Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Continental promo: Chase is taking over my wallet - watch out, Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

I've noticed an interesting recent trend - my Chase credit cards are now taking over my wallet and my Citi cards are getting less and less use.

Chase seems to have a number of credit card promos going on to try to steal business away from other credit card companies.

Today I received an offer via US Mail for a promo on my Chase Continental card: bonus miles (up to 2500 per month) during April, May, and June depending on how many transactions I make per month with the card. The max bonus of 2500 miles per month (7500 over the 3 month period) is for 20 transactions per month or more. I assume that this is a targeted offer.

And I've also got a new (targeted) promo running on my Chase Marriott card (April, May, and June period). This is being discussed in the Marriott forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...isa-promo.html

And I've got a Chase BA card. I'm working on the initial promo for 100K BA miles, and I know that this card has a strong incentive to continue using it (charge $30,000 per calendar year in order to earn a companion certificate).

Citi has recently tightened things up. My Citi cards are getting less and less use.

These Chase guys may be pretty smart. They will be getting a far bigger piece of the action from my wallet. Citi is falling way behind....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:22 pm

Citi is winding down their credit card biz.

Only Citi card I still use is Forward for 5% on dining and amazon.com. Although ThankYou points continue to devalue, 5% can still get me some store gift cards.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
I agree. Chase is doing a good job marketing their point offer promotions. Citi will come around eventually.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:20 pm

I wish Chase was as loose with the approvals as Citi was. Churned AA for a year straight with no rejections, then Chase rejected my BA card in January (they didn't like all the new accounts from the past year). Now I have to wait another six months just to apply again. I like that Chase has a lot of variety. It' just going to take a while to get them all at this pace
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:26 am

I wouldn't write off Citi, just yet. You can always call in for an offer. @:-)
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Chase seems to have a number of credit card promos going...
Agreed. Last night received targetted offer from Chase Amazon.com VISA. Spend $10,000 in three months for 15,000 bonus points. (Points are convertible 1:1 to BA miles.)

Last edited by mia; Apr 1, 2010 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Chase Amazon.com VISA. (Points are convertible 1:1 to BA miles.)
Ok, that's very interesting. I don't know anything about the Amazon card. I tried looking for info on the web, and found this:

Earning and redeeming points
Black Amazon.com Visa Card: You earn three reward points for every dollar spent at Amazon.com and one point for every dollar spent anywhere else. For every 2,500 points accrued, Chase will mail you a $25 Reward Certificate at the end of your monthly billing cycle.

Blue Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card: You earn three reward points for every dollar spent on Amazon.com, 2 points for every dollar spent on eligible gas, dining, drugstore, and office supply purchases, and 1 point for every dollar on all other eligible purchases. Redemption options start at 2,500 points for a $25 Amazon.com gift card and include cash, other gift certificates, and travel options. For more details about the rewards available on the enhanced reward program, please visit www.chase.com/amazon or call 1-800-603-2265.

The term "travel options" isn't spelled out in greater detail.

I am aware that the Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA card builds points that can be transferred to certain programs. This is discussed in the following thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...edit-card.html
According to this thread, Sapphire transfers to:
1. Continental (1:1) or 10,000 pts per Continental Certificate for $100 Off the Purchase of Any Ticket of $299 or More or 2500 points will buy you a one day pass to Presidents Club.
2. British Airways (1:1)
3. Marriott (1:1) or 2500 points will get you $25 certificate, $50-5000 points and $100-10000 points
4. IHG (1:1)

Can you point me to information that explains how the Amazon card transfers to other travel programs? Also, is there a fee for transfers (similar to the AmEx Membership Rewards program)?

You can't churn Chase cards, but there seem to be a lot of different flavors of Chase cards available.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:40 am
mia

Chase Amazon.com VISA rewards catalog is here:

https://www.choosemyrewards.com/Medi...onConsumer.pdf

BA is the only points-to-miles transfer partner. There is no fee for the transfers, but they must be made in blocks of 5,000.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA
I know this is a three month old thread, but I have to second this sentiment.

I went from 2 citi cards in my wallet as primary AA MC / AA Amex to none, and now I have none {cards have been cancelled}

I got the BA Chase to get the 100K and I am using it as my primary card because I want to get a r/t to Europe in first class and some of them are up to 150K.

Then a couple of months ago I got the United Visa.

Then last week I got the Continental Visa {figured they will be combined and I might as well get another first class r/t}

Strangely enough Chase called me about the United Visa because I got it within 6 months of the BA Visa, but I got no call about the Continental
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:57 pm

If my service at Chase wasn't so darn messed up I would have maybe 3 cards with them, but time and time again their 'customer service' is horrid. I still have one but that's only because I was grandfathered into the 5% cash back for everyday purchases.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I had to dig this thread up...for years the only Chase card I had was the Marriott Premier as I was anti Chase as they come...now along with said card, I have a chase mortgage (WAMU), the Chase Freedom, a checking account, Chase Real cash (may convert to CO) debit card and Chase One Pass (au on wife's account). I have always been a Citibank guy, but now the only Citibank card I have is the PPE. Come on Citi - step up your game.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:34 pm

I agree. The wife had 0 miles with CO and UA. Now, 2 cards and 1 checking account later, she is closing in on 100K. Plus she got the BA card. So she is in for 2 trips to europe in business without leaving the couch.

BTW, the closest Chase branch to us is 3 hours away.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
So she is in for 2 trips to europe in business without leaving the couch.
How will she get to Europe without leaving the couch?? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Last edited by mia; Nov 28, 2010 at 4:23 am Reason: Fix quotation
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: UA, AA
My feeling exactly. Chase is taking over my wallet (and my money)!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:45 pm
mia

Ironically, it appears Chase is targeting American Express and the other credit card factories are simply caught in the crossfire. It's not surprising that Bank of America and Citi are not as aggressive - they can't afford it at this stage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.