Based on my understanding from reading all the posts, the business card approval does not have any impact on the personal card apps, and therefore the counter is 24 mos in this case, but would like to get it confirmed by more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by AsanteSana
Need some help here -

Question - Does the date of the last business card application impact the "18-24 month" counter while attempting a second round of personal cards?
No -- but it most definitely counts toward the "2 Citi apps (of any kind) in any 60-ish-day period" limit. The 18-to-24-month restriction relates only to personal cards.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by beltway
No -- but it most definitely counts toward the "2 Citi apps (of any kind) in any 60-ish-day period" limit. The 18-to-24-month restriction relates only to personal cards.
Thank you very much!

Also, based on my understanding, having the personal card currently too should likely not have an impact, as long as it has been a while since it was first obtained. Correct?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCAGUY
Thanks for the data point. Which link did you use for AC club passes, business Visa or personal Visa or Amex?

All I have received so far is nonsense answers from CSRs regarding club passes for personal Visa and Amex, e.g., "Call AA to find out status of club passes, you won't receive them until renewal, I don't see them in the offer...."

I will wait the seven weeks or so before following up.
I used the personal card MMS links with the $150 statement credit and 2 AC passes. I would just wait it out as you said, they'll eventually just show up. Although, for my US Airways card, the welcome materials (club pass, companion cert, etc.) came within 2 weeks.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:09 pm

Declined for Business card

I applied for the personal cards 2 months ago and was approved (after waiting around 19 months from the first time). I applied for the business card yesterday and was turned down because I've had the card before. The rep said I had opened a biz card in 2010, closed last year.

This seems to go against the idea that the biz card can be churned more frequently. Are others running into this?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jamesfl
I applied for the personal cards 2 months ago and was approved (after waiting around 19 months from the first time). I applied for the business card yesterday and was turned down because I've had the card before. The rep said I had opened a biz card in 2010, closed last year.

This seems to go against the idea that the biz card can be churned more frequently. Are others running into this?
Sorry to hear that. Maybe things are changing? My schedule is similar to yours and I am about to start biz application. How many days exactly between your personal and biz card applications and are you sure both of your biz accounts for your card are closed? Also anyone here has recently churned biz card successfully?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Sorry to hear that. Maybe things are changing? My schedule is similar to yours and I am about to start biz application. How many days exactly between your personal and biz card applications and are you sure both of your biz accounts for your card are closed? Also anyone here has recently churned biz card successfully?
It was 68 days from Personal app to biz app. The original biz card is closed.

I wonder maybe since it was not automatically approved part of the review process now includes looking for previous cards. Just guessing.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by jamesfl

Not sure how things are changing:

Relative 1 applied for a personal card after 14 months from last application, and was approved.

Relative 2 applied for two personal cards after 18 months from last application, and was denied based on having a card before.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
It does.
Is this special based on the links in the first post? B/c currently, Platinum Select DOES earn 2x miles for AA purchases, but the AMEX only gets 1:1 according to the website. Again, that is for the *current* offer, but is the linked one special that gets 2:1 for the AMEX?

Edit: also, how do I know that what I'm signing up for with those links is different than what I'd be signing up for if I just navigated through the AA or Citi website?

Last edited by pritomd; Jul 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:46 pm

Here is one more data point -

Just completed applying for the personal Visa and Amex for the Mrs. Back in 07/2010, Amex was approved but Visa was denied. Mrs. continues to hold the Amex card after getting the annual fee refunded. In 08/2011, applied for Visa business and was approved.

Today, Amex was approved instantly. Visa was approved after a chat session.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I'd also like to add a data point.

Applied for personal Visa and AMEX from the OP. Both were not instantly approved, but weren't rejected either. I am receiving a letter in a week requesting I send a copy of a bank statement, credit card bill, utility bill, etc, that has my address. Visa was via chat, AMEX was on phone. Turns out it's because my address is new (moved in within the last 6 months), and they just need to verify my address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.