Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Barceló: New point redemption option

Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know anything about Barceló and I haven't examined the properties to know if this is a good deal or not, but Choice announced in an email I received a new redemption option.

One night at Barceló properties can be had for 10,000 points (low season) or 16,000 points (high season: December 19-1 April) plus $35/per person ($25 under 12) for the all-inclusive food & beverage service.

Reservations must be made through the Choice call center.

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels...Barcelo-Choice
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
I seen this last night as well. I looked deeper into this offer in Mexico and it seems it is for some of their lower end properties. However, that said 70,000 points and $490 seems like a pretty good deal for a decent all-inclusive property in Mexico. Comparing it to 50,000 points/night for some of the Preferred Hotels puts it in a little better perspective. I'll likely take advantage of this partner offer.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I have just been doing a preliminary analysis of the Barcelo and Preferred Hotels redemption opportunities along with the 3 stays and 14,000 points promotion. I plan to post this deal on my blog tomorrow.

Looks like a good deal for me. All-inclusive hotels I checked in the Dominican Republic and Mexico looked to have rates from $150 to $200 per day for December 1-5, 2009. Two adults will need to pay 10,000 points + $70 per day for the all-inclusive meals and drinks.

10,000 points in low season now through December 18, 2009. 16,000 points in high season from Dec 19 to April 1, 2010.

Using Choice points for a Barcelo redemption is a better value than the $50 hotels gift card.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:12 pm

Barcelo is a Spanish chain similar to Iberostar and RIU. I was quite shocked that redemption's were only 10K (off peak) plus the $35 supplement. I found the supplement a bit odd, but it is what it is.

Not all Barcelo's are participating.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:45 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

This actually seems like a neat use of points. Will have to check it out.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Morons at Choice hotel

Called Choice to inquire about availability for Barcelo. Here is the result:
1st call - transferred to listen to sales pitch on shoppers advantage
2nd call - told that I should call hotel myself
3rd call - told that I can check reward night availability myself - which is not true.
4th call - transferred to some Joe who has to contact representative of Barcelo but refused to do so. Demanded that I have enough points in order to make reservation. Even though I was not making a reservation - I wanted to check availability. He said - there is no need to waste their time! Supervisor stated the same.

Isn't it ridiculous for reps to decide for you whether you need to know info or not?! It is like telling someone that I will not tell you the rate until you show me the money even though you only at this point want to find out what rate it is.

what a bunch of morons who doesn't comprehend their own language.

PS sorry, I am blowing off my frustration
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: MP Premier Exec, HH Silver, SPG, MR, CP-D, AGR S+
Re:Morons at Choice Hotels

Their agents are usually quite good, but I have had the occasional bad experience as well.

Did you call the Choice Privileges call center or the general reservation line?
I ask because as far as I know, the Barcelo relationship is only part of the Choice loyalty program and the general call center folks might not know about it.
Not an excuse for them acting rudely however.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
dagnemo,

all of my previous experience with Choice were fine until I inquired about their partner Barcelo. The number I called is the one they list to make a booking. Supposedly, Choice contacts their rep with Barcelo, but supervisor accidently stated that their own rep does it. When I questioned her, she once again stated the same and once I told her - then why is your rep lying to me, her story changed - the rep has to contact Barcelo. What the truth is I still don't know. (((
Old Jul 10, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
The traditional price option for Barcelo awards:
Reward nights start at 10,000 points per day for the room, plus $35 per person and day ($25 under the age of 12) for the all-inclusive package (food and beverage service)

Low season -- 10.000 Points per room night*
High season** -- 16.000 Points per room night*

Additional new price option for Barcelo awards:
Reward nights are available for 20,000 or 25,000 points for the room,
including pre-paid food and beverage service.

Low season -- 20.000 Points per room night
High season** -- 25.000 Points per room night.

**High season from 18 December 2010 through 06 May 2011
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:17 pm

hmmmm

then they changed their high season to end may 6th?....not that it matters april is spring break time and unless you can put up with noisy drunk kids until 4 in the morning then May is better. The 10/16k rates were standard and one of the reasons i bought points during the discoveramerica promotion. the points cost $35 for 10k so I was looking at $105 for all inclusive for me and the wife...with new rates it comes down to $70...awesome.
One of the things I like is that the 10k is for the room and single travelers like my brother would only have to pay $35 and the 10k instead of the usual ripoff of paying double price for staying by yourself.
I have stayed at the Barcelo Cancun once before they bought it and twice after they bought it. It is not a bad mid grade AI, think Riu in terms of quality. It is located near the bridge to the lagoon and the pirate dinner cruise leaves from next door. They dont have much of a beach, or waves, but the location makes for lots of boat watching as they all come past hotel to dock for the evening. Barcelo Tucancun is farther down and actually has a beach with good wave action. though neither have great reviews, they are great for the price and usually run $80-$100 pp/pn.

Last edited by wise2u; Jul 13, 2010 at 5:20 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:34 pm

advance time limit?

I read that you have to wait until 30 days out to use points to reserve a hotel (40 days for gold members). Does this apply to the Barcello as well?
am tempted to be guinea pig and get FF ticket dates lined up for Dec and try for res......maybe by the end of the month.....unless someone knows for sure?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
What do the T&Cs of the program say?

Originally Posted by wise2u
The 10/16k rates were standard and one of the reasons i bought points during the discoveramerica promotion. the points cost $35 for 10k so I was looking at $105 for all inclusive for me and the wife...with new rates it comes down to $70...awesome.
Exactly! ^ $37.50 per person! (points were 0.375 cents each from DiscoverAmerica)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.