Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Citibank AAdvantage card & miles already posted to AAdvantage account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Citibank AAdvantage card & miles already posted to AAdvantage account

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR

Sorry if this is addressed in another thread or if I am using the wrong forum. I searched the forums and read through a lot of posts, but I didn't see a clear answer to my specific question.

I have had a Citibank AAdvantage platinum level Mastercard (personal) for just over two years. I just received the statement that assessed my 3rd year annual fee, which I do not want to pay (it is just not worth it to me to spend $85 for this card). So, I am planning to cancel the card, but I will keep it if they offer me a credit to offset the annual fee like they did last year.

My question is about what happens to the points I earned (from purchases and a 10,000 point bonus) in the same statement cycle that assesses the annual fee (both the bonus points and annual fee were posted on the last day of the statement period). These points have already been posted in my American AAdvantage account, but I wanted to know if they would be taken away if I cancel the credit card.

I would be very interested in hearing what experiences others in this situation have had.

Oh, and if AA is likely to take the last month of points away if I close my account, could I keep them by converting my account to the "bronze" account that I have seen mentioned here that has no annual fee?

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Once the points are in your account they will stay there. If you cancel, they will make an adjustment on your billing regarding the annual fee but those fees, I don't believe, earn any points.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold
how long does it take for the miles to post to your account for the initial bonus?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by deant
Once the points are in your account they will stay there. If you cancel, they will make an adjustment on your billing regarding the annual fee but those fees, I don't believe, earn any points.
Yup, I second that. Fees do not earn points. And they will not take away the points that have already posted when your last statement closed. You have nothing to worry.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by goodtricks
how long does it take for the miles to post to your account for the initial bonus?
In most cases, the miles will post within 2 business days after the close of your statement in which you have met your bonus spend threshold.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:57 pm

The miles post to the account on the statement date and are sent to AA on that date. The annual fee can be cancelled for a full refund up to 35 days after it posts to your statement. So even if the annual fee is one month (30 days) ahead of your bonus miles - you can still get the miles and not pay the annual fee. I know from experience because this just happened to me in September.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify the timing, my credit card statement closing date was 10/16, and the transaction dates for the annual fee and the bonus also were 10/16. I was able to see all the miles (bonus and credit card transactions for the statement period) in my AA account by 10/20.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by needtoescape
Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify the timing, my credit card statement closing date was 10/16, and the transaction dates for the annual fee and the bonus also were 10/16. I was able to see all the miles (bonus and credit card transactions for the statement period) in my AA account by 10/20.
And that makes it 2 business days to see them in your AA account. You can also see the miles that you can expect to post on your AA account as soon as the statement closes. This you can see on the pdf statement in your online account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.