Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA, HH
....about the 10k miles for every 5k spend in 6 months.....

2. This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account by November 30, 2011. The American Airlines AAdvantage® miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oneeye4u76
....about the 10k miles for every 5k spend in 6 months.....

2. This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account by November 30, 2011. The American Airlines AAdvantage® miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements.
The expiration date is a moot point. Citi doesn't really follow them, at all.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by iusb
in the description section, it says,
"Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership2"
so not sure if will be every $5000 or one time deal.
It also says in big letters "earn up to 45,000 AA bonus miles"... the landing page contradicts itself.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikec171
Interesting update here. I called the reconsideration line about my business application today. The rep confirmed my info and put my on hold with the comment that she will review everything and will give me an approval decision when she returns. She came back and said that unfortunately she would not be able to provide me a decision and that I'd be getting a letter in the mail requesting a copy of a utility or phone/cable bill with my business name on it. I'm starting a sole proprietorship and don't have the necessary evidence that they are requesting. Has anyone encountered this before?
Further update on this situation. I had sent in a copy of my verizon bill (in my name) back on 4/9 and finally got around to calling the phone number in the letter today. Explained that the business name I used was a DBA and it's a sole proprietorship so I simply don't have the information they are looking for but I'd be happy to re-apply with my name as the business name if that would make it easier for them. Got escalated to some senior decision maker guy and after about 15 minutes was approved! I also called and verified the 50k offer for my personal card. Thanks all for the input.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:39 pm

Wife and I both applied for the AA Gold MC withh 30k mi bonus for $750 spend. Both have an AA Plat Visa that we each got late Feb-early March this year with 50k bonus. Both got the dreaded pending further review message. Should I get the reconsideration # and call ASAP?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Wife and I both applied for the AA Gold MC withh 30k mi bonus for $750 spend. Both have an AA Plat Visa that we each got late Feb-early March this year with 50k bonus. Both got the dreaded pending further review message. Should I get the reconsideration # and call ASAP?
You're probably out of luck but calling won't hurt anything.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Based on my experience, you're probably fine. But I'd call to see if they want you to move credit around, confirm identity, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:34 am
jk2

Originally Posted by iusb
in the description section, it says,
"Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership2"
so not sure if will be every $5000 or one time deal.
Actually it says:

Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles for every $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:37 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jk2
Actually it says:

Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles for every $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership
Actually it says both. On the landing page it says "every $5000", in the description it says "after $5000".

Jeez-- classic ymmv example.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by pdrickey
I believe the actual account was closed as well, but not completely sure. I don't remember the exact message I received yesterday after I submitted the app, but I believe it said - pending - we need more information from you, please call XXX. I called the number and the rep confirmed my identity and business name, then put me on hold to review. She came back and said I have denied the application and you will receive a letter. I asked why the denial and she said that she looked at my previous card history with Citi and noted that I have had the card twice in the past and that this offer was for new card members only. She then when on to say - I see you closed the latest card in March of 2012, and the first card in February of 2011. I tried everything I could to get her to approve but she wouldn’t listen to any of it. Was a very rude angry woman

I hung up and called again and got a very nice girl who checked the status. She immediately said it was denied for having the card in the past- but said that she would put it through her system again to see what message it gave her. I was hopeful, but she then said - I am sorry, I cannot approve you because you are not a first time card holder.

I was pretty bummed as I have perfect credit - 800+ and have never been denied for a card in the past. Oh well - I guess my luck finally caught up with me. I’m wondering if it would have been approved if I didn’t call and just let it run through the system. I’ll try again in a few months and see what happens. Just wanted to give the warning that they might be cracking down on the business versions.
I agree. I had similar declined reason as you.
Maybe next time we should not call and let apps run through the system.
I remember there is a rule of waiting for more than 6 months after declined application. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:06 am

When to apply for the 30k MC?

So I just applied and was instantly approved for the Platinum Visa. Any idea when I should try for the 30K MC? Today's Friday so should it be on Monday or later next week is better? And do the consolidate the pulls into one since it's within a 30 day period?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by i_gtgo
So I just applied and was instantly approved for the Platinum Visa. Any idea when I should try for the 30K MC? Today's Friday so should it be on Monday or later next week is better? And do the consolidate the pulls into one since it's within a 30 day period?

Thanks.
The credit pulls are apparently not consolidated and they seem to be denying apps on the same day. So anytime Saturday or later should work. Let us know if you get instant appoval on the 30k MC as well. My wife and I both got pending last night after getting instant approval for the Plat 50k Visa late Feb-early March.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:31 pm

Was this a step 3 or step 5? Did they ask you to call? If you got to step 5 and it says this they may just want to confirm address and phone #. I've had that be the case for several Citi products.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I was just on the line with Citi to close my Aadvantage Platinum Select Signature VISA, and was told I could reapply "anytime"; that there was no requirement to wait 12-18+ months. I had that comment verified x 3 up the supervisory chain.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jetpuffed
I was just on the line with Citi to close my Aadvantage Platinum Select Signature VISA, and was told I could reapply "anytime"; that there was no requirement to wait 12-18+ months. I had that comment verified x 3 up the supervisory chain.
You can...but you won't necessarily get approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.