Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jz48
Apparently you are not following the conversation. He tried many times to buy a Virtual AA gift card but each time AA declined the transaction (it didn't even reach citi as pending), he even called AA to place the order on the phone and was told there was a security block (by AA) on the card and there is nothing they can do... thus he tried to buy a AA voucher at the AA counter.......

Same thing happened to me, anyone also had the same issue with AA blocking the purchase of Virtual gift card, how did you get away with that?
He has 12 months to take care of the eligible purchase. If he does this even 3 months ago, he might have found other options or why his card is being blocked by AA.

My point is, why wait till the last month to do this when you have a full year to take care of that?!

Besides, AA never sells any "voucher". The only thing that can purchase at the airport counter is the "sticker" - the 500 miles upgrade instrument.

If he takes the trouble to go all the way to the airport, he may just be creative and watch for passengers who need to check bag, and offer to pay the check bag fee with his card, in return give a $5 to $10 "discount" for the cash payback by the passenger - I bet you he would have taker and his problem solved.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by pkoo
1. I thought AC passes were given upon approval? I called today because I haven't received mine in 3 months and they said it's on anniversary.

2. I currently have 2 personals from Jan app. Can I apply for 2 personals again in 18 months after the first app date or 18 months after closing the account? I'm a bit confused about this little detail.

3. Can I apply for the business cards right now or do I have to wait 18 months?
I would also like to know the answer to #2.

I think the answer to #3 is 65+ days from personal application. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by coolguy100
I just applied using the 2nd link. got this:

Your application is pending further review and we need additional information from you. Please call 1-866-606-2961 now to receive an immediate decision. Agents are available now to quickly complete the processing of your application.

so I called and got the card approved over the phone within several minutes.
I also confirmed with the CSR 50k for 2k spending and $50 credit for any AA purchase.

it seems the best biz offer--- 50k for 3k spending, 2 passes and $150 credit for any AA purchase is dead. I did a lot search and didn't find any active link.

I also applied for the business card link #2. But during the application process, at the very last step, it asked me to create an online login ID. I couldn't use my old business login ID because it is no longer available. After created a new one, it gave me this pending message:

Your application is pending further review and we need additional information from you. Please call 1-866-606-2961 now to receive an immediate decision. Agents are available now to quickly complete the processing of your application.

None of my previous applications ever asked me to create a login ID. At least, not until after I received the card in the mail. Not a big deal, but I just thought that it was strange an login ID was required before they even approved/denied my application.
Does this happened to anyone else?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by jz48
Apparently you are not following the conversation. He tried many times to buy a Virtual AA gift card but each time AA declined the transaction (it didn't even reach citi as pending), he even called AA to place the order on the phone and was told there was a security block (by AA) on the card and there is nothing they can do... thus he tried to buy a AA voucher at the AA counter.......

Same thing happened to me, anyone also had the same issue with AA blocking the purchase of Virtual gift card, how did you get away with that?
thanks for coming to my defense! this whole process has been frustrating as no one from the fraud department will accept calls and the supervisors at the gift card department wont call me back (multiple messages left at this point ).

Originally Posted by Happy
He has 12 months to take care of the eligible purchase. If he does this even 3 months ago, he might have found other options or why his card is being blocked by AA.

My point is, why wait till the last month to do this when you have a full year to take care of that?!

Besides, AA never sells any "voucher". The only thing that can purchase at the airport counter is the "sticker" - the 500 miles upgrade instrument.

If he takes the trouble to go all the way to the airport, he may just be creative and watch for passengers who need to check bag, and offer to pay the check bag fee with his card, in return give a $5 to $10 "discount" for the cash payback by the passenger - I bet you he would have taker and his problem solved.
as usual you're absolutely right happy. i waited to the last minute because i kept trying to use up the credits with regular AA purchases (award taxes/change fees, etc) after multiple unsuccessful gift card attempts - and for some reason i was under the mistaken impression that they sold some type of gift card/voucher at the airport; clearly i was wrong. i have managed to use up several statement credits with those purchases and had this one card with a partial credit remaining. like you stated, at the airport they offered me 2 stickers at for $70 (which i apparently cant even use until i gain status with them ). i didnt make a special trip to the airport - i was on my way for a trip abroad so i stopped at the AA counter to try to purchase a voucher. mostly i'm just frustrated that no one at AA will even try to address this "fraud" issue which is clearly just limited to the gift card department as this same card has been used without problem with AA award taxes.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi
interesting... for #1, I was told by the CSR when I called in to confirm my bonus that it was supposed to be 6-8 weeks mailed out. It's been about 6 weeks for me now so I'll let you know if they show up in the mail.
I was approved for the platinum 50k AMEX with $150 statement credit and 2AC passes on $3k spend in 4 months. The approval date was 2/7, I met spend on roughly 3/25 and received the statement credit (bought an AA gift card) and 50k points.

But - my AC passes just arrived yesterday (4/24). So hang in there!!

