Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 13, 14, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 21, 14, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
<SNIP>
Imagine my surprise when I got an email the yesterday from Citi Hilton HHonors Card entitled "Don't Let Your Special Offer Expire". It says:
<SNIP>
My wife and I got the same email for all three of our 60K HH cards, I think. I might have even gotten one of them after completing the spend. I lose track.
Old Nov 22, 14, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Imagine my surprise when I got an email the yesterday from Citi Hilton HHonors Card entitled "Don't Let Your Special Offer Expire". It says:

Dear sdsearch,

As a Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® cardmember, you're invited to make the most of the special promotional offer for using your card:

I've read (in other threads) of some people forgetting to do the minimum spend on a Citi card before, so I wonder whether this kind of "do the minimum spend before it's too late" reminder is a new practice at Citi?
Only if you apply with the name sdsearch...
Old Nov 22, 14, 8:42 am

Argh. Wife applied for a store credit card.

My wife let some cashier talk her into applying for store card (Nordstrom Rack) to get $20 off her purchase. I was days away from applying for her 4th Citi HHonors card. Now she's got 6 hard pulls in the last 6 months, so I'm not sure if I should wait another month or just take a chance on getting rejected for too many hard pulls. Citi already rejected her once earlier this year (but they've approved her for 3 cards since then).
Old Nov 22, 14, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge View Post
Only if you apply with the name sdsearch...
In case you haven't noticed, it's standard practice on FT, when posting an email you received that contains your real name, to substitute your FT handle for you real name (rather than saying <my name> or <name redacted> or something like that).
Old Nov 22, 14, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3 View Post
My wife let some cashier talk her into applying for store card (Nordstrom Rack) to get $20 off her purchase. I was days away from applying for her 4th Citi HHonors card. Now she's got 6 hard pulls in the last 6 months, so I'm not sure if I should wait another month or just take a chance on getting rejected for too many hard pulls. Citi already rejected her once earlier this year (but they've approved her for 3 cards since then).
Citi doesn't care how many hard pulls she has! Citi only cares how many hard pulls she has on whichever bureau Citi pulls. (They can't see hard pulls on bureaus they don't pull. And they never pull all three bureaus for one application.)

So do an inventory bureau by bureau of where those 6 hard pulls are showing. All 6 showing on one bureau? If so, it is the same bureau Citi has pulled for her in that past?
Old Nov 24, 14, 10:37 am

double post somehow
Old Nov 24, 14, 10:38 am

nevermind
Old Nov 26, 14, 6:21 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Did everyone who was waiting on their 2nd ( or more) 60K bonus get the points ?
Old Nov 27, 14, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Only for about the last 5 or 10 years, so it might be too soon to know for sure.

But if you have a working link for 60K, instead of 50K, please post it here.
Old Nov 27, 14, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge View Post
Only for about the last 5 or 10 years, so it might be too soon to know for sure.

But if you have a working link for 60K, instead of 50K, please post it here.
flyer4512 is referring to the posting problem that started toward the end of this summer, shortly before the 60k offer was pulled. There is no 60k offer now, but there was one for several months this summer.

In fact, I'm still (slowly, non-urgently) working on finishing the spend on the second card that I got under the 60k offer (since other spend bonuses came up in the meantime that didn't have 4 months like this card does). So I won't be able to how smoothly my second 60k posts for many weeks yet.
Old Nov 28, 14, 7:28 am

Citi doesn't care how many hard pulls she has! Citi only cares how many hard pulls she has on whichever bureau Citi pulls. (They can't see hard pulls on bureaus they don't pull. And they never pull all three bureaus for one application.)

So do an inventory bureau by bureau of where those 6 hard pulls are showing. All 6 showing on one bureau? If so, it is the same bureau Citi has pulled for her in that past?
That's a good point. I'll do that. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 14, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
I got mine without calling in October.
Old Nov 30, 14, 1:32 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Got 60K card mid Aug.
Got 2nd 60K card early Nov.
Reached & received bonus both.
Just now called to cancel 1st card.
(in preparation next apply)
Rep offered 750pt/mo x 12 & then 5K/$1K to NOT cancel.
THEN TOLD OF NEW POLICY = MAY NOT GET FUTURE BONUS
ON FUTURE NEW CARD IF WITHIN 18 MOS OF OLD BONUS!!!

I see nothing of this policy in thread's wiki.
Nor told this in ~3 yrs, ~8 successful citi HHonor cc bonuses.
Has this always been threatened-but-never-actuated?
Or truly a new reality???
Old Nov 30, 14, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer View Post
Got 60K card mid Aug.
Got 2nd 60K card early Nov.
Reached & received bonus both.

I think it's new. Citi has been gradually eliminating the churnability of their cards, and it appears HHonors may be next on the chopping block.

I just applied for my wife and myself on Friday. I'll report back if I get the bonus, but that won't be until the first statement closes.

Last edited by LWT3; Nov 30, 14 at 8:19 pm
Old Dec 1, 14, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer View Post

You need to put some things in perspective:

1. Citi reps talking about 18 months on any card is new. Even though that was the policy on AA cards for years and years, until very recently we didn't hear of any Citi rep mentioning 18 months.

2. It's not really 18 months. We know it's 12 to 18 to 26 months (on AA personal non-Exec cards), with "18" just being a peak of the bell curve. We don't know where Citi got that number to issue as a single number.

3. Notice they said "may". Or may not. Citi warns of all sorts of things left and right that don't actually work the way they warn.

4. Citi reps sometimes gets different cards confused. They may have just talked to someone else about an AA card and the system told them about 18 months, and then talked to you and assumed the same 18 months may apply.

5. So many things at Citi are YMMV, and you can never tell if what they're telling you applies to everyone, applies just to you, or is simply made up.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: