Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I cannot think of any reason that Citi or the site operator would intend to offer discounts of this magnitude on tickets purchased with money. It is perfectly plausible that they intended to increase the redemption value of the points from $0.01 to (say) $0.0125, but because they allow mixed points + cash redemptions their implementation has an unintended effect.
A 25% discount actually means each point would be worth $0.0133.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dmitri
Yes, it does, and it still works. I purchased two tickets and got the 25% discount!

Also, in playing with the cash option, you can get the discount if you even use as little as 100 TYP.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Yes, and that's the value I have seen on my own exploration of the redemption engine, but my speculation is that (if anything) Citi only intends to raise the redemption value to $0.0125 to match American Express and Chase, but the implementation has been botched.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, and that's the value I have seen on my own exploration of the redemption engine, but my speculation is that (if anything) Citi only intends to raise the redemption value to $0.0125 to match American Express and Chase, but the implementation has been botched.
Is this only valid with PPE holders? or do the regular non-annual fee users also get this discount?

For those with copious amounts of flight points, it makes purchases go to 2.66 cents per dollar spent. If you spend on groceries or gas, it bumps up to 5.3 cents per dollar spent.

I wonder how long this will last.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this only valid with PPE holders? or do the regular non-annual fee users also get this discount?
My account, with the regular PP card without an annual fee, does not give the 25% discount. My husband's account, which has the Amex Platinum linked ($125 annual fee) along with a regular PP, gives the 25% discount.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

For those with copious amounts of flight points, it makes purchases go to 2.66 cents per dollar spent. If you spend on groceries or gas, it bumps up to 5.3 cents per dollar spent.

I wonder how long this will last.
Not very long as the point award on these will go down to 1.2 per $
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by f1ipper
it seems to let me add to the cart if I add a simple RT. dfw-mnl
It's not letting me do a Multi City, which is the same route as RT, just wanted a 4day stop in ICN.
I tried to book a multi-city trip in Asia too, I think one of the city in any segment has to be in US, so I was able to book: DFW-ICN and MNL-DFW as two multi-city segments. But it failed when you tried to add ICN-MNL segment in between, or even tried to book it as one-way. So, my theory is that it requires all segments have US city involved. I am not sure if this is the same experience other people have on this board.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
I am trying to buy WN tickets through the TYN portal now, and can get to the 25% off pricing page. Each time I click through to payment, the flights become "no longer available" - every single one.
Has anyone been successful with a WN purchase? If so, did you get a PNR?

And to add a layer, could you use CP with this ticket?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by FromPVG
So, my theory is that it requires all segments have US city involved. I am not sure if this is the same experience other people have on this board.
That has not been my experience.
I just purchased a TLV-DXB flight, and got the 25% off.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
The programmers messed up. They wrongly thought the 25% increment on the 0.01 means the same thing as a 25% reduction from the ticket price. Going up from a 1, does not equal to coming down from a 1, percentage-wise. I have seen people constantly trip on this type of math.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The programmers messed up. They wrongly thought the 25% increment on the 0.01 means the same thing as a 25% reduction from the ticket price. Going up from a 1, does not equal to coming down from a 1, percentage-wise. I have seen people constantly trip on this type of math.
And as long as it benefits us, we like that.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Happy
Is the Citi Prestige card to have a 15% (15 rather than 25 percent) reduction on all flight tickets? Then again, that is supposed to use "Spirit Incentives", which cannot be as good as this even at 15%.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is the Citi Prestige card to have a 15% (15 rather than 25 percent) reduction on all flight tickets? Then again, that is supposed to use "Spirit Incentives", which cannot be as good as this even at 15%.
15% applies when you call Spirit Incentives and use your TY credit card to pay for the trip. Here 25% applies when you use part or all of the TY points to pay for the trip, which is redeemed through thankyou.com.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:17 pm

Which credit card to charge?

If I want to pay part of the ticket price when redeeming TYP, do I have to use the registered ThankYou credit cards, or any card? When charged on credit card, does it show ThankYou/Citibank, or airline directly? I wonder if I should use my airline-affiliated credit card to pay for part of the ticket.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, United, Continental, USAir
Originally Posted by mia

Citi getting burned on thank you points for flights? Botching an implementation?
I'm stunned. Just stunned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.