Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by genotonda
Does anyone know if buying some chips on board would qualify as an AA billed charge, thereby triggering the $100 statement credit offered?

The T&C's don't specifically says that it doesn't, and if it did exclude it that would leave pretty much only airfare (copays and such inlcuded) abnd maybe baggage fees as the only available AA purchases.
When I was on an AA flight last week I tore off the 45K $100 statement credit offer page from AAmerican Way magazine. Upon reading the fine print, it does say the meal purchase onboard is qualified purchase. They exclude duty free purchase though.

Originally Posted by thehawk75
I'm 99.9% certain she/they have confused this 2 AC day passes bonus of the regular card with the AC membership benefit of the Executive card.

I will call back in a couple weeks to inquire about the passes again, hopefully by then the CSR's are a little more up to date. Or perhaps they'll just mail out the passes when the statement in which I hit my spending requirement for the miles closes -- which will happen in less than a couple of weeks for me.
I agree with you. They confuse the new offers with the Executive card.

The AC passes might be mailed out directly from AA and may take a while. AA occasionally sent out free passes to drum up business anyway. Both husband and me got a day pass with expiration date a while back just for us to try the club.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!
Originally Posted by teege
Question about the offer: do you get the AA lounge passes instantly? When you get your AA Citi card? Or how long does it take to receive them?
I applied for the better $150 statement offer on Oct 27 and just got the cards yesterday. I called the CSR line and the woman I spoke to said the AC vouchers will get mailed to me in about 4-5 weeks. We'll see if they show up. She too had to put me on hold for a few minutes to ask around but she seemed pretty sure about that.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA
First-time cardmember? Am I qualified?

Can anyone tell me if I'm qualified for the offer?
I applied for the VISA 75k offer last summer and now I'd like to apply for the AMEX to get 50k.
But on the application it states that "This CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card offer is valid only for first-time CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ cardmembers".

If I apply for the AAdvantage AMEX while I already have AAdvantage VISA, am I still considered as a first-time cardmember?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by akikoakiko
If I apply for the AAdvantage AMEX while I already have AAdvantage VISA, am I still considered as a first-time cardmember?
Probably not. You most likely will have to wait about 18 months from your Visa application. (You're getting close, and as this is not a firm rule, it might work out.) See the expired 75k AA thread for details on history.

You would probably be approved for a business Visa card tho.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I got burned on the 75K biz offer (called out for no documentation of sole proprietorship). How are you guys getting so lucky to not have to provide docs?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by zsurf
I got burned on the 75K biz offer (called out for no documentation of sole proprietorship). How are you guys getting so lucky to not have to provide docs?
Utility bill and any other bill showing proof of residence should suffice. You might be able to get a business checking at local banks too depending on the requirements
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by zsurf
I applied for the 50k offer yesterday and got an approval email today without providing anything. Also applied for the 75k offer last year and didn't have to provide any docs.

Could be based on overall credit, info provided on the application, and/or past relationship with Citi? I've had 4 or 5 prior Citi Biz cards. One as a sole prop and a few with a corporate name & EIN (all were closed before the 2 most recent apps). I don't think I was ever asked to provide any documentation.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Probably not. You most likely will have to wait about 18 months from your Visa application. (You're getting close, and as this is not a firm rule, it might work out.) See the expired 75k AA thread for details on history.

You would probably be approved for a business Visa card tho.
Thanks for your reply. It's already 15 months after my VISA application. To play safe, I'll wait few more months to apply for the AMEX card. Hopefully, Citi is going to extend their bonus offer.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by akikoakiko
Thanks for your reply. It's already 15 months after my VISA application. To play safe, I'll wait few more months to apply for the AMEX card. Hopefully, Citi is going to extend their bonus offer.
My last successful AAdvantage VISA application was 13 months after my previously successful AAdvantage VISA application.

I now have 2 AAdvantage VISAs (i.e. didn't quit the old one prior to applying for the newer one)

So... YMMV. If you can afford the inquiry (i.e. you aren't a habitual churner who has to keep closely monitor this), then no harm in trying. If it doesn't work out, 60 days hence will be 17 months, and you can try again then (or wait 90 days and make it 18 months).

Of course, if you're going to apply for the VISA. Make sure you also apply for the AMEX as well, and on the same day so the two inquiries merge into one (you don't increase your risk -- if both denied for 'you are not a first time card member', your cost is still only one inquiry, but, your potential reward is now doubled).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
My last successful AAdvantage VISA application was 13 months after my previously successful AAdvantage VISA application.

I now have 2 AAdvantage VISAs (i.e. didn't quit the old one prior to applying for the newer one)

So... YMMV. If you can afford the inquiry (i.e. you aren't a habitual churner who has to keep closely monitor this), then no harm in trying. If it doesn't work out, 60 days hence will be 17 months, and you can try again then (or wait 90 days and make it 18 months).

Of course, if you're going to apply for the VISA. Make sure you also apply for the AMEX as well, and on the same day so the two inquiries merge into one (you don't increase your risk -- if both denied for 'you are not a first time card member', your cost is still only one inquiry, but, your potential reward is now doubled).
That's such a great advice. Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:16 pm

Tried my 3rd business AA card (did the first 2 with 75K) but got the "further processing is required" line... *crosses fingers*. Did it after canceling and waiting 91+ days from my last approval.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: AA UA CO USair
Would buying an AA gift card from the AA site qualify for the 150 statement credit?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by AAsuited
Would buying an AA gift card from the AA site qualify for the 150 statement credit?
The T/C excludes car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines VacationSM packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles, duty-free purchases, and AA CargoSM products and services but does not mention anything about the gift cards. So it might work. Please try and let us know.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Smidget
Tried my 3rd business AA card (did the first 2 with 75K) but got the "further processing is required" line... *crosses fingers*. Did it after canceling and waiting 91+ days from my last approval.
Well got denied: "Too many recent credit inquiries were recorded on your credit report."

I have been applying for a bunch of recent credit cards... so... completely understandable (6/21 Chase Sapphire, 7/30 AMEX SPG Business, 8/1 Citi AA Business, 8/19 AMEX SPG Personal which were all approved). Oh well!

Reading about the reconsideration line for Citi seems like any fight is futile.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Smidget
Well got denied: "Too many recent credit inquiries were recorded on your credit report."

I have been applying for a bunch of recent credit cards... so... completely understandable (6/21 Chase Sapphire, 7/30 AMEX SPG Business, 8/1 Citi AA Business, 8/19 AMEX SPG Personal which were all approved). Oh well!

Reading about the reconsideration line for Citi seems like any fight is futile.
My experience with Citi new application department has been good so far. You may want to give it a try and explain your situation. here are the #s

Consumer Cards: 888-201-4523 (7AM-7PM Central, Mon to Fri)
CitiBusiness Cards: 800-288-4653 8:00AM-8:00PM EST

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.