Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
For some reason she had to call in on a recent AA EXEC app, but about all they asked was if she wanted to all her cell number, which seemed a silly reason to make her call in.
Every time I had to call in about Citi HH apps was exactly because of that. They had to confirm that I indeed wanted to use a cell phone to be my "home phone" in my app, and read me something about that ("we may have to contact you through this number, bla bla bla, are you sure you understand that this cell phone number will be use as a phone number, bla bla bla").
After I agreed, they went away for 2 minutes and told me I was approved, and always apologized for the "low" amount of credit they were able to give me.
Last 2 times was approved without a need to call in.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
it looks like the deals will be fewer and farther between.
Remember the spring of 2013? Plat AA cards were not churnable, then suddenly, they were giving out (50K?) cards like candy. As many as you could fit in with 8/65. That went on for something like 6 months. Then everyone was so sad when Citi killed that deal in mid August.

Until the recent EXEC deal came along. Now some people are on #10, with never paying an AF. My wife and I just got another this last week. Now Chase has clarified their cc policy, and a bunch of cards I got over 2 years ago are ripe for canceling and re-applying.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I haven't heard a peep from her yet.

Keep calm and churn on.....
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember the spring of 2013? Plat AA cards were not churnable, then suddenly, they were giving out (50K?) cards like candy. As many as you could fit in with 8/65. That went on for something like 6 months. Then everyone was so sad when Citi killed that deal in mid August.

Until the recent EXEC deal came along. Now some people are on #10, with never paying an AF. My wife and I just got another this last week. Now Chase has clarified their cc policy, and a bunch of cards I got over 2 years ago are ripe for canceling and re-applying.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I haven't heard a peep from her yet.

Keep calm and churn on.....
First you say AA Plat was not churnable. It was, just one every 12 to 18 to 26 months. Then you call Chase's new policy of one every 2 years (24 months) churnable. How is 2 years so different from 12 to 18 to 26 months (except that's it's more clearly documented)?

In other words, Citi has never killed churnability. What's they've killed (for some cards so far) is fast churnability (churn rates of no more than a few months). But they've always kept slow churnability (churn rates of a year or more) around.

The only major bank (issuing real miles / real points cards) I can think of that has certainly killed churnability totally in recent times is Amex USA on personal cards, with the new (as of May 1, 2014) once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:43 pm

I received my approval today, so I should be able to report back some results within a month or so.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I received my approval today, so I should be able to report back some results within a month or so.
Shouldn't be necessary to wait a month. Your approval letter should tell you about the 50,000 mile bonus.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
Shouldn't be necessary to wait a month. Your approval letter should tell you about the 50,000 mile bonus.

I wouldn't rely on that letter, there is a chance that same letter is included in the welcome package for the cards with the 18 month language.

Since Citi is telling you before you apply that you won't get the 50K there is a chance the same welcome packet goes out to all new card members but only people who haven't had the card within 18 months will get the bonus.

When Amex changed the personal cards i was told I would get the bonus right up until I was denied

IMO, With all the possible changes I think people posting that points are actually in their account will be a big help
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by travelpye
I applied yesterday using link in wiki. I got the message to call in to provide more info, which is same message I got with last 3 Citi apps. I had 2 of these Hilton cards open already, but agent only wanted to know if I wanted her to transfer $ from my CL on one card...she didn't mention second Hilton card I have open.

I did not confirm bonus with her; she had put me on hold at least 3 times to check various matters, and our connection was not very good with lots of static making it difficult for me to hear her.
I will report back when letter arrives with details and also when bonus posts.

3 months ago I had reduced CL on two of my open Citi cards, both AA cards by a total of 10k, I did this hoping to have an instant approval with no need to call in. So, I was surprised to be offered only $3,700 CL on this card initially. Sharing this info is really why I am posting. I had expected after reducing limits on two Citi AA cards 3 months ago through SM that I would have freed an equivalent amount for this new app, but that is not how it worked for me.

I had a total of 4 Citi cards before opening this card yesterday. I hope to convert one card, the oldest, to the 2% cash back soon. This new card yesterday makes 4th Citi card I opened in 2015, and I have closed 2 this year.
I too reduced CL by $14.5 K in hopes of auto approval for a Citi AA card. They offered to open at recon with $1K CL .

Moved from HH to open AA with 5K
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I wouldn't rely on that letter, there is a chance that same letter is included in the welcome package for the cards with the 18 month language.

Since Citi is telling you before you apply that you won't get the 50K there is a chance the same welcome packet goes out to all new card members but only people who haven't had the card within 18 months will get the bonus.

When Amex changed the personal cards i was told I would get the bonus right up until I was denied

IMO, With all the possible changes I think people posting that points are actually in their account will be a big help
Not how it works with the AA EXEC card. People who have had that card before get an approval letter that doesn't mention a bonus.

But yes, actual data points from people who have completed the spend will be a real answer. Right now we are all just guessing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

Applied 11/8...........40K plus $50 statement credit posted today

edit................only the spend posted to my HH account.................43K is on my statement but not in my HH account.

This should be fun. I see my balance went up about 3K HH points..............I can't see the details yet but I more or less know the drill. I sent Citi an SM and they replied that they sent the following points over.

Our records show that the following points were reported to Hilton HHonors on 12/16/14:

12/16/14 1042 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 2031 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 112 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 40000 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER

I opened a case with Hilton referencing the specific credit card # and they gave me a case #.

I was told the normal 10 day BS , hopefully it gets resolved..............since it's 40K there should not be any confusion with past bonuses as the last few were 50K.

The Hilton rep from this forum is also helping me as I sent Erin an SM with the details

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 18, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:09 pm

Not how it works with the AA EXEC card. People who have had that card before get an approval letter that doesn't mention a bonus.
My fiance applied last week and got the 50K/4 months insert in her letter from Citi today
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
signed up and hope I'll be able to redeem for a Conrad stay soon
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:38 am

My fiance applied last week and got the 50K/4 months insert in her letter from Citi today
Yes and no. I meant if you sign up for an EXEC card with one of the official links that have the "18 months" language in it. Then you get a letter that doesn't mention the bonus, and in fact Citi does refuse to give you a bonus after you complete the spend. But the EXEC wiki has a link to an app that does not have that language in it. And if you use that link, you do get a letter than mentions the bonus, and you do get the bonus after you meet the spend.

Of course, it's been reported on the HH Res thread that Citi handles the HH cards in a quite different manner.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:55 am

I applied using 50k link in wiki last weekend. I got letter mentioning 50k after 1k spend. Will report back after making spend re results of bonus posting.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by travelpye
I applied using 50k link in wiki last weekend. I got letter mentioning 50k after 1k spend. Will report back after making spend re results of bonus posting.
Me too.

There is no new language in the letter preventing those of us with multiple cards from getting the bonus again.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Applied 11/8...........40K plus $50 statement credit posted today

edit................only the spend posted to my HH account.................43K is on my statement but not in my HH account.

This should be fun. I see my balance went up about 3K HH points..............I can't see the details yet but I more or less know the drill. I sent Citi an SM and they replied that they sent the following points over.

Our records show that the following points were reported to Hilton HHonors on 12/16/14:

12/16/14 1042 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 2031 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 112 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER
12/16/14 40000 POINTS SENT TO PARTNER

I opened a case with Hilton referencing the specific credit card # and they gave me a case #.

I was told the normal 10 day BS , hopefully it gets resolved..............since it's 40K there should not be any confusion with past bonuses as the last few were 50K.

The Hilton rep from this forum is also helping me as I sent Erin an SM with the details
40K posted Sunday..............Hilton must have got better since hte 60K cards bonuses weren't posting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.