Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Re: getting a better Citi offer than the one you got

@NVGuy36

FWIW: I got the 30k for $500 spend Citi HH Signature Visa at the tail end of March, completing the spend in April and receiving the 30k bonus.

Then when I saw the 40k for $1000 spend offer in the middle of April, I called Citi and asked the CSR if I could be bumped to the new offer I'd just seen. I even offered to spend the extra $500. She put me on hold while she went to ask her supervisor, and when she came back she told me "no, we can't upgrade the bonus offer on your current card." However, before I could even get the first words of arguement out, the CSR said "but you can just go ahead and apply for the new offer." I then asked "are you sure that getting the bonus points for the first offer doesn't automatically preclude me from getting points for the new offer?" The CSR replied that "receiving the 30k offer does not disqualify me from the 40k offer." Long story short: I hung up, completed the 40k app, was approved instantly, did the spend, and have reveived my 40k bonus.

My presumption based on this experience is that since the points are awarded for spending, not as welcome bonuses or first purchase bonuses, Citi will allow one to get multiple cards in the same line without penalty.

So, IMO if you've recently gotten a Citi HH card: call and ask about an offer upgrade and if refused, ask for confirmation that you would qualify for the new (50k) offer if approved and spend met. If so, do the online app and get your new card. Done. Disclaimer: [as always] YMMV.

Cheers

p.s. I might just have to call again myself!

संसार पथिक

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 10, 2011 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
I think I got the Citi HH back some time mid-late 2010. Interesting results on the new application for the 50k offer.

I might just attempt that route! Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, FWIW, I was mistaken earlier in saying 'Chase like' for the promo matching.......it was AmEx who was doing the offer matching on their Gold Premier card to the 75k deal everyone's been jumping on lately.

Peace!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:17 pm

I know this is probably the highest offer from Citi so far, but Is it considered a huge offer? (seems like you could only redeem for 2 nights?) I will do my research and read up more on it. I normally stay at IHG properties, so I'm not as familiar with the program.

I was recently denied for the AA credit card (not a first time member), so I applied to the Amex Hilton card and got it. While I was at it, I decided to apply for this one too while I'm still working on the spend for the Sapphire card. I messed up and forgot that it's a Citi card and it hasn't been 60 days since my last application and was denied for that reason.

I have a good credit and was targeted (at least I received the email with the 50,000 points). I suppose I could appeal but don't want to raise more attention to my application since I'm already at 6 inquiries already. I just figured I wait a bit while I work on other spend, and get this card in a couple of months. But if this is considered a big offer, I may want to reconsider...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Red face

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
I know this is probably the highest offer from Citi so far, but Is it considered a huge offer? (seems like you could only redeem for 2 nights?) I will do my research and read up more on it. I normally stay at IHG properties, so I'm not as familiar with the program.

I was recently denied for the AA credit card (not a first time member), so I applied to the Amex Hilton card and got it. While I was at it, I decided to apply for this one too while I'm still working on the spend for the Sapphire card. I messed up and forgot that it's a Citi card and it hasn't been 60 days since my last application and was denied for that reason.

I have a good credit and was targeted (at least I received the email with the 50,000 points). I suppose I could appeal but don't want to raise more attention to my application since I'm already at 6 inquiries already. I just figured I wait a bit while I work on other spend, and get this card in a couple of months. But if this is considered a big offer, I may want to reconsider...
No, I wouldn't consider it a huge offer, but its the best so far, its a no-fee card so you don't have to worry about canceling later, and if you use the points right you can get $500+ value from the bonus.

For me the problem is that I have a ton of miles available, but limited hotel points which makes every hotel card more attractive right now.

As I suggested before, apply for both this and the AA card at the same time. That way even if turned down for the AA one for having the card in the past, it won't count against you but at least you can try for it worry free.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by tomszack
@NVGuy36

My presumption based on this experience is that since the points are awarded for spending, not as welcome bonuses or first purchase bonuses, Citi will allow one to get multiple cards in the same line without penalty.

So, IMO if you've recently gotten a Citi HH card: call and ask about an offer upgrade and if refused, ask for confirmation that you would qualify for the new (50k) offer if approved and spend met. If so, do the online app and get your new card. Done. Disclaimer: [as always] YMMV.
I'm in the same boat as my 30K haven't posted. To confirm, you have 70K from the two cards? I'll call and bite but having two of the same card doesn't seem right.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomszack
It can't be that simple, since for years now AA cards have all required spending to get the signup bonus, and yet in most cases they deny you for already having an AA card.

If you look at the T&Cs of the card, it says it's only valid for "new accounts". That's the wording the AA cards had when they used to be churnable (every 60 days or so). When AA cards stopped being churnable, the term changed from "new accounts" to "new cardmember".

All "new accounts" says is that if you get an additional card for an existing account, you can't get the bonus. But obviously a new app generates a new account, every time!

This implies the 40k offer might be churnable "Citi old school style" if it stays around long enough...

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm Reason: fixed HTML formatting
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It can't be that simple, since for years now AA cards have all required spending to get the signup bonus, and yet in most cases they deny you for already having an AA card.

If you look at the T&Cs of the card, it says it's only valid for "new accounts". That's the wording the AA cards had when they used to be churnable (every 60 days or so). When AA cards stopped being churnable, the term changed from "new accounts" to "new cardmember".

All "new accounts" says is that if you get an additional card for an existing account, you can't get the bonus. But obviously a new app generates a new account, every time!

This implies the 40k offer might be churnable "Citi old school style" if it stays around long enough...
Since I opened the 30K bonus a few months ago, should I try and open an additional account or close and try and churn it with the 50k?

Thx
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
I'm in the same boat as my 30K haven't posted. To confirm, you have 70K from the two cards? I'll call and bite but having two of the same card doesn't seem right.

Yes. That is 100% correct.

And again, I was simply describing my singular experience. Didn't seem right to me either, but it happened.

संसार पथिक

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:35 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:17 am

This worked for me for the HH card not the AA card, so I cannot speat to that.

All "new accounts" says is that if you get an additional card for an existing account, you can't get the bonus. But obviously a new app generates a new account, every time!.

Yes indeed. I have two separate accounts for the two cards I have gotten.

Edit: and I just went back to look at the T&Cs of the 40K offer: It does state "valid for new accounts"!

संसार पथिक

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:42 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Since I opened the 30K bonus a few months ago, should I try and open an additional account or close and try and churn it with the 50k?

Thx

Based on my experience, that would be entirely at your discretion.

I did not cancel the first card before completing the second app, due to the fact that I'd gotten the first card maybe 5 weeks prior and didn't want to possibly invite any trouble with the points I'd literally just earned.

Either way, it would seem that cancelling is not a necessary step here.

संसार पथिक

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 13, 2011 at 6:38 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:05 pm

Just wanted to drop in and let people know that I also applied using the link in post #1 and was approved and confirmed with the rep that it was 50,000 bonus points for $1,500 in spend in 6 months. 4 points/$ at Hilton and 2 points/$ at gas/groceries I believe (Hilton AmEx is better though)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Any guesses on whether having applied for a Citi AA card in the past 60 days would impact a new application for the Citi HHonors card?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by erik1868
Any guesses on whether having applied for a Citi AA card in the past 60 days would impact a new application for the Citi HHonors card?
I asked the same question in the AA thread and was told that it would.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by erik1868
Impact it how?

I thought that Citi apps had to be 60 days apart.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
oops i see its in another thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.