Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Offer still active? Noticed mixed reports

Long time listener first time caller... noticed from reading this thread (no, I did not read all 50 pages) that recently, dagaetch was declined for Visa due to the offer having expired, while snugglening was approved for both Amex and Visa on May 4th (even after April 30th expiry). I guess I am asking for opinions: I would like to apply for both Amex and Visa at the same time to get both 50K bonuses -- I can either:
(1) try my luck with the 2 x 50K bonus links in this thread at the same time, hoping to get 100K bonus but risking getting only 50K bonus if I am accepted for only 1 card (nothing lost if I get denied for both I assume); or
(2) apply for Platinum Select Advantage World MasterCard 40K bonus + the Amex 30K bonus via regular web site links at the same time (70K total); or
(3) wait to see what comes next; meaning worst case presumably is 2 x 30K if nothing better comes along.
I have a flight with AA coming up at the end of June, and will likely only be flying United before then, so there is no real hurry here... I am hoping to get to 150,000 AA miles by September of this year to book an August 2013 trip to Europe [3 px 1-way business] and I will also have my wife apply for the 2 cards. Neither of us have ever had a Citi credit card before.
Suggestions?
Old May 5, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by bdben
Long time listener first time caller... noticed from reading this thread (no, I did not read all 50 pages) that recently, dagaetch was declined for Visa due to the offer having expired, while snugglening was approved for both Amex and Visa on May 4th (even after April 30th expiry). I guess I am asking for opinions: I would like to apply for both Amex and Visa at the same time to get both 50K bonuses -- I can either:
(1) try my luck with the 2 x 50K bonus links in this thread at the same time, hoping to get 100K bonus but risking getting only 50K bonus if I am accepted for only 1 card (nothing lost if I get denied for both I assume); or
(2) apply for Platinum Select Advantage World MasterCard 40K bonus + the Amex 30K bonus via regular web site links at the same time (70K total); or
(3) wait to see what comes next; meaning worst case presumably is 2 x 30K if nothing better comes along.
I have a flight with AA coming up at the end of June, and will likely only be flying United before then, so there is no real hurry here... I am hoping to get to 150,000 AA miles by September of this year to book an August 2013 trip to Europe [3 px 1-way business] and I will also have my wife apply for the 2 cards. Neither of us have ever had a Citi credit card before.
Suggestions?
I did option 2 on the first page. I believe the links I use do not have a landing pagebut many people said they have worked and I can also confirm that. I applied for my dad using the two browser trick. IMHO I would go with the two browser trick depending on how strong your credit scores might be with Citi. I just turned 31 but I have had my Citicard with them since for 15yrs. I did have to move some credit around ,but they gave me another 3k on each card. Also both reps saw that I applied for 2 cards whether or not they know it is Citi AA cards, I do not know.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by snugglening
I did option 2 on the first page. I believe the links I use do not have a landing pagebut many people said they have worked and I can also confirm that. I applied for my dad using the two browser trick. IMHO I would go with the two browser trick depending on how strong your credit scores might be with Citi. I just turned 31 but I have had my Citicard with them since for 15yrs. I did have to move some credit around ,but they gave me another 3k on each card. Also both reps saw that I applied for 2 cards whether or not they know it is Citi AA cards, I do not know.
Do the Visa and Amex cards have the 1st checked bag free and priority boarding benefit? Or is that the Citi AA MasterCard only? Probably worth the 10K bonus sacrifice to get that benefit I would think... maybe do the Amex and MC then? (or Visa and MC I suppose).
Old May 6, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bdben
Do the Visa and Amex cards have the 1st checked bag free and priority boarding benefit? Or is that the Citi AA MasterCard only? Probably worth the 10K bonus sacrifice to get that benefit I would think... maybe do the Amex and MC then? (or Visa and MC I suppose).
All of the new cards, be it Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard feature first checked bag free and priority boarding.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by glu800
I recently signed up for the AA business visa using the "$150 credit, 50k miles (40k for $2k + 10k after $5k), 2 miles/$ on AA" offer. I would have used the 50k miles for $3k offer instead, except that link wasn't working when I applied.

Anyway, I called up Citibank to confirm my bonus offer today, and she said I would get 40k miles after spending $2k within 4 months, which was correct. But then she said that I would have to spend an additional $5k within 12 months in order to get the last 10k miles (meaning I would have to spend $7k total to get all 50k). I checked the offer page again, and it still sounds to me like the original $2k is included in the $5k spend requirement.

