Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Preferred Hotel "Enhancement" - increased points

Old Jun 3, 09, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Not enough to count anymore

Looks like choice has increased the rates for preferred hotels AND took even more properties away for possible redemptions.

New rates are 30,000; 45,000; and 60,000 points a night. A quick glance at the hotel lists show that at least 2 hotels I have stayed in the last year at the 50,000 point level are no longer available even at the new higher rate. These include:

Preferred - mauna Lani - Kona, hawaii
Preferred - Parco De Principi - Rome, IT
Preferred - Le Tremoille - Paris, FR

Not to mention they STILL list Cancun as a top redemption location when no property, Choice or Preferred, is even available now for points redemption. False advertising anyone???

With the continued devaluing of the Preferred program, I think I am going to re-evaluate my Diamond status.

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-....o9y_SgdqMi.10
Old Jun 4, 09, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't say I'm surprised given the Choice Australia/NZ point increases:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...w-zealand.html

I've already set CP to full burn mode. No more earnings there for me.
Old Jun 5, 09, 3:31 pm

Programs: Airtran Elite, National Car Exec Elite, Choice Hotels Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by cell7481 View Post
A quick glance at the hotel lists show that at least 2 hotels I have stayed in the last year at the 50,000 point level are no longer available even at the new higher rate.
Yeah, I noticed the Mauna Lani being gone as well. But to at least partially compensate, the Ko'a Kea on Kauai became available, as did the Cap Maison in St. Lucia and the Gansevoort Turks & Caicos.

All of these are newly opened since December. In general, there seems to be a trend of new Preferred properties being available for a year, and then becoming unavailable through the Choice program.

I'm not too happy about the "enhanced" rate, either, but to me Preferred redemptions still seem to offer good relative value.

As a case in point, I booked a Preferred hotel for three nights in July for 60,000 Choice points a night. The hotel's Web site quoted $940 (about $313 a night) for the stay.

To me, that implies a value of about one-half cent per Choice point. Since 5 Choice points can be exchanged for one airline mile, the effective redemption rate is about 2.6 cents per "mile", with (in my experience) much better availability for Preferred rooms than for airline tickets at comparable mileage rates.

Last edited by MikeInMass; Jun 5, 09 at 3:38 pm Reason: misread rate, corrected some figures

Search this Thread