Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Inn of Chicago (Ascend Collection) Review Anyone?

Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Anything CC gives me

Anyone had any experience staying at the Inn of Chicago? Looking at 2 nights for a weekend in June. Going rate for King is 219 whereas only 20000 points per night. With the Discover America promo, using points makes it dirt cheap, but trip advisor reviews seem sub-par. Anyone stayed there recently?

I did notice they offer "newer" rooms for each class, probably means they were renovated recently? Not sure if the differences are that great.

Anyone comments appreciated.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:29 am

I stayed here a couple of years ago. Great location, rooms were clean but quite small. It was a good deal for us, since we spent little time in our room.

With all my purchased Choice points I'm planning to go back.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:07 pm

Ha, I was also looking into redeeming my points in Chicago. I was looking at the comments in Kayak and indeed they're not very good for this property. Both Comfort Inn & Suites and Comfort Suites have much better reviews and even though they cost 25k points vs 20k, I think they might be a better choice. Any other opinions?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by booyaa
Anyone had any experience staying at the Inn of Chicago? Looking at 2 nights for a weekend in June. Going rate for King is 219 whereas only 20000 points per night. With the Discover America promo, using points makes it dirt cheap, but trip advisor reviews seem sub-par. Anyone stayed there recently?

I did notice they offer "newer" rooms for each class, probably means they were renovated recently? Not sure if the differences are that great.

Anyone comments appreciated.
Here's a review of the nearby Comfort from VolFanDave in the property review thread:

Originally Posted by VolFanDave
Rooms here are like apartments-we arrived early into town and just wanted to drop off our bag, but were given the key to a corner suite that blew us away! Platinum status is paying off! Huge living area with floor to ceiling windows, full kitchen, washer and dryer-it far exceeded our expectations. Great views of Michigan Avenue in both directions. It was also next door to a Chipotle ^!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I spend a week-end in Chicago in December, one night at the inn of Chicago, one night at the Comfort Suite.

Inn of Chicago : the great "pro" of this hotel is the location : it is very very well situated, very close to "Magificent Mile", and not far from the loop. Easily accessible by subway too. The hotel himself is ok : bed are very comfortable, room are clean. But I find that in a such good place, they could do better as they do. The decoration is quite old, nothing special for the bathroom (just a "choice" standard bathroom, just clean). I think, they could really do a very original and "boutique" style hotel. They also suffer of a lack of restaurant, but you can easily find what you want in the area. Price for quality is still good, but not impressive.

Comfort Suite : I was supposed to stay at the W City Center the second night, but when I saw a rate at 60 or 70$ a suite in the Comfort Suite, I changed my mind. And, this time, we were absolutely amazed by the suite . We had a big corner suite, with view on Michigan Avenue (you can see the Michigan River and a small part of Millennium park from the room), fully equipped. As the building is not very big, there is just 5 suites per floor and of course 4 are corner suites. So the suite was big, clean, comfortable and with that, you also have the (standard) continental breakfast ! Note that you have nothing to do in the hotel outside the suite (no bar, no restaurant, no real lobby), but with a such suite, you just don't want to go out So for this rate, quality for price is just amazing ! (I even thought it was an error fare, but it doesn't seem to). Even for the more standard rate of 100$ I will stay here again.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:58 pm

I stayed at the Inn of Chicago in April, 2011, for 16,000 points as opposed to 25,000 for the Comfort Suites. The Inn was clean, but the decorations dated and the rooms small. Even the corridors were narrow. Although I can't complain about how I was treated, I do wish I had stayed at the Comfort Suites instead. With a differential of only 5,000 points now, my decision would be even easier.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:38 pm

I was here last weekend. No frills, no real complaints. Some things to be aware of:

1. No bathroom counter. The sink is standalone (and no, I was not in an accessible room). Instead, two small wall-mounted shelves. Men can make do with their razor and toothpaste, but women, good luck with hair appliances and long makeup routines.

2. 60/40 cotton/polyester bed linens. Passable -- I slept well -- but comfort is a very far cry from beds at hotels that may be only slightly more expensive. When I booked, the Palmer House was $10/night more.

3. Tiered internet pricing which tops out at 2Mbps. Better use Personal Hotspot.

4. Front desk staff were warm, but bellhops seemed cold, distant, arrogant. I didn't use them; they just seemed that way. A vague critique, I know, but in the hospitality industry, feelings and perceptions matter.

5. Restaurants aren't allowed to deliver to your room; you have to pick up orders at the front desk.

Last edited by davie355; Feb 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was there a couple months ago myself, here's a link to my review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23952655-post197.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.