Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
Well not that anyone is necessarily following my ordeal closely, but if are keeping score at home, I applied for the Citi Business Visa some time in April. I went back and forth with Citi about the documentation needed to verify the business -- first I sent them my business license, which was not good enough, then I sent a credit reference letter from JPMorgan, which was apparently also not good enough, and finally I sent them a bank statement. This did the trick, and I got approved, and the CSR verified 50k miles with $3000 spend in 4 months.

Better late than never, I suppose!
Congrats on winning the battle with Citi. They must be strictly going by the book as I would think a reference letter from JPMorgan would carry more weight than a bank statement... but the latter is listed as accepted doc while the former is not even on the list (but should serve the same purpose for anyone business that has common sense... )

Make sure you get a written confirmation from Citi (via SM) on the start date of the 4 months so you would not be caught by any surprise later.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Make sure you get a written confirmation from Citi (via SM) on the start date of the 4 months so you would not be caught by any surprise later.
Good point -- I'll do that now.

I got the card yesterday, but it shows that it is valid from "6/1/2012". I wonder if they will say that's the start date for the four months...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
Good point -- I'll do that now.

I got the card yesterday, but it shows that it is valid from "6/1/2012". I wonder if they will say that's the start date for the four months...
That is why you want to verify because if it is 6/1/12 - it is almost a month has gone by already - the 4 months become 3 months in essence...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:06 pm

I read the FAQ and did not see a clear answer to this question i had.

My sister apply for the Amex 75K point almost 9 months ago, she want to get another Citi AA bonus card. I told her to only apply for the business one only. But she apply for the wrong card and applied for the VISA citi AA card and of course they sent her a letter saying she is not a first time customers.

So Now I wanted to know if she needs to wait 60 days again before she can apply for the business card? or can she just apply for the Citti AA business card?

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stunt
I read the FAQ and did not see a clear answer to this question i had.

My sister apply for the Amex 75K point almost 9 months ago, she want to get another Citi AA bonus card. I told her to only apply for the business one only. But she apply for the wrong card and applied for the VISA citi AA card and of course they sent her a letter saying she is not a first time customers.

So Now I wanted to know if she needs to wait 60 days again before she can apply for the business card? or can she just apply for the Citti AA business card?

Thanks
General guideline is 2 citi apps total (business &/or personal) within any 60 day window is the max.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diclemeg
Originally Posted by Stoughton
No - this is the card you have. Not activating it would simply waste the bonus. As far as Citi is concerned, you've applied and been approved.
Is Citi known to allow a change of promotion before card activation? Maybe I can call them and say I prefer the other promo, otherwise I wont activate the card ??????
Sigh.....

No - this is the card you have. Not activating it would simply waste the bonus. As far as Citi is concerned, you've applied and been approved.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:57 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edotzaue
What I accidentally did was copy and paste the Visa url into the 2nd browser. I filled in her information for both applications and submitted them, inadvertently submitting 2 applications for the Visa card.
Don't worry too much. This isn't the suggested process because frequently the second app won't be accepted. However, generally, if you do get accepted, you'll get both bonuses.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:50 am

So I decided to sign up for an account here after reading this forum for a few months. Saved my family and I thousands of dollars by coming here Anyway, I signed up for business card back in April. Citi asked me to provide proof of my business. I didn't want to give them anything, so I told them to discontinue my application process. They told me I have a month-ish to to go back and re-process my application if I change my mind. I called them a week back and asked them to reprocess my application. I was told they would call me back in a few hours. An hour later, they called me and told me " congratulation, you're approved for..." I was surprised that they didn't ask me to provide proof of business again.

By the way, I will receive 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after $5000. Does that mean I have to spend total of $7000 to get 50k miles ? or total $5000 only? I asked citi, but it seemed they were not even sure. Sorry for my first long post.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi just wonder if anyone happened to get these personal cards the second time and still got a bonus. Do you have to cancel the first card first in order to get the second card approved or you can hold on to the old and they will just issue you a different card number? Thanks very much as I lasted applied for this card two years ago and would like to churn on this again. Have a great day
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi just wonder if anyone happened to get these personal cards the second time and still got a bonus. Do you have to cancel the first card first in order to get the second card approved or you can hold on to the old and they will just issue you a different card number? Thanks very much as I lasted applied for this card two years ago and would like to churn on this again. Have a great day
Please read Post No.1 where it has a link to the Post No.2 of a previous thread - where you will find all the answers to your questions, explicitly or implicitly.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:09 pm

applied 6/17 approved instantly (first citi credit card) both visa and amex. recieved in mail 6/23. confirmed sign-up bonus with customer service. 50k miles ($3000 in 4 months) just as stated in the OP. $100 statement credit if AA purchase within 12 months.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:51 pm

Applied for both personal cards, moved some credit lines around via chat, and approved for both with +3k to my total citi credit line.

Holding down two separate chat conversations simulatenously about nearly identical cards was a bit surreal, but got the 50k after 3k spend offer confirmed in both chats
Old Jun 24, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
retention bonuses

data points: i applied for, and received both the citi amex and visa last summer and got the 75k offers on each. i called and inquired about cancelling today, and here is the response i got:

amex: they offered to give me 3000 bonus points if i spend 500 within the next 60 days, but would not waive the annual fee.

visa: $85 statement credit to cancel out the annual fee, plus 1000 bonus miles every month for the next 16 months that i hit $1000 in spending.

i'm going to try to knock out the amex bonus in the next month and then still cancel before the annual fee comes due. the visa offer is tempting also and the effective rate of 2 AA points/dollar might make this my go to card for my first $1000 of spend every month.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Please read Post No.1 where it has a link to the Post No.2 of a previous thread - where you will find all the answers to your questions, explicitly or implicitly.
Thanks Happy, I read the post by it doesn't seem to mention whether the old cards should be cancelled before reapplying. It confirms that many did get approved again after waiting 18-24 months, therefore I was wonder what are people's experience, do you all cancel the old cards before reapplying or just hold and apply for another card? Thank you very much again
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
I've skimmed thru the thread, and have a few simple questions:

1. Is the link in post #1 still correct? I'm looking for the Visa 50K offer, but when I follow it to the application page it doesn't make any mention of bonus miles, etc....

2. if approved, how quickly can I expect the card to arrive in the mail?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.