Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:06 pm

Just applied via link in Wiki.

My Citi cards open: 1 AA Exec, 1 AA Plat, 1 Double Cash recently converted from AA Plat, 3 HHonors. Closed: 1 AA Biz.

Read advice on lowering credit, but didn't want to wait for it to be back in the system with apparent writing on the wall, so decided to keep open, apply immediately, and try to move if needed.

Got pending. Called in to very nice agent. Told me they give me CL based on % of income. Number she said was my limit is about 25% of my income. I've changed jobs recently, so the number she gave is way lower than the combined CL on my cards listed above. She took about 30 seconds on hold to "add the numbers up and see what she could do". Came back and offered me 3k CL without lowering any other CL's, or 4k with moving 1k from another card.

About the million dollar question as of late, aka the bonus, I didn't ask. Didn't want to push my luck. I'll edit/update when I get the card with what the letter says I guess. She did see I had 3 Hilton cards though, as she was adding CL's up while reading the card names, and did not make me close any of them.

Will definitely lower CL as per advice the past ten pages asap on other cards.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by maverick17
Just applied via link in Wiki.

My Citi cards open: 1 AA Exec, 1 AA Plat, 1 Double Cash recently converted from AA Plat, 3 HHonors. Closed: 1 AA Biz.

Read advice on lowering credit, but didn't want to wait for it to be back in the system with apparent writing on the wall, so decided to keep open, apply immediately, and try to move if needed.

Got pending. Called in to very nice agent. Told me they give me CL based on % of income. Number she said was my limit is about 25% of my income. I've changed jobs recently, so the number she gave is way lower than the combined CL on my cards listed above. She took about 30 seconds on hold to "add the numbers up and see what she could do". Came back and offered me 3k CL without lowering any other CL's, or 4k with moving 1k from another card.

About the million dollar question as of late, aka the bonus, I didn't ask. Didn't want to push my luck. I'll edit/update when I get the card with what the letter says I guess. She did see I had 3 Hilton cards though, as she was adding CL's up while reading the card names, and did not make me close any of them.

Will definitely lower CL as per advice the past ten pages asap on other cards.
I think now that u were approved, you can call back and ask what is the bonus without any problem -I have done that many times in the past
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
I think now that u were approved, you can call back and ask what is the bonus without any problem -I have done that many times in the past
Yep. That's what I did yesterday. Call the same recon #; say you were recently approved and want to "confirm the terms of the offer".
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by maverick17
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Not sure if the CSR meant that the CL for you personally was 25% of your income or if the CSR was suggesting that is the general rule of thumb for everyone. I am quite sure that my wife and I have had total CL across all cards of at least 40% of stated yearly income.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
So-- based on WIKI link---

A) Can we get another card now with the bonus -even though have a few basic Hilton cards still open?

B) Can we still do 2 basic Hilton cards in the 8 day period and get the 2 bonus as in past --if -- use wiki

I know above is unknown -- so looking for input as still have 3 Hilton open and one Reserve that I am still doing spend on the Reserve -65 days have past for me and would like to get 2 more cards

link in Wiki looks like it is on life support -want to say proper good bye
I have 40K posting next week ( 40K plus $50 statement credit offer) and my fiance and I just got 50K cards.

I will update as to if the bonuses post

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes, that is correct. 1 VS mile to 1.5 hhonors points. I signed up for the 90k VS offer last week and have calculated that I will obtain 132k hhonors points
Is that 90K VS link still active ? Can you post it ?

I found the link, $12k spend in 6 months plus a $90 AF seems steep for 132K Hilton points and 15k of the 90K are paid a year later on account anniversary.

I'll wait until I know the churn is dead before I do anything but the Amtrak CC will get me the 20K HH points by spending $500 with no annual fee so I like that much better.

20,000 Flying Club bonus miles after your first retail purchase
50,000 additional Flying Club bonus miles after you spend at least $12,000 in qualifying purchases within 6 months of your account open date
Earn up to 15,000 additional bonus miles upon anniversary
Earn up to 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles when you add additional authorized users to your card

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 12, 2014 at 4:35 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq

Not sure if the CSR meant that the CL for you personally was 25% of your income or if the CSR was suggesting that is the general rule of thumb for everyone. I am quite sure that my wife and I have had total CL across all cards of at least 40% of stated yearly income.
You are correct. She made it sound as if they have a hard rule, but she did not claim it's the same level for everyone. She also did not give a %, she gave a number that I did the math on and it was ~25%. Also I am not saying I believe her, as my limit is over that number even before they offered me additional credit. Since some people are concerned about possible changes, I'm just relaying as much detail as I have.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I 15k of the 90K are paid a year later on account anniversary.
Not quite on the anniversary. They are given out after you pay the next years AF. So it costs you another $90 to get them. You would get 20K instead if you just canceled the old card, and applied for a new one, for the same $90. With, of course, the opportunity to get 50K more by spending $12K again, something which renewing the old card doesn't give you.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Not quite on the anniversary. They are given out after you pay the next years AF. So it costs you another $90 to get them. You would get 20K instead if you just canceled the old card, and applied for a new one, for the same $90. With, of course, the opportunity to get 50K more by spending $12K again, something which renewing the old card doesn't give you.
So that means two annual fees ($180) and Spending $12K to get 133K Hilton points ? I sure hope there is a better redemption than that somewhere.

I don't MS but could do $12k in 6 months but the offer would have to be MUCH better.

For a $89 AF and $1500 spend you could get 92K HH via the Hawaiian airlines card and Amtrak card
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:42 pm

I don't MS
There's the problem right there.

For a $89 AF and $1500 spend you could get 92K HH via the Hawaiian airlines card and Amtrak card
Who said you can't do it all?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:13 pm

There's the problem right there.

Who said you can't do it all?
I have plenty of credit to MS.................just no desire at this point as my $35K a year in legit credit card spending works thus far.

I got ~ 500K HH points last year for spending $9K and no annual fees.............more than enough for me and my wife got the same.

If they close the HH deal I may have to look at other avenues. I have read where Chase is making it harder and harder so with my luck by the time I decide to MS it would be over.

BTW, if you MS what was the big deal with risking $1000 on a HH card ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 12, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:22 pm

I have plenty of credit to MS.................just no desire at this point as my $35K a year in legit credit card spending works thus far.

I got ~ 500K HH points last year for spending $9K and no annual fees.............more than enough for me and my wife got the same.

If they close the HH deal I may have to look at other avenues. I have read where Chase is making it harder and harder so with my luck by the time I decide to MS it would be over.

BTW, if you MS what was the big deal with risking $1000 on a HH card ?
Wasn't a big deal. Just didn't want to waste my time if the offer was known to be dead. Other posters, whose posts have since been removed, made it into a "big deal".

And even MS is not free.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:01 pm

And even MS is not free.
Part of the fun for me is just about everything is really free.

I have paid 3 annual fees, 2 to get Companion pass and the IHG
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:14 pm

Referring to my last post, I have been getting 3-4 of these a year for two years. I currently have 3 open.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Referring to my last post, I have been getting 3-4 of these a year for two years. I currently have 3 open.
If you are within the time limits ( haven't had 2 citi cards in 65 days or so) to apply for another card in 8 days while you can get the 50K.

Unfortunately this churn is likely to end very soon.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
And even MS is not free.
There are several ways to MS that are virtually free. Especially Redbird, which lets you MS $60K a year per card. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.