Has anyone applied with this offer and can confirm for me exactly what the terms are?? While $7k is fine in 12 months, I'd much prefer to just spend $5k.

Thanks for any help.
Assuming this offer is still valid (it did expire on 4/30, and there is at least one report of someone being rejected in early May), did anyone find out how it works? Is it $5K or $7K total in 12 months for the full 40K+10K bonus?
Old May 6, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by honu
Assuming this offer is still valid (it did expire on 4/30, and there is at least one report of someone being rejected in early May), did anyone find out how it works? Is it $5K or $7K total in 12 months for the full 40K+10K bonus?
When I activated my card last week, the rep told me it was a total of $5k.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:03 pm

Was I the only person still using the 2nd option on the first page. I think 3k in 4 months for 50k is better than spending 7k for 50k miles and a few freebies, although checked bags for free is nice
Old May 7, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Was I the only person still using the 2nd option on the first page. I think 3k in 4 months for 50k is better than spending 7k for 50k miles and a few freebies, although checked bags for free is nice
I agree the 2nd option is better requiring a lower spend.

My dad and mom used the second option and were approved for both the Visa and Amex a week ago. They had previously applied about 19 months ago and had cancelled the cards last fall.

Upon activation the CSR confirmed all the bonus terms per the posting in the 2nd option.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:04 am

I used the 50k links

On May 4th I applied using the 50k links and was approved. Actually applied for my Wife also. So 4 apps 2 instantly approved, 2 required a chat or phone call where they asked questions about cell number and address and were then approved.

Also it had been 19 months since my last AA card churn.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:02 pm

i was approved for both via 40k miles after 2k spend in 4 months. I didn't see those offers posted anywhere in this thread
Old May 7, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jordancl
i was approved for both via 40k miles after 2k spend in 4 months. I didn't see those offers posted anywhere in this thread
Then please feel free to post them, never hurts to have more app links.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:07 pm

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...miles4&BT_TX=1

Got these of FTG's blog

You already know how great it is to earn AAdvantage® miles just for flying. But now is the best time to start earning AAdvantage® miles on purchases, too. Any eligible purchase you make gets you closer to your next trip.
Apply by 4/30/12, get the card, and enjoy:
Earn up to 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles1
Earn 40,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,000 within 4 months of cardmembership. Earn an additional 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 during the first 12 months of cardmembership. That's more than enough for a domestic round-trip flight award.10
Up to $100 in Statement Credits2
Receive $1 in statement credits for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases made within the first 12 months of cardmembership, up to a maximum of $100 in statement credits.2
2 Admirals Club® One-Day Passes after payment of the annual fee that is billed on your first anniversary3
You and a guest can check out the benefits of travelling in style, including free WiFi service, complimentary beverages and more, all in the comfort of a world-class lounge in over 40 locations worldwide.
NEW! There is no annual mileage cap!
There's no limit to the number of AAdvantage® miles you can earn by making purchases with the card.4
Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases5
You'll earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases within the first 12 months of cardmembership.4,5 After that, you'll continue to earn 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 you spend on purchases.4
Old May 7, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by dagaetch
I'm kind of annoyed. I applied for both cards on April 20, using the application that specifically said "valid until April 30", and the American Express was immediately approved. Just today I get a letter in the mail dated May 2, that says the offer for which I applied has expired. So they waited two weeks to review my Visa application, then denied me because the deadline had passed due to their delay? That doesn't quite seem fair.

Would I have any luck calling and asking to be reconsidered?
Just tried calling, got nowhere. the rep was polite but not offering an explanation - all she said "sometimes it takes us up to 10 business days to process the application", and ignored my argument that the application was valid when I applied. Bah. I'm probably not going to bother writing them, at this point I imagine I would be denied for 'prior cardholder' status since I got the amex card. Oh well, business card in a couple months perhaps.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:06 pm

Anyone had any luck still getting the 50,000 mile offer when applying after the April 30 deadline?
Old May 8, 2012, 12:07 am

The 40K + 10K offer expiring on 4/30 won't come up right now (not sure if it's dead or just resting). However, the expired 50K + companion voucher offer is still working. Does citi ever expedite these cards if one requests it? I couldn't find definite info about it in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.