Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Elect airline FF credit ...still receive a stay credit?

Old May 31, 09, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

Between Freeville and the Gas Card promos, I switched my preference to directly earn .5 Southwest RR credit per stay. I had one stay. The .5 RR credit posted in My Southwest, but there is no record of the stay in my ChoicePrivileges account, and it did not add to my tier status count. Is this common practice? Do we not earn a stay credit?

I've been having what seems like a "Who's on first" email conversation with CP staff, today (who are very prompt in responding, as usual ). They just keep saying, in different ways, "You can't earn points in two programs". This isn't about the points. I think we've given up on each other, at least until I can call tomorrow. (Today's Sunday -- which probably explains both sides of the conversation.)

Thank you.

Last edited by Firewind; May 31, 09 at 3:24 pm
Old Jun 1, 09, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure my one airline-credit stay (for NWA Pile on the Miles which requires activities with different partners) recently did increment my tier count, but it didn't show up anywhere else on the Choice site.

I know that in previous years I've gotten to Diamond only because miles-earning nights were counted. I had to call Choice to get that count (this was before their tier counter online), because there was no other way to verify if I had enough nights.

With all the bonuses this year, though, I'm about to get to Diamond requal soon anyway, so to me personally this year it doesn't matter in the long run whether my miles-earning nights counted.
Old Jun 1, 09, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Unhappy

This was the final reply today:

"At this time, your Current Elite Nights are at 15. In order for the stay to count towards your status you need to earn Choice Privileges Points.

Choice Service Center"

[Bolding theirs.]

Unfortunately, the penny doesn't fall our way, this time.

It runs counter to any hotel program I am familiar with.
Old Jun 2, 09, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
This was the final reply today:

"At this time, your Current Elite Nights are at 15. In order for the stay to count towards your status you need to earn Choice Privileges Points.

Choice Service Center"

[Bolding theirs.]

Unfortunately, the penny doesn't fall our way, this time.

It runs counter to any hotel program I am familiar with.
Isn't the #1 FT rule that "if you don't like the answer you get, call again"? But how do you "call again" if you're emailing?

I just counted. Adding up the nights on my Recent Statements (1st Q plus Current Activity) I get to 34. I had one stay in early January (before the first promo) where I earned miles, and one stay in May (between promos) where I earned miles. And, voila, my online counter says 36.

However: I don't know how quickly that online counter updated. In particular, to some airlines, including NW (my last transfer), Choice only does the transfer once a month, and I think it may not update the counter until it's done the transfer to the airline.
Old Jun 29, 09, 1:24 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I've made (mostly useless) Choice Gold two years running with 10 stays/year without a single Choice Rewards points posting, as I've always had them go to airline miles.

Stays booked through one of the Choice Hotels websites definitely count for stay credit while you earn airline miles, if you book them while logged in with your Choice Rewards# with your profile set to earn on your preferred airline before you book the stay. They don't show up after the stay in "Stay Activity" but they do increment your Stays counter for Status.

Perhaps if you just give your FF# at the front desk, it doesn't count for credit because the hotel just puts in your FF#. The critical thing is to have your profile set up in advance for the airline you want, before you book.

Search this Thread