Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Can I redeem my Choice Program points for someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT

Thanks, I did not find under T&C of the program.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you mean, can you redeem an award for someone else, the answer is yes.

I have done it. Probably best to work through the customer service folks rather than directly from the website, and you will typically have to call the hotel to give them the name(s) of whoever will be staying there.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by BigLar
If you mean, can you redeem an award for someone else, the answer is yes.

I have done it. Probably best to work through the customer service folks rather than directly from the website, and you will typically have to call the hotel to give them the name(s) of whoever will be staying there.
I also have done it. I booked through the website & then added the other person's name in the comments. Then I called the hotel the day before to make sure everything was OK with no problems.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
perfect, thanks a lot!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:51 am

And keep us posted with your experience as this is a kind of shady area which still needs more input.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maulah
And keep us posted with your experience as this is a kind of shady area which still needs more input.

Not shady at all. No more so than with Marriott, Hilton, SPG, etc. We (on FT) just have had little experience with it, that's all.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:24 pm

Can I use my Choice points to top off a family member's Southwest account? We have the same last name. I'm guessing the answer is "no," but the Choice T&C don't seem to address this. Thanks!

(Edited to add: I found some related discussion in the WN forum, although not a real answer. http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....postcount=1124 )

Last edited by rrgg; May 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm
Old May 8, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I have the same question, but wanted a more recent reply, rather than a 15 year old one.. Can I use my Choice Hotel points to book for someone else?
Old May 9, 2023, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I do it very often. I list a checking-in guest’s name in the comments section when making the booking, and they check in by giving the reservation info per the name on my account and say they are listed as the guest checking in on the comments section of confirmation #_________.
Old May 10, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: HH + IHG DIA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I do it very often. I list a checking-in guest’s name in the comments section when making the booking, and they check in by giving the reservation info per the name on my account and say they are listed as the guest checking in on the comments section of confirmation #_________.
I have a high balance of choice points left over and fear changes by the Nordic Choice Hotels rebranding. So I thought about inviting a good friend and his girlfriend on a roadtrip. Is it fine if I book a room with points for both and just indicate one guest checking in on the comments section? I mean a hotel usually cannot control if or which second persons sleeps in the room.

What I mean is that if you book a room for one friend and you let them know that he/she checks in and you won't show up, then this is fine. But booking for 2 others is a little difference but I suspect that you will be fine as well.

GUWonder I tried to send you a private message but it was denied since your storage is full.

Last edited by SlowTraveler123; May 10, 2023 at 6:32 am
Old May 11, 2023, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SlowTraveler123
I have a high balance of choice points left over and fear changes by the Nordic Choice Hotels rebranding. So I thought about inviting a good friend and his girlfriend on a roadtrip. Is it fine if I book a room with points for both and just indicate one guest checking in on the comments section? I mean a hotel usually cannot control if or which second persons sleeps in the room.

What I mean is that if you book a room for one friend and you let them know that he/she checks in and you won't show up, then this is fine. But booking for 2 others is a little difference but I suspect that you will be fine as well.

GUWonder I tried to send you a private message but it was denied since your storage is full.
The inbox gets filled almost as fast as I open spots, so sorry about the inconvenience of it being full.

I have my own concerns about the Nordic Choice transition to Strawberry, as a major redeemer of Choice points for these Nordic Choice Hotels.

If you are talking about using these points in the Scandinavian properties — and I don’t yet know how it will go 2 weeks from now — I can say how it has gone for me this week and for all the previous times when I’ve been using Choice US points for these Scandinavian properties to book rooms for others to check in on their own.

Scenario:

I want to redeem points from my account for family ABC where ABC and DEF are spouses traveling with their older teenage children UVW and XYZ but requiring two rooms due to occupancy/bedding limits.

My action:

Make reservation 1 under Choice US account member’s name but in the comments section I say something like this while making the reservation online: “ABC is guest checking in; one of two separate reservations for the night(s)”. Immediately print out/screenshot the reservation with the additional notes/comments section included. Then I make reservation 2 under Choice account member’s name and in the notes section say something like this “ABC and DEF checking in; reservation 2 of 2 for additional room.” Also, immediately print out/screenshot the reservation with the additional comments section included. Give the printouts and marked up screenshots to the guests checking in.

My guests’ actions:

When the guest shows up at the Scandinavian hotels they show the reservation email printouts with my name circled in red pen ink along with a red pen ink circle around who is to check in.

I have yet to have a problem doing this for those I put up in hotels when visiting these Scandinavian properties, and I have put up a lot of family, friends and others at these properties over the years.
SlowTraveler123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.