Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I got a targeted Citi offer in the mail for the Gold AA card. It's the normal 30k, but it has an additional 10k miles if you spend $5k in the next year. Brings it to 40k, not bad for a secondary card.
Received a similar offer for an AA Gold Visa, as well:

30k for $1000 in 3 months
10k for $5000 in 12 months
fee waved

Appologies if I've missed any data points pertaining to this particular situation already in the thread, but anyone have experience with combining an offer like this one with an AA Plat card (similar to the method of combining a Plat card with the Gold MC from 4820 which seems to be largely successful)?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Received a similar offer for an AA Gold Visa, as well:

30k for $1000 in 3 months
10k for $5000 in 12 months
fee waved

Appologies if I've missed any data points pertaining to this particular situation already in the thread, but anyone have experience with combining an offer like this one with an AA Plat card (similar to the method of combining a Plat card with the Gold MC from 4820 which seems to be largely successful)?
My husband received this offer, too. I think he's going to apply next week with post #1 Plat and the 40K offer in the mail. *cross fingers and hope he gets both*
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by zeddy218
This just happened to me as well. I'll try calling back in the morning to see if I can have this happen to me.
The word I was received is that my denial was due to the fact that it was not the first time I received the bonus, which is true. I last canceled the card about 4 months ago.

I've not noticed reports of this issue with the business card yet. Guess I'll have to wait until later in the year to try again. I've got a targeted email for the 35k business gold mc, which I'll have to try as a consolation prize.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:34 am

Submitted personal visa and then the personal amex application - only got approved for the first one. Same thing happened to the wife. Maybe they are cracking down on the two apps at the same time?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by prolight
Submitted personal visa and then the personal amex application - only got approved for the first one. Same thing happened to the wife. Maybe they are cracking down on the two apps at the same time?
If they were both Palinum Select cards, then yes.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Please see Post 5057 the latest success IkeEsq just had (a mere 3 posts above yours) - it does NOT matter as he used the link that has the language of 1st time customer only, ($750 spend) and got approved via chat - he still has 3 active AA personals, including a pair of Visa/Amex opened in Dec 2012.

Told you that it is splitting hair on the language - it does NOT matter. Whether you get approved or not, it is a highly YMMV situation as demonstrated by IkeEsq's going for the team to test the outer limit and SUCCEEDED!
It does very much matter to the question of whether you can replace 2x50k at a time once every 2 years with a 30k every few months. If it's really "new accounts only", the 30k should be self-churning.

You're just talking about successes with a one time every two years combo of a 50k and something else. That's nice, but as I pointed out in math earlier, 30k+30k+30k+30k+30k+30k is greater than 50k+30k. So I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do 30k+30k+30k+30k+30k+30k, while you seem to be oinly focused on one time (every 2 years) 50k+30k.

Do you not recall the era of 2x25k every 65+ days? That was when all the cards had "new accounts" language. It got killed (out to 2ish years) the moment they changed to "first-time cardholder" language. Now 2x has (mostly) gotten killed, and so if 1x30k every 65+ days is still possible, wouldn't that be worth figuring out?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:50 am

Hi, I have noticed , that at least here in Florida, CITI has been pulling both Experian
and Equifax on every single CITI app, me and my husband had in the last few years. I
am really debating, if this offer is worth 2 hard pulls. Any opinions? Additionally, I have had 4 hard pulls on Experian and 2 on Equifax in the last 6 months. Would I even have a chance at being approved? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 am

Just did a churn for wife and got approved for AA Citi Amex personal with 50K miles after 3K spend in 4 months. Not instant , had to call.
She had this (I think it was not the Amex version though) card from 07/2011 and was cancelled in 05/2012. So, its about 19 months after the last approval.

Simultaeneous app (2 seconds delayed) for the World master gold (3oK) got rejected due to multiple apps on same day.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:49 pm

I am doing exactly the same with same result. thinking about calling reconsideration line for master gold

Originally Posted by ftbargain
Just did a churn for wife and got approved for AA Citi Amex personal with 50K miles after 3K spend in 4 months. Not instant , had to call.
She had this (I think it was not the Amex version though) card from 07/2011 and was cancelled in 05/2012. So, its about 19 months after the last approval.

Simultaeneous app (2 seconds delayed) for the World master gold (3oK) got rejected due to multiple apps on same day.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by prolight
Did you do this using two browsers - one for each app? Reading the thread, some people seem to be using the same browser for both and others are not. Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by TWA44
Did you do this using two browsers - one for each app? Reading the thread, some people seem to be using the same browser for both and others are not. Thanks.
Will be interesting to see how this develops. Had a successful app for this pair earlier this week. Required phone confirmation for both, though. Wouldn't be surprising if they are getting out in front of this - though if they really cared that much, wouldn't the first order of business be to shut down these expired links people have been using successfully for literally years since they've supposedly run out??!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:47 pm

Admirals Club Passes

Hello fellow Citi AAdvantage card appliers. I've read through several pages of posts and cannot seem to find info on how to obtain the 2 Admirals Club passes. I confirmed with the Citi rep on the phone that the offer included these but she didn't have any info on the passes. Do they just show up in the mail? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:58 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
i think they should be mailed? another question regarding the $150 credit for AA purchase, will that come after statement close, immediately after the AA charge, or only after spending the entire requirement?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:04 pm

Just tried to get the CITI MC AA card for my husband - immediate approval. Then tried the CITI HHonors card and it said they can't do it at this time. Same answer on the Club Carlson Premier Visa.

I meant to use the two browser trick - tomorrow - just to be sure, and then got distracted when I made a decision to go for the expiring Avios offer today after all. In the rush to get it done today instead of tomorrow, I neglected to use the two browser trick. And then in the end I never pulled the trigger on the Avios offer. Just didn't seem in line with my goals. Which just says one more time - don't rush it!

Now I need to persuade him to call in....
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:36 pm

So no one has sucessfully to get both Citi Gold and Citi Platinum AA cards recently. Right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.