Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Amex Vs Citi PremierPass Elite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Costco Amex Vs Citi PremierPass Elite

Although I have been very loyal to citi PP Elite cared for the last 3 years, I am completely unhappy with their customer service off late. Not posting the ThankYou points and Flight miles promptly and I am sick of calling their customer service. I still have 70000 flight points sitting in my account and I donno when I will match the purchase points to get ThankYou points. Since I don't make reservation for both air and hotel together, this card isn't suitable at all. We did a trip to Sri Lanka last December and the citi hasn't posted the flight points since then after using the citi PP Elite card to book the reservation online. They are still investigating. This is ~ 19000 miles per passenger, so it is 19000 flight points. I guess this is a good time to get out of this awful customer service card, but I need your advice.

Meanwhile, from the other post, I was recommended to use Costco TrueBlue Amex card based on my expenses:
My monthly expenses include
$1000 on hotels
$300 on restaurants
$200 on Costco/groceries (which may increase if I start to collect those hyatt gift certificates available at Costco)
$600 on rental cars
$100 on gas
(My air bookings are reserved from my company card, which I book through my company's travel agent)

Looks like I can earn Costco certificates more than the ThankYou points from citi PP Elite.
Before I can apply for TrueBlue card, kindly advise whether this is a wise move or am I better off with the citi PP Elite card?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gpp79
Since I don't make reservation for both air and hotel together, this card isn't suitable ...
This may be a side issue, but I don't understand this comment. The only benefit to booking air and hotel together would be if you purchased airfare through Expedia and you could earn one extra TYP per dollar. That wouldn't seem to be the core problem, which is that the Flight Points feature is too complicated for Citi to implement (or explain) reliably.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This may be a side issue, but I don't understand this comment. The only benefit to booking air and hotel together would be if you purchased airfare through Expedia and you could earn one extra TYP per dollar. That wouldn't seem to be the core problem, which is that the Flight Points feature is too complicated for Citi to implement (or explain) reliably.
Thanks Mia, sorry it wasn't clear. Yes, I don't make reservations through expedia. So far, I had made air reservations seperately and hotel reservations seperately and matched the flight points with my purchase points to give me ThankYou points
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by gpp79
Looks like I can earn Costco certificates more than the ThankYou points from citi PP Elite.
Before I can apply for TrueBlue card, kindly advise whether this is a wise move or am I better off with the citi PP Elite card?
You mean TrueEarnings card from Costco/Amex?
I'd say that both programs works for different people.
I never had any problem with PremirePass card's customer service and thankyou point posting but if you are completely unhappy with their customer service, it should be a reason alone to move to a different service in my book, especially if you are paying annual fee for it!
As for the reward program, it all depends on how much do you value our thankyou point, hotel points, airlines miles and how many point/how much cash back you can get per dollar spent in each spending category. I believe you have all the information you need to run that calculation on your own.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Costco Amex

Gotta love cashback at the end of the year!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
Costco Amex

Gotta love cashback at the end of the year!
Did you mean beginning of the year? Costco cashback cheecks come in February statement.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:14 am

I'd been using the regular Citi Premier Pass and since I don't book my own airfare except for personal trips I don't accrue many TYPs on it.

Also, when I do try to book airfare on it Citi and United go back and forth about why the card can't be properly authorized for the trip so I would just use my Hilton AMEX and have no issue.

I've mainly just been using TYPs for gift cards, but the $100 gift cards are now very few and far between so I'd rather just have costco cash. Plus I like the fact that it's a photo card.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Did you mean beginning of the year? Costco cashback cheecks come in February statement.
Costco Executive Members receive an additional check during their birthday month for their 2% rebate on Costco purchases.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:06 pm

You mean on COSTCO Amex card when they say 3% discount for COSTCO gas--it is not given/ deducted instantly, but later only once per year they send you a check?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by best
You mean on COSTCO Amex card when they say 3% discount for COSTCO gas--it is not given/ deducted instantly, but later only once per year they send you a check?
Costco True Earnings Amex rebate check does come once a year and is included in a February statement as I have posted above.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by best
Not a discount, cashback. It accumulates over the year and yes, a check is issued and can be redeemed at any Costco for cash.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by tondoleo
Costco Executive Members receive an additional check during their birthday month for their 2% rebate on Costco purchases.
Thanks for posting this. However, we do discuss here Costco Amex card vs Citi Premier Pass and my post above was in regards to Costco Amex card. Costco Executive 2% rebate does indeed come on your Costco membership renewal date and completely seperate from Costco Amex rebate.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the post. I have company car and I can't use Costco gas.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

BTW, how long will it take to get Costco Amex card? Do we get immeditate approval at store and will be able to use at once?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Just made a calculation. I earn 999000 ThankYou points through Citi premier pass elite card last 12 months (20000 points came from opening a checking account) Do you think I need to replace this one to Amex TrueBlue?
Do you think I can earn much bigger with Amex TB than the Citi PPE?
As stated above I still have 70 K TY points sitting in my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.