Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citibank - the jig is up...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:13 pm

Hope it's not dead as I was hoping to go for cards 7 and 8 soon. Good while it lasted though. OW190C for pretty much nothing.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
I've churned WN and US cards. Sometimes there's an annual fee to pay. Maybe you're just thinking of UA and CO.
Can you provide more details? For the US cards, have you applied for multiple of the same card, and if so, which card and how often?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chuckd
Hope it's not dead as I was hoping to go for cards 7 and 8 soon. Good while it lasted though. OW190C for pretty much nothing.
Me too. I'm a newcomer to this though so I've only done 3 cards so far... I recently transferred some miles to HHonors for a stay since I was anticipating that I would be getting more miles from cards than I'd be able to use. Now I wish I hadn't since they'd be more valuable as miles.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Can you provide more details? For the US cards, have you applied for multiple of the same card, and if so, which card and how often?
2 cards a year apart. I also got their "professional" card which is like a business card. For WN, I had 2 of the same cards at once. It was actually a mistake. However, I canceled them and got a 3rd one a year later.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
While it seems that Citi has set themselves up for a dramatic change in the status quo, perhaps there will be an interim period where their IT systems and T&Cs don't fully mesh up...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
2 cards a year apart. I also got their "professional" card which is like a business card. For WN, I had 2 of the same cards at once. It was actually a mistake. However, I canceled them and got a 3rd one a year later.
But how recently was this? Remember, everything that is being discussed here as possibly "no longer working" at Citi was working fine just a few months ago (2 cards eveyr 60ish days for many people!). At this point, "a few months" ago is an eternity ago!

And with US, with which bank? They used to have two banks, but do they still? At any rate, both their banks have tightened up (in other ways) in recent months, so I wouldn't be confident that something that worked a year or even half a year ago there would still now.

Finally, "churning" means applying for cards over and over again. 2 cards in a lifetime is just barely touching the start of churning, and it could be some banks allow two instead of one. But asking "whether churning works" means whether you can keep going over and over and over and over, not just do it twice. (Tho obviously if you can't even do it twice then you won't be able to do it more than twice, so twice is nevertheless a useful datapoint.)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But how recently was this? Remember, everything that is being discussed here as possibly "no longer working" at Citi was working fine just a few months ago (2 cards eveyr 60ish days for many people!). At this point, "a few months" ago is an eternity ago!

And with US, with which bank? They used to have two banks, but do they still? At any rate, both their banks have tightened up (in other ways) in recent months, so I wouldn't be confident that something that worked a year or even half a year ago there would still now.

Finally, "churning" means applying for cards over and over again. 2 cards in a lifetime is just barely touching the start of churning, and it could be some banks allow two instead of one. But asking "whether churning works" means whether you can keep going over and over and over and over, not just do it twice. (Tho obviously if you can't even do it twice then you won't be able to do it more than twice, so twice is nevertheless a useful datapoint.)
About 12 months ago. With US it is Bank of America.

Your argument about "anything from 2 months ago" goes both ways. Has someone reported that you can't get more than 1 bonus per card type per person for Chase BA, Chase WN, BOA US, and all the others? I don't think so. In the last 12 months I've only heard about CO, UA, and now maybe AA.

It seems like the claim "churning is over" is a generalization. Also some cards don't waive the annual fee, so few people try churning them in the first place.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:33 pm

What are your thoughts on churning the AA card with the annual fee. I know it's not ideal but to get some points I'm willing to pay the annual fee. I hope CandymanJim is correct that we're all panicking for nothing. If the end comes I'm looking at other options.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by lkohawaii
What are your thoughts on churning the AA card with the annual fee. I know it's not ideal but to get some points I'm willing to pay the annual fee. I hope CandymanJim is correct that we're all panicking for nothing. If the end comes I'm looking at other options.
You can always purchase 25,000 AA miles for $625.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lkohawaii
I tend to believe that Citi will pull all the first year free offers by the end of the year. The AMEX / MC expires the end of this month and the Visa the end of December. They may let the AMEX / MC go until the end of the year to match the Visa offer, but only time will tell on that. The reason that I believe Citi will not extend the first year free is because all, or most of their competition charges for the first year. Sure, they MAY lose some business but they will not need to pay out all the bonus points. All depends on their market strategy.

As for paying the annual fee, you may not be able to churn even by paying the fee. If you look at the wording in the "new" description, it states: "This American Airlines AAdvantage® miles offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers. Since none of us would be "first time cardmembers", we probably would not qualify. Again, it depends on how they have their computers set up on the review. Does the computer look for any ACTIVE cards, or any past cards? Again, we will only know once someone has tried. If they do just go on ACTIVE cards, I think the $85 is cheap for 25 or 30K miles.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by jaymar01
You can always purchase 25,000 AA miles for $625.
Or worse, I may have to actually buy a ticket to go somewhere!

I wouldn't even know how to do that since all my family, extended family and friends have traveled all over the world for the past 19 years on miles (2.8 million, thats just AA)

Jim
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:33 pm

I'm sure most of you know this but you really don't have to have a business to apply and receive a business card so that is an extra card ( and miles) you can get from AA, Delta, United, American, etc.

I appied and recieved the MArriot card 5 times and got the bonus each time however I opened 5 different marriot rewards accounts to do this . I applied for a 6th card and used an existing marriot rewards account number and was denied the free night certificate but received the miles , which i was told I wouldn't because I had already used the offer.

I have 5 united cards all linked to different mileage plus numbers that received the 25 or 30K signup and no annual fee.

Even though cards are linked by SS # it seems opening new reward accounts fools them or at least it worked for me.

BTW did the same thing for Northwest when it had it's own card,
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
This thread was getting me a little nervous and curious so I went ahead and jumped a little ahead of schedule in getting my next Citi AA card and applied today (It's been about 70 days since my last approval) under the same 30,000 offer link as before: Instant approval.
So my question is, does this approval necessarily validate the bonus miles offer that goes along with the card or could it be a case of approving the card but not the bonus miles a la' the new wording?
Guess I'll find out eventually...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by brasov02
This thread was getting me a little nervous and curious so I went ahead and jumped a little ahead of schedule in getting my next Citi AA card and applied today (It's been about 70 days since my last approval) under the same 30,000 offer link as before: Instant approval.
So my question is, does this approval necessarily validate the bonus miles offer that goes along with the card or could it be a case of approving the card but not the bonus miles a la' the new wording?
You are golden. The issue at hand is the current applications expire on 11/30 and 12/31 and the ones that expire later than that have wording that may lead to only one bonus per FIRST TIME Citibank AA member.

Today there is nothing to stop applyng using the applications we have all used. It is the next month+ that we are all worried about.

Jim
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by brasov02
You will get the bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.