Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA, BA, DL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jasoninaz
did you read the first page?
Pretty sure he's asking about the link to the 60k offer mentioned in the previous post.

With 948 FT post I hope he knows to read the first page
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: US Airways
Originally Posted by Spacetime17
Pretty sure he's asking about the link to the 60k offer mentioned in the previous post.

With 948 FT post I hope he knows to read the first page
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:33 pm

Data point:

7:30 PM 2/23/2013

Applied for plat AAdvantage AMEX, then 5 min later gold MasterCard. Both required call/chat confirmation - for some reason the cell phone number, even though it was being put on the app, wasn't going through. Smooth sailing; approved on both.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

Here is one more data point:
In Dec 2012 applied for 50K Personal Visa & 50K Personal Amex, got both approved after a couple of brief recon calls. Got the Admiral passes within 20 days of application. Both the Bonuses got posted in last 10 days. So it seems like as long as your apps get approved, you will get the bonus.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jasoninaz
First time applying for the biz card.
Thanks. Several comments talked about being declined due to having a business card in the past. Perhaps it requires a gap of 18+ months like the personal cards. Could anyone confirm a successful churn on the business card and share the details (e.g. when were you approved last time, did you close the card first, how long ago, etc.)?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by lovenola
I just applied for the visa card and called in to get my app status. The lady verified some info and said that she saw no problem with giving me a $11,800 limit. She asked me to hold to finalize everything and then came back and said that she needed someone to sign off my app to issue the card, but they were not available right now, but I should have an answer later today if I called back.

Here is my question: Since I am in the middle of an AOR today (this was card #2 on my to do list), should I pause the AOR until the citi is finalized, or should I carry on, with the risk that all of the later activity will be visible to the citi person who has to act on my card?

A couple of additional things to note: I already have 2 citi aa mc's and 1 citi aa amex. the rep did say that she saw that I was already an account holder and said thanks for your continued business, but nothing more.

I was not doing the 2 browser trick, since it did not work for my wife earlier this month, but I was going to also apply for the citi aa business card for my established legit bus. Should I do this today also, or wait?
Just thought I would post an update:

Called 3 times and finally got approved for the visa card with 50k miles after $2500 spend, $11,800 limit. I then hung up and applied online for the citi aa business card and was instantly approved with a $13,000 limit using the link in post 1.

Anyone know what the minimum spend/bonus miles are for this card?

These two new accounts now bring my total to 5 open citi aa accounts, with the last account opened in 11/2012

Also instantly approved for USAir card today. Decisions pending on the SWA Chase card, BOA Hawaii, and BOH Hawaii cards
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:20 am

The links from #1 on the first post, first page are to two cards: Personal Visa Signature and Personal AMEX. They appear to have the same bonus and same minimum spend. How are people deciding which one to go for? Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lovenola
Anyone know what the minimum spend/bonus miles are for this card?
Never apply for a card if you don't know what the minimum spend is.

Originally Posted by TWA44
The links from #1 on the first post, first page are to two cards: Personal Visa Signature and Personal AMEX. They appear to have the same bonus and same minimum spend. How are people deciding which one to go for? Thanks.
If you have to ask, get the Visa.

Last edited by PainCorp; Feb 24, 2013 at 1:33 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:50 am

Business Card Churning

Originally Posted by lw7878
Thanks. Several comments talked about being declined due to having a business card in the past. Perhaps it requires a gap of 18+ months like the personal cards. Could anyone confirm a successful churn on the business card and share the details (e.g. when were you approved last time, did you close the card first, how long ago, etc.)?
I have been scanning this thread recently and several people have been asking about churning the business card. Having read most of this thread and the 75K thread and receiving 5 AA business cards in the last 20 months between my wife and I, here is what I have learned: YMMV

On one end of the spectrum there is my experiences and those of a few people who have posted in these threads over the past couple of years. My wife and I applied for and received 75K Business cards in June 2011. I closed mine in September 2011. I applied again in April 2012 and was instantly approved. Wife applied in July 2012 and was instantly approved with existing card open. I applied again in September 2012 and was declined, reconsideration failed, I sent a note to the Executive Office, got a call from them, explained I wanted card for new business not additional CL and they could move credit line. Ended up getting new card without moving CL. All 5 cards were for sole-proprietorships. Others have talked about getting 4+ Citi Business cards and churning every 3-6 months.

In the middle are those who have had to close their prior Business cards prior to Approval. Happy talked at some length about her trials and tribulations for her husband in this regard in the old thread. This requires that you close the 16-digit account associated with the Business as well as the 16-digit account associated with each card.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who, especially over the last 4 months or so, are told that they cannot get a new Business card because they have had one previously, even if it was closed months or years earlier. Now perhaps they did not properly close both the Business and Card accounts or perhaps this is just another amusing Citi quirk.

Ike
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
i dont remember reading any attempts yet on FT but someone reported success on one of the blogs i believe. curious minds would love to know if it is indeed possible so please report back if you try

ETA:
forgot to mention that at least 2 of us succeeded in getting a gold card a few days to a week after receiving approval for a platinum/select card (reports a few pages back) - so the gold card really might be considered a separate product!
I may try out the 30K Gold card to see. I got the two 50K Visa/AmEx in December 2012. Of interest is the T&C for the Gold card:

1 This Citi / AAdvantage card offer is valid only for first-time Citi / AAdvantage cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account. The American Airlines AAdvantage miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements.

T&C from Post #1 Visa and AmEx links:

This offer is only valid for new accounts.

T&C for Link 1 business card:

This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I may try out the 30K Gold card to see. I got the two 50K Visa/AmEx in December 2012. Of interest is the T&C for the Gold card:

1 This Citi / AAdvantage card offer is valid only for first-time Citi / AAdvantage cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account. The American Airlines AAdvantage miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage account 8-10 weeks after you have met the purchase requirements.

T&C from Post #1 Visa and AmEx links:

This offer is only valid for new accounts.

T&C for Link 1 business card:

This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card.
Which Gold are you talking about? A previous posted said the Gold AA MC 30k at the citicards site had the "new accounts" language. (There may more than one Gold card out there, and each one may have different terms.)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Husband with the 3 letter first name finally got approved for the Visa in post #1 and the Gold in the earlier post (applied for Gold about 5 minutes after Visa). He had to add a consonant to both applications to make his first name 4 letters to get the application to go through. Three letters in the first name field apparently makes the application think it is a prefix and it won't let you proceed. However, possibly due to this discrepancy of his name not matching his SSN, he got the "please call" message for both cards.

First he called for the Visa and after the South Dakota rep verfied his address, she came back with a credit ike of $13k. She never asked about the name issue. Next when he called for the MC, the South Dakota rep verified the incorrect name spelling and then asked if he wanted to move some credit limit from his Bronze card (that was from the AA Amex he recently downgraded). He said yes and now has a $25k limit on that card. Both phone calls included asking him for permission to add his cell phone number and reading of a script detailing that there he accepts any charges incurred from Citi sending a text message.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by sent
Both phone calls included asking him for permission to add his cell phone number and reading of a script detailing that there he accepts any charges incurred from Citi sending a text message.
This. This is what required a call/chat for both apps last night. I wonder if it is some newly-hatched thing that isn't built into the online app.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:39 am

Business card?

What are the hurdles involved with applying for a business card where the business is just starting? The application asks for annual revenue, would a low number cause my application to be rejected?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which Gold are you talking about? A previous posted said the Gold AA MC 30k at the citicards site had the "new accounts" language. (There may more than one Gold card out there, and each one may have different terms.)
The link posted by CVG_Kid in post 4820.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.