Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:01 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Happy
No. The real FICO score is the one from Equifax (MyFICO), which uses more stringent criteria.
They're both real. myfico is an older version (04) compared to barclays (08). The scoring criteria are different but both are valid FICOs and both are available to lenders. Obviously, Barclays is using the 08 for lending decisions. But any lender is allowed to use any version.

This table may be educational. It's an effort someone at myfico put together to try to list all known FICO versions, 49 of them: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...552457#M179124

All of those are real FICO scores.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
No. The real FICO score is the one from Equifax (MyFICO), which uses more stringent criteria.

BTW, you can pull a credit report for free each time after you make an application for credit - be it card / bank account / car loan ... any type of personal credit, within 60 days from the application date. Though one time EQ insisted I hadn't applied for any credit in the past 60 days and denied my request while in reality I had applied 2 cards from 2 different banks! EX system recognized that and issued the report.
How do I apply for the free report from EQ? I already have free access to Exp thru Target, and Credit Karma just gave me my HI list from TU. But I haven't seen anything from EQ. I just applied for 6 ccs this week, 5 already approved, USB on "further review". Surely some one pulled EQ, so I do call up and request my free report, or is there an online way to apply?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
How do I apply for the free report from EQ? I already have free access to Exp thru Target, and Credit Karma just gave me my HI list from TU. But I haven't seen anything from EQ. I just applied for 6 ccs this week, 5 already approved, USB on "further review". Surely some one pulled EQ, so I do call up and request my free report, or is there an online way to apply?
You can either get the annual free report from them if you have not used up your quota for the past 12 months.

Or if you have applied credit and the issuer pulled EQ, you can simply call the this number and follow the prompt

1-800-685-1111

Granted, last time despite I had EQ pulls, EQ insisted I have not applied any credit in the past 60 days and refused to give me a report - but it gave husband's report. Chase always pulls EQ on us. AMEX could be either way. I had Chase BA and AMEX SPG within the 60 days period. When I got my EX report, Chase BA was not there, so it definitely on EQ. Yet EQ insisted I didn't apply any credit in that period.

I always get paper reports within the last few days of the 60 days window. I have not used the online access. I am not concerned on the pulls. Never sign up for any FICO similation either. However having the paper report is good to see what the banks are doing, including the soft pulls they perform. And of course in the case of errors, it would be easier to spot, too.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
They're both real. myfico is an older version (04) compared to barclays (08). The scoring criteria are different but both are valid FICOs and both are available to lenders. Obviously, Barclays is using the 08 for lending decisions. But any lender is allowed to use any version.

This table may be educational. It's an effort someone at myfico put together to try to list all known FICO versions, 49 of them: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...552457#M179124

All of those are real FICO scores.
Thanks for the valuable info.

I read about the car dealers use the most lenient fico when it comes to dealer financing.

Our condo's association when approves applicants uses TU because it is the one used by the background check service that the condo has a contract with. In the association meeting there were residents protested using TU, claiming the criteria was less than using either EX or EQ. Unfortunately the condo could not terminate the contract with the security service nor has any say on which fico to use. (We got a lot of questionable, marginal buyers in the hey days of the housing bubbles and as you can imagine, the fall out was not pretty.)
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:14 pm

Just had a friend apply for the hilton card. She already had one hilton and one reserve card. She got both within last 70 days. When she called, they said she couldn't have more than 2 cards total. So she called again. This time she was told that she already had the hilton card and he knows that she wanted another card to just get the points again. So he didn't approve her. I told her to cancel one and wait a few days and call again. Anyone else having any problems? Are they cracking down on this? I have 3 hilton cards and 1 reserve card, and haven't had any problems. I also have an aa card.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lyst
Just had a friend apply for the hilton card. She already had one hilton and one reserve card. She got both within last 70 days. When she called, they said she couldn't have more than 2 cards total. So she called again. This time she was told that she already had the hilton card and he knows that she wanted another card to just get the points again. So he didn't approve her. I told her to cancel one and wait a few days and call again. Anyone else having any problems? Are they cracking down on this? I have 3 hilton cards and 1 reserve card, and haven't had any problems. I also have an aa card.
I'm guessing she was turned down online and that's why she called ?

Hopefully this is an isolated incident.

My last HH visa was 12/23 and I plan on getting another one in mid March.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Thanks for the valuable info.
That poster at myfico had a ton of valuable content... rather than take this thread off-topic, I continued discussion over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22437848-post115.html
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm guessing she was turned down online and that's why she called ?

Hopefully this is an isolated incident.

My last HH visa was 12/23 and I plan on getting another one in mid March.
When she submitted her application, it went to error. So she called to see if the app went through, before trying again.

