Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
Actually I don't think it will work. you might want to zero out your cash advance limit on the cards. Citi very likely will re-code your purchase as a cash advance and charge you the fee and deny giving you AA points as well as not counting them as purchases.

yeah i was looking at that. but...from all I read I can buy gift cards at stores and they are considered regular transactions - so for example my local grocery gives 20 cents off a gallon right right for every 50 dollars spent. They sell amex gift cards - which I can buy - then use to buy travelers checks right?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
yeah i was looking at that. but...from all I read I can buy gift cards at stores and they are considered regular transactions - so for example my local grocery gives 20 cents off a gallon right right for every 50 dollars spent. They sell amex gift cards - which I can buy - then use to buy travelers checks right?
Have you tried it at your local grocery store? cents off gallon at my store excludes gift cards and other cash equivalent purchases. Also activating these gift cards cost additional money. And over here they don't allow travelers check purchase with gift cards. (only amex cards and treat it as cash advance but with no fee so you don't get any awards). YMMV so do your math before commit.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:31 am

when we bought our disney gift card to buy annual passes it worked - 1000 bucks 20 cents off for every 50 meant a free tank on the truck (up to 30 gals free at a time). At the time it was near 4 a gallon so 120 bucks in free gas. I called amex and they said that gift card purchases through them were treated as regular purchases - there are no post purchase fees it says but I will go through the motions to see how much a card costs to get.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:55 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Discussion on meeting minimum spends probably belongs somewhere else. For example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...hout-mint.html

There are lots and lots of ways to do it. I think most folks in this thread, tho, focus on pre-paying bills with no fee, since the minimums aren't that high, really.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jgoggan
You can go to AA.com and buy an AA Gift Card. Minimum size is $50 worth. You can get a physical card, but you have to pay shipping. Or you can get a virtual card and it will be $50 only. I have confirmed that this qualifies for the $150 credit back.

You can also go to AA.com and then buy luggage tags for $20 plus tax. I have been told that this works, but am waiting to confirm it myself. I should know as soon as my statement goes in a few days.

- John...
Can anyone confirm that buying a $50GC from AA (virtual or physical) still works to trigger $150 statement credit? My first year is ending in Nov. I am not expecting to be flying AA by then.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by dldkjones
Can anyone confirm that buying a $50GC from AA (virtual or physical) still works to trigger $150 statement credit? My first year is ending in Nov. I am not expecting to be flying AA by then.
Along the same lines -- if I book an award ticket and pay a $2.50 security fee with the card, would that trigger the statement credit? If so, should be fairly easy to cover the 3% williampaid fee for an easy minimum spend.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Has anyone done two churns successfully IN 2012?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Has anyone done two churns successfully IN 2012?
well I obtained a personal visa end of april/12. And I just obtained a biz card this week. Also, there are folks in this thread who have used the "two browser trick", to get two personal cards in one go this year.

Also churning of the biz card every 90 days seems to be still available.

The only thing that is mostly resulting in failure, is trying to obtain a second personal card a few months after the first one was obtained. The evidence is weighing heavily towards you needing to wait 18 months if you want another personal card. However, there have been cases where you do not have to wait that long, not to mention, cases where you have to wait longer than 18 months.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:34 pm

Is this dead ? the personal amex & visa 50k dont work?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ascg
Is this dead ? the personal amex & visa 50k dont work?
It seems like sys. maintenance!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dldkjones
I bought $100 AA Gift Card thru their website. I got back the $100 as statement credit from Citi in next billing cycle. (my CC offer was spend 2.5K in 4 months for 45K miles, $100 statement credit, 2 passes).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ramp1610
I bought $100 AA Gift Card thru their website. I got back the $100 as statement credit from Citi in next billing cycle. (my CC offer was spend 2.5K in 4 months for 45K miles, $100 statement credit, 2 passes).
Visa or Amex?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when we bought our disney gift card to buy annual passes it worked - 1000 bucks 20 cents off for every 50 meant a free tank on the truck (up to 30 gals free at a time). At the time it was near 4 a gallon so 120 bucks in free gas. I called amex and they said that gift card purchases through them were treated as regular purchases - there are no post purchase fees it says but I will go through the motions to see how much a card costs to get.
It does not matter how AMEX coded it, Citi can reverse the code and re-code it as Cash Advance. Happened to many in the past.

You will find yourself in a pile of mess to use Citi card to buy AMEX Gift Card directly from AMEX.

Please do some homework and read some info from a couple years back (search function may help you.)

Buying it from other merchants may be treated as a purchase if the merchant code it the same as any other purchase bought from the store.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

actually could i not just buy travelers checks (ny bank charges 2% of face value) for 5000 - deposit it and auto pay the bill when it comes - sure it cost me 100 bucks but that 100 statement credit covers that
Originally Posted by yoyo
Actually I don't think it will work. you might want to zero out your cash advance limit on the cards. Citi very likely will re-code your purchase as a cash advance and charge you the fee and deny giving you AA points as well as not counting them as purchases.
Citi treats purchases from FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONs as Cash Advance with all charges and fees associated with it.

More over, even if you zero out the Cash Advance limit to 0, you may still run a risk that the transaction goes thru and REOPENs the cash advance back to its original state.

Do this at your own risk.

Better yet, do a search in this forum and the Credit Card forum using keywords, Citi, Cash Advance, AMEX Gift Cards, Travel Checks. Learn the perils before you dream up the "easy ways".

Sometimes all it takes is just some common sense - if the scheme you think of could be done, it would be a piece of cake and everyone would be doing it. There would not be such a thread exists:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...hout-mint.html

Last edited by Happy; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ianturner
Visa or Amex?
Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.