It seems that one of the hard and fast rules of Citi still holds, at least in my case - whatever they promise, no matter how old or obsolete an offer, they will honor. It just might take some time!!!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I was approved for the platinum 50k AMEX with $150 statement credit and 2AC passes on $3k spend in 4 months. The approval date was 2/7, I met spend on roughly 3/25 and received the statement credit (bought an AA gift card) and 50k points.

It seems that one of the hard and fast rules of Citi still holds, at least in my case - whatever they promise, no matter how old or obsolete an offer, they will honor. It just might take some time!!!
Thanks for the update. I just met the minimum spend on that offer a week or two ago. I'd really like to have the AC passes for a trip in June (6 hour layover in MIA), and I'll just assume that they'll show up by late May.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by arlflyer

Thanks for the update! I was just about to ask... I also applied for the AMEX (link on first page) and called the 1-800 line only recently to confirm the promotion. The guy on the phone wasn't very clear on the statement credit and didn't mention the AC passes...

Should I expect the AC passes 3 months AFTER fulfilling my spending requirements, or simply 3 months from my approval date?

Also, I want to note that I applied late March, but my card arrived more than 3 weeks later (close to 4 weeks after application date). When I called the 1-800 line, I was told that my 3-month clock to reach my spending limit was April X (the first week of April, near the time I received my card), and NOT the application/approval date, which gave me a slight relief.

I think someone should update the first page to reflect the AMEX benefits, which is slightly different from the VISA, but different than what is currently posted.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:50 am

In mid Jan 2013, I applied citi aa visa and amex at the same time and both of them were approved.

What cards should I apply now? Can I apply aa master gold (30K) or aa business visa at the same time? Or I can only apply one at a time?

Which offer is the best for business visa so far? I see #1 link is gone.

Thank you
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:00 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by Happy
3 months. I posted my data point yesterday. Got it in Jan and the passes not arrive before Mar 22. No idea when it actually arrived, because we were away on a 28 days trip between Mar 22 and Apr 18. it was in the mail pile I got. I have 2 cards, both get AC passes. So far only 1 has arrived after more than 3 months.

On previous round, it took similar time to see the AC passes.

It has absolutely no relationship to any other things you have on the card.
Per Happy's post quoted above, the arrival of AC passes have nothing to do with any other requirements on the card. I guess they just show up at some point3-4 months from approval.
Originally Posted by chunky649
Thanks for the update! I was just about to ask... I also applied for the AMEX (link on first page) and called the 1-800 line only recently to confirm the promotion. The guy on the phone wasn't very clear on the statement credit and didn't mention the AC passes...

Should I expect the AC passes 3 months AFTER fulfilling my spending requirements, or simply 3 months from my approval date?

Also, I want to note that I applied late March, but my card arrived more than 3 weeks later (close to 4 weeks after application date). When I called the 1-800 line, I was told that my 3-month clock to reach my spending limit was April X (the first week of April, near the time I received my card), and NOT the application/approval date, which gave me a slight relief.

I think someone should update the first page to reflect the AMEX benefits, which is slightly different from the VISA, but different than what is currently posted.
I would not trust the start of your clock as April X mentioned over a phone call. If it is in writing, that's another story. AFAIK, it has always been application date or approval date, not some later date. I always assume the worst case (app date) for minimum spend just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:57 am

I have the Citi AA Visa/Amex already from the 75k deal a couple years ago. I want to apply for business Visa now using link 3. Anyone see any problems with that? The only reason I'm worried is I have 4 total citi personal cards: preferred, premier, aa visa and aa amex.

Should be ok to apply? Also can I apply at the same time for the AA MC 30k offer that I've seen mentioned? I'm seeing mixed results that the two browser trick is/isn't working? Anyone tried it lately or should I just apply for one, wait 90 days and then apply for the other?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by aarif1
Datapoint: I applied for the Visa (50k after $2500 spend, Link #2 in OP) after doing the two browser method about 18.5 months ago; my original Visa is still open, Amex cancelled. I was approved by chat after moving some credit around.

I think I will apply for either the business card or the Gold MC tomorrow.
I applied for the business card today and was instantly approved, with a good sized credit limit.

This is my first business card with Citibank, and I have 5 personal cards with them, including the personal AA visa I was approved for yesterday.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:19 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
if you are new or have not received a card in 18+ months, should be able to get the visa or amex 50k, a few days later the 30k MC, and then in 60 days the business
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
if you are new or have not received a card in 18+ months, should be able to get the visa or amex 50k, a few days later the 30k MC, and then in 60 days the business
I haven't received a card in 18+ months but I already have the visa/amex. Can I sign up for business and 30k MC in the same day?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I haven't received a card in 18+ months but I already have the visa/amex. Can I sign up for business and 30k MC in the same day?
Regardless of what old cards you still have, you can get the Visa 50K today, the Gold MC 30K tomorrow, and the business 65+ days later. Although it's not necessarily exactly 18 months for everyone as you will see from earlier in this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:05 pm

but 18 months after closing the previous account or 18 months after the day of the app? Cause if it is the former, wouldnt it be better to close the account as soon as the bonus posts instead of keeping it until a month before applying again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.