Last edited by lyst; Mar 1, 2014 at 12:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
That poster at myfico had a ton of valuable content... rather than take this thread off-topic, I continued discussion over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22437848-post115.html
Final off-topic post on the topic of FICO.

Today I found out another interesting tidbit.

You know US Bank as well as CapOne now offer Experian FICO for free.

I already registered thru CapOne which sent an invitation email several weeks ago.

Today I was on US Bank site and decided to use their free FICO feature - to my surprise, Experian asked me to go thru the registration just like the CapOne did. But when I got to the final submission, it returned an error that there was already a registered user. OK, logged in under CapOne's set up directly on Experian and found the FICO stayed STATIC since the first time I saw it at least 3 weeks ago.

YET, this is the intrigue part - I applied BofA's AS card last Thursday. Got a single sheet approval letter and Fee schedule a few days later. In it, BofA informed me the decision was made based on Experian report and listed the FICO - which is HIGHER than what I saw a few weeks ago via CapOne route, and that was the same as what was shown via US Bank route today.

Given what I have just learned, the FICO used by BofA is most likely DIFFERENT from the one used by BOTH CapOne and US Bank as the "free" FICO and which not only remains STATIC but also LOWER than what BofA used when I applied the AS card by 10+ points!

So, it seems to me, this "free" FICO feature banks are using to lure customers is not accurate, and is really a gimmick in a way.

Oh, one more thing - Barclays / US Airway cards sent an email last week said Your FICO has changed. When I took a look, I could not really tell much of a difference (never remember the exact number but just a ball park - the new number does not look off line to me).

Then the reasons given below as paraphrased:

1) You do not have installment loans, therefore you do not demonstrate enough your ability to manage finance....

(Yeah, right. Our last mortgage was paid off 20 years ago in a span of 3 years out of a 15 years loan - I never saw the information ever listed on any report when I first looked at reports back in 2006, 2007 time frame. So, yup, that hurts. )

2) Your credit history is not long enough. Really?! I think the oldest cards still on the reports are like closed to 20 years old.

Luckily, FICO is not the For All and End All determinant for getting credit cards.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 1, 2014 at 12:29 am
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:26 am

Given what I have just learned, the FICO used by BofA is most likely DIFFERENT from the one used by BOTH CapOne and US Bank as the "free" FICO and which not only remains STATIC but also LOWER than what BofA used when I applied the AS card by 10+ points!

So, it seems to me, this "free" FICO feature banks are using to lure customers is not accurate, and is really a gimmick in a way.
I have seen it asserted here on FT -- sorry, can't recall which thread it was -- that the free Barclays FICO service is not a real-time FICO query. According to this source, it is updated at periodic intervals. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that other free FICO services operate in the same manner.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by beltway
I have seen it asserted here on FT -- sorry, can't recall which thread it was -- that the free Barclays FICO service is not a real-time FICO query. According to this source, it is updated at periodic intervals. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that other free FICO services operate in the same manner.
Yes, it's updated every 2 mos/60 days. I think you also have to have recent activity to see an update.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:04 pm

When she submitted her application, it went to error. So she called to see if the app went through, before trying again.
It's been 3 days and nobody else has reported this so hopefully it was just an isolated incident

Are you 100% sure that an agent really told her that and she just didn't get denied because she got denied ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
It's been 3 days and nobody else has reported this so hopefully it was just an isolated incident

Are you 100% sure that an agent really told her that and she just didn't get denied because she got denied ?
Her app when submitted did go to error. They told her they had her application, but 1st person said she couldn't have any more than 2 cards. Maybe she really didn't have 60 days from 1st 2 apps. However, the 2nd person didn't say she had too many apps in 60 days, but told her he knew she just wanted another card for the points. I will check with her again to see if she got someone else to approve her application. I also hope it was an isolated incident! She has been playing this game very cautiously, so interesting it happened to her.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:39 pm

Her app when submitted did go to error. They told her they had her application, but 1st person said she couldn't have any more than 2 cards. Maybe she really didn't have 60 days from 1st 2 apps. However, the 2nd person didn't say she had too many apps in 60 days, but told her he knew she just wanted another card for the points. I will check with her again to see if she got someone else to approve her application. I also hope it was an isolated incident! She has been playing this game very cautiously, so interesting it happened to her.

I have had 13 hh visa's in the last 2 years and currently have 3 open.

I'd say someone else would have reported this on some blog by now if they were denying multiple cards.

I imagine this game will end soon so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm applying the the 40k card with $50 Hilton credit in 2 weeks.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am on my second and traded the Executive for my third HHonors, so I'll be applying for my third HHonors in about 50 days... I'll report back when I do.

Regardless, has anyone had issues with Citi only posting 2x for CVS purchases? I was looking at my recent statement today and it seems that they have been doing this since my first statement of my first HHonors card. Hopefully a quick SM will cure it, but grrrr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.