Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Mainstay Suites Is A Conversion Brand?

Old May 3, 2024, 6:55 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Is it just me, or is Mainstay Suites a conversion brand?

A good example is the Mainstay Suites St. Louis Galleria, which started life as a Residence Inn hotel.

The ex-Hyatt House CLT airport should more than likely have the Mainstay Suites name on it.
Old May 4, 2024, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends what you mean by a conversion brand.

Ie, it may not totally be a conversion brand (as in every MainStay Suites having been a conversion), but there certainly have been some that have been conversions.

Near SNA airport in Orange California, the current MainStay Suites was originally a Quality and thus in the Choice program, then shifted to Country Inn & Suites in the (now gone as such in the USA) Radisson Rewards program, then briefly went non-chain, then came back to Choice as a MainStay Suites.

But it's hard to find the history of every MainStay Suites out there to know which of them have been conversions.

And that's the true of many hotel brands. Many hotel brands have conversions among them, but that doesn't meant they're totally conversions. There's a Quality which converted to a Comfort recently in the Irvine Spectrum area of Orange County.

Almost across the street from the MainStay Suites I just mentioned above, there was Radisson years ago that converted to Hampton about a decade or so ago I think. So even Hampton can be a conversion, but that certainly doesn't mean that all Hamptons are conversions.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It depends what you mean by a conversion brand.

Ie, it may not totally be a conversion brand (as in every MainStay Suites having been a conversion), but there certainly have been some that have been conversions.

Near SNA airport in Orange California, the current MainStay Suites was originally a Quality and thus in the Choice program, then shifted to Country Inn & Suites in the (now gone as such in the USA) Radisson Rewards program, then briefly went non-chain, then came back to Choice as a MainStay Suites.

But it's hard to find the history of every MainStay Suites out there to know which of them have been conversions.

And that's the true of many hotel brands. Many hotel brands have conversions among them, but that doesn't meant they're totally conversions. There's a Quality which converted to a Comfort recently in the Irvine Spectrum area of Orange County.

Almost across the street from the MainStay Suites I just mentioned above, there was Radisson years ago that converted to Hampton about a decade or so ago I think. So even Hampton can be a conversion, but that certainly doesn't mean that all Hamptons are conversions.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Quality Inn supposed to be for hotels that do not live up to standards?
Old May 11, 2024, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purplenightskylovertv
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Quality Inn supposed to be for hotels that do not live up to standards?
What do you mean by "live up to standards"? There are lots of different standards.

And according to the way the Choice Hotels website ranks brands, it's EconoLodge and Rodeway Inn which are at the bottom, labeled just "Travel Simply", while Comfort, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, and Country Inn & Suites, among others, are all in a "Travel & Relax" category.
Old May 12, 2024, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean by "live up to standards"? There are lots of different standards.

And according to the way the Choice Hotels website ranks brands, it's EconoLodge and Rodeway Inn which are at the bottom, labeled just "Travel Simply", while Comfort, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, and Country Inn & Suites, among others, are all in a "Travel & Relax" category.
Think about how many Comfort Inn and Sleep Inn hotels that exist out there that are downgraded to either a Quality Inn or are no longer owned by Choice Hotels.

Last edited by purplenightskylovertv; May 20, 2024 at 5:25 am Reason: i was told to do it
Old May 12, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
And according to the way the Choice Hotels website ranks brands, it's EconoLodge and Rodeway Inn which are at the bottom, labeled just "Travel Simply"
Yes, I read on here a while ago that Rodeway Inn is the bottom, as those motels are not good enough to qualify branding as any of the other ones. With that said, I have stayed in Rodeway Inns that were decent.
Old May 14, 2024, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Yes, I read on here a while ago that Rodeway Inn is the bottom, as those motels are not good enough to qualify branding as any of the other ones. With that said, I have stayed in Rodeway Inns that were decent.
Which all depends on where someone is.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Think about how many Comfort Inn and Sleep Inn hotels that exist out there that are downgraded to either a Quality Inn or are no longer owned by Choice Hotels.

I thought Quality Inn was historically above Comfort Inn and Sleep Inn?

Way back when, when there were fewer brands, the hierarchy was Clarion > Quality > Comfort > Sleep. Is that no longer the case?
Old May 23, 2024, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I thought Quality Inn was historically above Comfort Inn and Sleep Inn?

Way back when, when there were fewer brands, the hierarchy was Clarion > Quality > Comfort > Sleep. Is that no longer the case?
Correction, it is no longer the case.
heraclitus likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Most of the Quality Inns I have seen in the Southeast are exterior hallway locations. A few times I've seen an older Quality with exterior hallways across the street from a newer Comfort. I have to think that those share a franchisee and at least some staff.
Old May 26, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Most of the Quality Inns I have seen in the Southeast are exterior hallway locations. A few times I've seen an older Quality with exterior hallways across the street from a newer Comfort. I have to think that those share a franchisee and at least some staff.
Good observation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.