Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:30 pm

Another data point...2 AC passes arrived yesterday for a 2/23 app date.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:58 pm

New 60-day rule at Citi?

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Wife applied and got the AA Plat Visa (50k miles) 2/27/13. ...

On 4/18/13, we both applied for Citi AA Gold MC and got pending review. Mine got approved, but hers was rejected with the explanation "You have submitted multiple applications for credit."
Wife called credit dept and rep said on 2/27/13, she applied for AA Visa and AA Amex (two browser trick that didn't work) and also AA Gold MC. The AA Visa went through but the other two were rejected due to too many apps.

Rep said she had too many apps in a 60-day period and that the 4/18/13 AA Gold MC didn't generate a credit pull.

Wife said now it's >60 days since 2/27, so shouldn't the app go through? Rep said "you have to wait 60 days from latest app on 4/18." This was very clear, so it seems the rule is now just one app per 60 days?

If 2 apps per 60 days were the limit, then she could apply again right now since the 2/27 apps have "expired" and only the 4/18 app is within 60 days from 2/27.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:47 pm

I think most of us assume that Citi will be retained by the "New American" as their sole credit card provider. Here is an interesting article that suggests maybe not...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...dit-cards.html
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:13 pm

My wife applied for two cards 2/24 and got the second but the first was rejected for too-many apps after she called a few days later. Applied for 30K AA MC on 4/26, approved on chat. Applied for 50K HH on 4/27, got an application ID but when you look at the online status it says to call. Instead waited and got a call today, moved credit around, approved.

My best guess is that two apps in a day will likely fail but two a day apart can succeed as long as you don't preemptively call. More than two apps in 60+ days will also likely fail consistently.

Wife called credit dept and rep said on 2/27/13, she applied for AA Visa and AA Amex (two browser trick that didn't work) and also AA Gold MC. The AA Visa went through but the other two were rejected due to too many apps.

Rep said she had too many apps in a 60-day period and that the 4/18/13 AA Gold MC didn't generate a credit pull.

Wife said now it's >60 days since 2/27, so shouldn't the app go through? Rep said "you have to wait 60 days from latest app on 4/18." This was very clear, so it seems the rule is now just one app per 60 days?

If 2 apps per 60 days were the limit, then she could apply again right now since the 2/27 apps have "expired" and only the 4/18 app is within 60 days from 2/27.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5
I think most of us assume that Citi will be retained by the "New American" as their sole credit card provider. Here is an interesting article that suggests maybe not...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...dit-cards.html
From reading the article it sounds like they could have both banks which could be good.

It's hard to imagine Citi leaving considering they've been with AA forever. Is the Barclay's relationship with US relatively new? I thought they previously dealt with BOA.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When do they expire?
Originally Posted by asdf1223
End of the year.
My personal experience (not enough data points to be certain of the switchover timing!) is that AC passes mailed in the first half of the year are likely to expire at the end of that year, while AC passes mailed in the second half of the year are more likely to not expire until the end of the following year. (I had one set of passes mailed to me about half a year later than the other, even though both cards whose offers included AC passes had been applied for at the same time.)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
From reading the article it sounds like they could have both banks which could be good.

It's hard to imagine Citi leaving considering they've been with AA forever. Is the Barclay's relationship with US relatively new? I thought they previously dealt with BOA.
If I recall correctly, US had both banks at the same time for some time of overlap, no?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by hnf8705
I am curious about the possibility of me being able to activate my second card:

I applied for the Personal Visa Platinum via #1 in the OP in March and was approved after a few days on March 11th when address verification went through. I asked to have my card expedited and I was told to call back in 2 days to allow processing. I called back and was told the card was already shipped out but that they could "cancel" that one and send out a new one overnight.

I never tried activating it since i was told it was cancelled. Does anyone know if there is any chance I could activate it and have 2 of the exact same card and still earn the 50k miles, passes, and statement credits or is it completely impossible to have 2 of the same exact card?

One reason im asking is that although the 2nd card that I DID activate is a Platinum, the info that came with it was for a CITI GOLD LEVEL card. The card definitely says Platinum right on it though and the Platinum benefits have been confirmed.

I'm guessing this was deemed a ridiculous question so nobody responded? I know i'm new, but just thought maybe they have something wrong in their system since I'm receiving the wrong info for my card. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with that happening so I know if I can take advantage of this situation.

OR, can it hurt me at all to try activating it? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by hnf8705
I'm guessing this was deemed a ridiculous question so nobody responded? I know i'm new, but just thought maybe they have something wrong in their system since I'm receiving the wrong info for my card. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with that happening so I know if I can take advantage of this situation.

OR, can it hurt me at all to try activating it? Thanks in advance.
Nothing is impossible, and as long as the cards have different numbers, I'd call and try to activate it. If it goes through and you got 2 accounts of the same type due to a glitch in their system (totally possible), then congrats! If a CSR comes on and says this card was cancelled, play dumb (easy for me) and move on. I don't think there's any downside to trying.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by businessmachine
I used the second link. Was not approved yet but once I get approved (hopefully), I'll confirm for you
Were you ever approved or still working on it? I'm thinking of using the same link you did. But only saw one person who confirmed approval.. Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Nothing is impossible, and as long as the cards have different numbers, I'd call and try to activate it. If it goes through and you got 2 accounts of the same type due to a glitch in their system (totally possible), then congrats! If a CSR comes on and says this card was cancelled, play dumb (easy for me) and move on. I don't think there's any downside to trying.
Thanks for the advice.. I don't have the card with me at the moment but I will try tomorrow and then update. Thanks again!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
"US Airways’ loyalty credit card has been handled by Barclays since 2006, while American’s has been issued by Citigroup for 26 years."

As stated by the article.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K
question: Is buying an codeshare AA flight (AA # but operated by AS) via aa.com an eligible purchase to get the statement credit?
Old May 1, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
My personal experience (not enough data points to be certain of the switchover timing!) is that AC passes mailed in the first half of the year are likely to expire at the end of that year, while AC passes mailed in the second half of the year are more likely to not expire until the end of the following year. (I had one set of passes mailed to me about half a year later than the other, even though both cards whose offers included AC passes had been applied for at the same time.)
Do you know anyone that has asked Citi to possibly reissue passes that are going to expire and will not be used? The reason I ask is because I plan on not taking my eurotrip until next summer but more than likely my AC passes will be shipped out soon (if they havent already) and I will not be flying american before the end of the year.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:17 am

It seems like most of you all are going for the other option, but fwiw i got approved yesterday for 50k/2500 spending in the first 4 months so the link is still working well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.