Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by SGJazz
Duh! Just saw it.
And, so that the circle is complete, no, I didn't cancel. But I will probably cancel my first two Hilton cards shortly since it appears I've reached my credit limit with Citi and earlier intelligence in this thread has suggested that cancellation of cards, if done at all, should be done months and not shortly before reapplying for new ones. Since I anticipate taking one more run at two of these cards by the end of the year before resting so that I can gear up for another run at the Citi AA cards, if they're still around, in the spring of 2013 (last hit for me, late spring 2011), I'll want to give myself the best shot possible at getting north of 300K HHonors points.

I think it's interesting, however, that the CSRs, while clearly able to see all of the cards I had open, had NO interest in denying me new Hilton cards based on my current holding of other Hilton cards. This is consistent with my theory that rather than some odd glitch in the Citi system, the "two browser" trick, while fitting in with all the rules we've seen about applying for Citi cards, is no glitch.

So long as your credit is good and you follow the strategy outlined in this thread and the similar experiences from the Citi AA threads, Citi will approve the cards.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got Congrat emails on both cards

Sequence of the little story for those who need handholding.

Applied on 09/06 using 2 links in post 468. FF and Chrome, though I dont believe is necessary in this case as they are identical cards unlike the AAdvantage genre.

Both reached Step 5. Did not opt for online registration on one in FF, only the payment due date option. It did not give me reference number after hitting submit. Tried to do online registration on the other in Chrome. The site did not like my password choice. After 2nd try, it crapped out on me, told me to re-apply.

Knew both apps have gone thru as both reached Step 5. But submitted a 3rd app anyway so to be the "guinea pig" to test the boundary of more than 2 app within 65 days. Experiment failed as 3rd app stopped at Step 3 as expected.

Was waiting Citi to call to reallocate credit lines. No call for 2 days.

On 09/09 I was overcome by curiosity so I called the status line. Instead of automated message, got transferred to the manila rep. (for a moment I regretted calling.)

Manila rep asked me if I had good memory, because I had submitted 3 apps. Told her 2 were intentional w/o explaining why, and the 3rd one due to system told me to do so after it errored me out.

She looked up and cheerfully announced "Congratulation, you are approved the card with 12K credit line." Told her to look further, and another "Congratulation, you are also approved on that one with 12K credit line." She confirmed the 3rd app was denied for "multiple application" and I would receive a letter for that. I said I understand. She then proceeded to give me the IDs on all 3 and the phone number to call in case I do not receive my pair in 10 business days.

Asked her to verify bonus and benefits - all verified as expected.

No last 4 digits were available at the time of calling. She said it would take 48 hours.

Both Congrat emails with last 4 digits of card number hit inbox at 1pm.

Hope the above has enough details to help those who are still wondering "why" and questioning about the links still work / bonuses still 50K / etc etc etc

Bottom line, links in post 468 definitely still work. If you have reached Step 5, you are almost golden. No need to call - Citi would call you in case it needs you to move lines as reported by others. (and in own household, spousal unit has one card auto approved and one card needed re-allocation.) If no call from Citi and you reached Step 5, your cards most likely were auto-approved even it was deferred. Congrat emails come 2 to 3 days after approvals.

So do it, dont call, dont kill the deals for others.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: american express, aadvantage, marriott rewards, starwoods, delta, nwa
I just tried both those links in #468 - both said they were no longer available....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by greenbombadil
I just tried both those links in #468 - both said they were no longer available....
All THREE works fine for me. Clear your cookies, switch browsers, etc etc.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: spg gold
Happy, thanks for all the data points. Well done!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
+1 For Happy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenbombadil
Originally Posted by booyaa
All THREE works fine for me. Clear your cookies, switch browsers, etc etc.
Also make sure your browsers are set to accept 3rd party cookies - the new interface Citi is having, only works when the browser allows 3rd party cookies. This affects access accounts online and I am not sure it affects application links or not but it does not hurt to set it to be compatible with Citi's newly "enhanced" websites so one less possible glitch.

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
+1 For Happy
Thank you guys.

So we can just refer back to that post for questions UNTIL things changed.

