Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PinnacleJew
In my own opinion, the Amex version of #1 on the first post is still the best...

I agree that the Amex #1 is the best. applied for it last week, received the card a few days ago. I sent a secure message asking what the terms were and received back exactly what was listed here.... 50k, 2 AC passes, and $150 first aa credit.

really no reason to go with a lesser mileage offer when the 50k links keep working, landing page or no landing page.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
I agree that the Amex #1 is the best. applied for it last week, received the card a few days ago. I sent a secure message asking what the terms were and received back exactly what was listed here.... 50k, 2 AC passes, and $150 first aa credit.

really no reason to go with a lesser mileage offer when the 50k links keep working, landing page or no landing page.
Yep, no reason to go for any other.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:15 pm

30K Gold potentially churnable

OK, so in keeping with the spirit of exploring the outer limits, I just applied for the 30K Gold card from post #4820, deferred, step 5, chat window, choice of $2000 CL or move $11K from other cards, took the $2000. Approved.

$750 in 4 months for 30K AA Miles.

Currently have two Visa and one AmEx AA personal cards open, last Visa/AmEx received in December 2012.

Ike
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No go for Master Gold

Just applied for the AA Amex Platinum from the first post - approved.
Wait 5 minutes and applied for Master Gold - pending message at step 3
Called and talked to the rep and got decline due to multiple applications at one day. The rep won't budge to approve and claim it's American Airline policy to approve one card at one time..ugh.

I had an AA Amex 2 years ago and closed 2 month ago.

Last edited by thebluejean; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:05 am
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
OK, so in keeping with the spirit of exploring the outer limits, I just applied for the 30K Gold card from post #4820, deferred, step 5, chat window, choice of $2000 CL or move $11K from other cards, took the $2000. Approved.

Currently have two Visa and one AmEx AA personal cards open, last Visa/AmEx received in December 2012.

Ike
I think you can get personal aa, amex, and mc....

I checked online to see the citi cards that I may qualify for. https://www.accountonline.com/cards/...isInvitation=Y

I already have AA biz, Aa personal visa, and AA personal amex.

I get pre-approved for:
Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
specifically designed for travelers

Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership.2

Your first checked bag is free.2

Priority boarding2 and 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card.2

Earn a $100 American Airlines flight discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal.2

Earn 2 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases2 and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases.2

I wonder if I can get a fourth AA card for the miles. Won't risk it though.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which Gold are you talking about? A previous posted said the Gold AA MC 30k at the citicards site had the "new accounts" language. (There may more than one Gold card out there, and each one may have different terms.)
The link posted by CVG_Kid in post 4820.
Oh, no wonder the confusion. That same poster, CVG_Kid, told us that all the apps he saw had the "new accounts" language, yet this app he posted doesn't (if has the "first-time" language as you noted).

For those that care, there's a completely different 30k offer for a Platinum MC ($1000 spend) that does have the "new accounts" language (not the "first-time" language) at the citicards site:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-credit-cards/
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:36 am

Oh, no wonder the confusion. That same poster, CVG_Kid, told us that all the apps he saw had the "new accounts" language, yet this app he posted doesn't (if has the "first-time" language as you noted).

For those that care, there's a completely different 30k offer for a Platinum MC ($1000 spend) that does have the "new accounts" language (not the "first-time" language) at the citicards site:

Applied with CVG_Kid's link yesterday and the decision is pending. Why would he or she post the "first-time" language when talking about the "new account" language card? I should have read more carefully...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:50 pm

Ike
thanks for the update and glad you had no trouble getting approved!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:45 pm

I will appreciate some help, I am a bit lost.

I am trying to understand what can be the maximum amount of points I may get.

1. Get 50K by applying for a Visa or AMEX personal cards outlined in post 1 section 1?

2. Get 30K by applying for the gold card in post 4820?

So now this is the Maximum possible? Or still people are able to get 2X50?

Can I also apply for a business card at the same time and if not, how long do I need to wait?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Will buying gift cards from AA.com get me the $150 aa credit?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by cutnana
I will appreciate some help, I am a bit lost.

I am trying to understand what can be the maximum amount of points I may get.

1. Get 50K by applying for a Visa or AMEX personal cards outlined in post 1 section 1?

2. Get 30K by applying for the gold card in post 4820?

So now this is the Maximum possible? Or still people are able to get 2X50?

Can I also apply for a business card at the same time and if not, how long do I need to wait?

Thanks!
My understanding is that you can't get the 2X50K anymore, so folks have moved to the 50K and 30K. My other understanding is that you should wait 65+ days before submitting a third app (i.e. the biz app) with Citi.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: WA,AA,BA,SPG,HH
I just applied, it's my AOR day, for the personal AMEX in post 1. Got the we need more info / call at the end. I last opened an AA Visa October of 2011, so not 18 months + since. I cancelled it October 2012 (fee due).
Best to call? Or not call and just see if the card, or letter, comes in the mail. Wonder if there is a datapoint on that.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please see Post 5057 the latest success IkeEsq just had (a mere 3 posts above yours) - it does NOT matter as he used the link that has the language of 1st time customer only, ($750 spend) and got approved via chat - he still has 3 active AA personals, including a pair of Visa/Amex opened in Dec 2012.

Told you that it is splitting hair on the language - it does NOT matter. Whether you get approved or not, it is a highly YMMV situation as demonstrated by IkeEsq's going for the team to test the outer limit and SUCCEEDED!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Applied with CVG_Kid's link yesterday and the decision is pending. Why would he or she post the "first-time" language when talking about the "new account" language card? I should have read more carefully...
It does NOT matter. Please read Post 5057 IkeEsq used the exact same link and got approved, with his last pair opened in Dec 2012!

This example totally DEBUNK the myth on the language whether it would carry any weight whether a card is churnable or not.

People, the language difference is a wishful thinking on our part - in reality it does NOT matter. Whether you get it or not, really largely depends on your LUCK - if you can get thru to Step 5 and get a friendly rep, you are golden. If you are stopped at Step 3, things would be much tougher because the app now is reviewed (if it is not auto-rejected) by human at the desk with more time / attention versus via an online chat. And of course, whether the reviewer is going by the letter or more casual makes all the difference.

Ike
Thank You for doing this for the team and Congrats on the Success! ^

We should all thank IkeEsq for testing the "language" theory and now giving us a fresh data point that the language does NOT matter instead of some perpetually misleading info continues to be spreaded around by pure speculation that does not help anyone other than causing confusion.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Happy
It does NOT matter... This example totally DEBUNK the myth on the language whether it would carry any weight whether a card is churnable or not.

People, the language difference is a wishful thinking on our part - in reality it does NOT matter...

We should all thank IkeEsq for testing the "language" theory and now giving us a fresh data point that the language does NOT matter instead of some perpetually misleading info continues to be spreaded around by pure speculation that does not help anyone other than causing confusion.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you insinuating to we the people that the LANGUAGE DOES NOT MATTER?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.