Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Thanks for that. I've been holding cards for a full year, which is obviously longer than necessary. And I can be more aggressive on the HH 50K card.
Some hold cards longer, see my above post as to why I never hold cards that I don't use past 8 months. I will break that rule and go 12 months to get the 10K Usair bonus
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Some hold cards longer, see my above post as to why I never hold cards that I don't use past 8 months. I will break that rule and go 12 months to get the 10K Usair bonus
I'm swimming in ccs, I'm happy to get rid of some of them. My sock drawer is overflowing.

Plus it sets the clock running on getting them again.

As for the AAoA, it's posted elsewhere on FT that cards stay on your credit record for 10 years after they are cancelled. And AMEX outright sets the date on every new card as the date of the earliest card you hold. My PRG that I got last spring is dated 1997, when I got my first AMEX. Barclays tells me my FICO, not Fako, but FICO is 797.

AAoA is not a consideration for me.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
what report do they pull?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac921ol
what report do they pull?
Whichever one they want. Some people think it's by state, but then they find out on their next app that the information by state didn't apply to their latest app. (One theory is that Citi may have a contract discounts with one bureau in some states for N pulls a month, and then once they use that up they shift to another bureau for the rest of the month. Then in other states they may have the same thing but with a different bureau and with a different number N.) And if you read lots of this thread, you'll see that sometimes Citi only pulls from one bureau but sometimes they pull from two bureaus (for one card app).
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whichever one they want. Some people think it's by state, but then they find out on their next app that the information by state didn't apply to their latest app. (One theory is that Citi may have a contract discounts with one bureau in some states for N pulls a month, and then once they use that up they shift to another bureau for the rest of the month. Then in other states they may have the same thing but with a different bureau and with a different number N.) And if you read lots of this thread, you'll see that sometimes Citi only pulls from one bureau but sometimes they pull from two bureaus (for one card app).
Confirmed. It pulled from 2 different bureaus on my apps in random fashion but only 1 for husband's apps.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:25 am

Data point: got my fourth Citi Hilton since 6/2012 today. Also got AA Plat Visa since that time
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just received my rejection letter from Citi - 'Too many recent credit inquiries are recorded on your credit bureau report', first rejection ever for this reason and this has been a relatively light year. They pulled Experian, prior to this AOR day I have had 5 pulls on Experian this year, none in the previous four months. 12 last year, but that should not qualify as recent. This was my fourth app of the day, all went to Experian, but they should not see that.
Should I bother calling the reconsideration line?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by richtravels
I have had 5 pulls on Experian this year, none in the previous four months.... Should I bother calling the reconsideration line?
I don't see what you have to loose? As a data point I just received this card for the 3rd time. This year I have 9 new cards, 8 of which came in the last 6 months including 3 other Citi (AA) cards. All but 1 of these cards (Barclays US Air) pulled from Experian.

EDIT: When I wrote the above I missed the part about the 4th app of the day, which contradicts your statement about none in the previous 4 months.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Nov 29, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
This was my fourth app of the day, all went to Experian, but they should not see that.
This is a persistent misconception. Inquiries hit immediately. The new accounts themselves do not.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
This is a persistent misconception. Inquiries hit immediately. The new accounts themselves do not.
No matter how good your credit with Citi, they have a max number of inquires they want to see you getting from anyone within a given time frame. Had the Citi app been sooner in the app order, it may very well have been approved.

IMHO:

This is why a churn must be preplanned. My approach is to apply for the most skittish banks first. US BANK, then Barclays, then Citi, then Chase, then AMEX, and finally B of A. Especially with the first 3, wait for approval before making the next app. Start in the morning so you have time to make as many recon calls as necessary, and still get all your apps in the same day.

If you are applying for a number of cards, it's best to make your apps the same day, and then wait @ 100 days before you apply again. When the banks see your prior inquires, and it's been over 3 months, and you haven't been maxing those cards out, it doesn't seem like such a danger sign.

It's not just how you apply, but also when, and in which order....
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

With all this talk about waiting, I'm interested to see what you have to say with my situation as I was planning to app for this today to begin churning it.

Apped/approved for 3 cards (none Citi) in May/June of this year. They are my keeper cards (CSP, Hyatt Chase, and BCP).
Did mini AOR for Club Carlson, US Air, and Citi AA on 11/22. 3/3

I now have 12 inquiries on Experian, which is what Citi pulled for the AA card.

Today would be a week+ apart from my last Citi app so I was hoping to begin churning this Hilton card. Should I hold off until next AOR late next year?

Last edited by healthnut; Nov 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm Reason: Instantly approved!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received my rejection letter from Citi - 'Too many recent credit inquiries are recorded on your credit bureau report', first rejection ever for this reason and this has been a relatively light year. They pulled Experian, prior to this AOR day I have had 5 pulls on Experian this year, none in the previous four months. 12 last year, but that should not qualify as recent. This was my fourth app of the day, all went to Experian, but they should not see that.
Should I bother calling the reconsideration line?
No. They see it. Only the actual account not showing up until approval. inquiries are real time and instantly show up on your report.

When Citi system detects your application, the system counts you have a total of 5 + 3 applications on Experian already, given the Citi's the 4th of the day. Had you applied the Citi's first, you may stand a chance as Citi system does seem to have a limit on max of 6 inquiries per previous 6 months from the same reporting agency.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Brugge
IMHO:

This is why a churn must be preplanned. My approach is to apply for the most skittish banks first. US BANK, then Barclays, then Citi, then Chase, then AMEX, and finally B of A. Especially with the first 3, wait for approval before making the next app. Start in the morning so you have time to make as many recon calls as necessary, and still get all your apps in the same day.
Interesting advise. I started with the cards I most wanted to be sure that I got them. Next time I will use your advise.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Instant approval using the link in post #1, 13.5K CL

relevant data points:
Citi AA personal approved 9/2012
Citi AA biz approved 10/2013
Experian 7 inquiries/7 new accounts in 2013 (now 8) w/ 4 of them being in past 6 months
This was not part of an AoA, just a single app in between AoAs which I do from time to time if the circumstances fit.

As noted above, the inquiry appears instantly which I can confirm as I pulled up my Experian report to double check my last 6 months total inquiries and found 4 then applied and checked Exp again and could already see the Citi inq. from tonight.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Thanks for this list. It's not that easy to know which bank is picky. I'm surprised that you list AMEX as easy because it's the only one that denied me credit. I just got the Alaska Airlines card and see what you mean putting that as easiest. They gave me a 15K credit line and I had no relationship with them prior to this card.

quote:

Last edited by wholelottamiles; Dec 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm Reason: Wrong quotation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.