Newbies please please read and dont call. We all hope to have many happy returns so just be quiet and do it.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:01 am

Application stopped at Step 3 (Chrome & FF)

Hey guys,

Submitted 2 apps with Chrome and FF within 1 second of each other. Both stopped at Step 3 with message "Application Received" and they will contact me within a week with decision.

My line limits at Citi is tiny compared to Chase (30-40Kish). Should not be an issue with that.

But I also applied the following today of which all instant approved as part of my App O Rama:

-US Airways Card 40K
-Priority Club Bard 80K
-Amex Gold Biz 75K

Question:

Should I call Citi Reconsideration Line and ask about the status and present my case(I need 2 cards to separate my travel expense spend vs domestic/personal spend).

Should I just wait for the mail/email?

Thanks everyone!

David
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:10 am

I would give them a call. Can't hurt. They'll tell you what (if any) problem there is. I had one go through and the other I called and then sent a note to the Executive Office and eventually got both.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I think it's interesting, however, that the CSRs, while clearly able to see all of the cards I had open, had NO interest in denying me new Hilton cards based on my current holding of other Hilton cards. This is consistent with my theory that rather than some odd glitch in the Citi system, the "two browser" trick, while fitting in with all the rules we've seen about applying for Citi cards, is no glitch.
In fact, it's been stated before (and never unproven as far as I know) that instead of applying for 2 HHonors card every 65 days, you could apply for one HHonors card every 33 days. It's just that doing 2 at a time makes keeping track of "2 every 65 days" cycles at Citi (Citi overall) easier, so few if any people actually try to stagger them. (And in any case, whether it's 2 every 65 or 1 every 33, many people can't meet the spend threshold fast enough to keep applying at that theoretically fastest possible rate.)

However, the two-browser-type trick can help when applying for two cards from Citi at the same time if you are not expert at dealing with cookies, to minimize glitthces where the online system confuses your two applications. It doesn't happen anywhere near always if you don't use the two-browser-type trick, but it does sometimes happen, so if you happen to have two types of browsers on your computer (or two computers) handy, why not "just in case"?

As to the big why? Well, those of us who've looked at the numbers know that the Citi HHonors card is not much good for everyday spend past the signup bonus (compared to the Amex HHonors card). The recent earning changes lessen that difference somewhat, but don't elimintate it. So maybe Citi is happy that we're actually spending on their cards, when we do the minimum spend on one HHonors card after another, because they see that we don't spend on those cards if we don't apply for new ones. (And they can see, if they pull our credit reports, not only if we have a Hilton Amex, but also whether we use it!)

Another theory (that goes back to the AA rapid-churning days) is of Citi credit department employees getting bonuses for each credit card issued. That would make them happy to find people (FTers) rabidly into applying for credit cards they don't seem to need, wouldn't it?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Should I call Citi Reconsideration Line and ask about the status and present my case(I need 2 cards to separate my travel expense spend vs domestic/personal spend).
If you just applied today, there's no reason to call yet. Give it a day or 2.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... (And they can see, if they pull our credit reports, not only if we have a Hilton Amex, but also whether we use it!)
How do you tell apart a Hilton Amex from a say SPG Amex on one's credit report?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Another theory (that goes back to the AA rapid-churning days) is of Citi credit department employees getting bonuses for each credit card issued. That would make them happy to find people (FTers) rabidly into applying for credit cards they don't seem to need, wouldn't it?
Ah, you gotta love capitalism!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:28 am

In fact, it's been stated before (and never unproven as far as I know) that instead of applying for 2 HHonors card every 65 days, you could apply for one HHonors card every 33 days. It's just that doing 2 at a time makes keeping track of "2 every 65 days" cycles at Citi (Citi overall) easier, so few if any people actually try to stagger them.
There's also the side benefit of having two credit pulls combined into one if you make both applications on the same day.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Just a piece of info re Citi HH card . I had met my $1500 spend on closing date 91/11 and saw that the last $200 was shown as pending for a few days.
I called and asked for a CSR Supervisor and told him needed the statement to close with the pending spend to get the 50 K HH bonus .

Even though statement closed below the $1500 spend the 50K HH ponits were deposited in my account today , as he said he would take care of it .

WTG Citi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.